Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GM: "It would be a privilege to meet...& host your next stay." What does that mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GM: "It would be a privilege to meet...& host your next stay." What does that mean?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Just wanted to solicit opinions...

About a year ago, I stayed at the Hotel Ivy in Minneapolis. I had a number of problems which I may have outlined in the Ivy Master Thread. I exchanged a number of emails with the GM where he admitted the problems that were due to "a young and eager staff."

During my email exchange with the GM, I noted that Starwood has many excellent properties in Minneapolis (W, Westin, etc.) and he agreed saying: "I agree with your observation that there is tremendous choice of Starwood brands in this market, and I would never discourage you or anyone else from trying them."

At the end of the email, he said: "I don’t want to lose your business though, and will fight on to keep it. Please let me know the next time you are coming to town. You may reserve through me directly if you care to. It would be a privilege to meet you in person and to host your next stay. I hope for the opportunity."

What do you think it means to "host (my) next stay"? Thank you.

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Aug 27, 2011 at 11:12 am
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
I would take that as being an invitation to let him know when you return and he'll personally look after your stay and will no doubt try to meet up with you in person whilst you are there. Might also mean a decent upgrade and some rather attentive service too.

Pretty standard GM language from my experience.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Just wanted to solicit opinions...

About a year ago, I stayed at the Hotel Ivy in Minneapolis. I had a number of problems which I may have outlined in the Ivy Master Thread. I exchanged a number of emails with the GM where he admitted the problems that were due to a "a young and eager staff."

I noted that Starwood has many excellent properties in Minneapolis (W, Westin, etc.) and he agreed saying: "I agree with your observation that there is tremendous choice of Starwood brands in this market, and I would never discourage you or anyone else from trying them."

At the end of the email, he said: "I don’t want to lose your business though, and will fight on to keep it. Please let me know the next time you are coming to town. You may reserve through me directly if you care to. It would be a privilege to meet you in person and to host your next stay. I hope for the opportunity."

What do you think it means to "host (my) next stay"? Thank you.
I would take that to mean he wants you as his hotel's choice on your next stay/visit to Minn. I'm presuming it would allow him/the hotel to make up for the shortfalls on your last visit.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Specifically, does not mean that he's paying, however.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:25 am

Because the GM understands that there is tremendous choice of Starwood brands in his market he is hoping to give him the opportunity to host your next stay so he can introduce himself to you in person and take care of you ( maybe nice upgrade, free meal(s), complimentary Spa treatment etc..). he could also offer you a free room but if this is his intention he should say it clearly in his letter.

I got similar letter from the General Manager of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel in Vancouver. I met with his assistance ( he was traveling) and provided me with huge suite upgrade, discounted SPA treatment and a free ride in one of their BMW's to the airport.

if you travel to Minneapolis often and you like the property, i think it is a great opportunity to meet up with the GM in person as he will most likely look after all your future reservations.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KSA_USA
if you travel to Minneapolis often and you like the property, i think it is a great opportunity to meet up with the GM in person as he will most likely look after all your future reservations.
Exactly. As has been posted elsewhere, there's nothing like a personal relationship with the GM of a hotel where you stay regularly to make things just a little more comfortable and friendly.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. Let me provide a bit more color:

1) I did think that at least one night of my stay would be comp'd. But, given the general feedback here, I may have misunderstood. That's fine.

2) The GM that made the offer has since left the property so the Director of Operations replied and cc'd his reservation supervisor to work with me.

3) After four days, I finally heard from the reservation supervisor. She offered me a rate of $450 per night (this is Minneapolis, mind you) for my Thursday-Sunday stay so I assume this is rack rate. She threw in a guaranteed upgrade to a better room type (not a suite). There were significantly better non-refundable rates and better refundable rates on spg.com.

4) After I pushed back on her offer (both in terms of price and the fact that, as a Platinum, I would probably get some type of upgrade automatically), she came back with what sounded like an SPG50 rate at $225 (why wasn't this offered from the get go?) along with the guaranteed non-suite upgrade.

I was certainly put off by the initial offer. Given the immediately revised offer and the far better rates on spg.com, it doesn't exactly seem like this property is interested in service recovery, does it?

Given that any Joe-Platinum could have gone on spg.com and pulled up a better rate and probably gotten the same upgrade (i.e. a non-suite upgrade), what am I really getting? How are they really "hosting" me? No mention was made about a meal or spa treatment as was previously mentioned by another poster.

Any more thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Aug 27, 2011 at 11:15 am
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
Thank you for the thoughtful replies. Let me provide a bit more color:

1) I did think that at least one night of my stay would be comp'd. But, given the general feedback here, I may have misunderstood. That's fine.

2) The GM that made the offer has since left the property so the Director of Operations replied and cc'd his reservation supervisor to work with me.

3) After four days, I finally heard from the reservation supervisor. She offered me a rate of $450 per night (this is Minneapolis, mind you) for my Thursday-Sunday stay so I assume this is rack rate. She threw in a guaranteed upgrade to a better room type (not a suite). There were significantly better non-refundable rates and better refundable rates on spg.com.

4) After I pushed back on her offer (both in terms of price and the fact that, as a Platinum, I would probably get some type of upgrade automatically), she came back with what sounded like an SPG50 rate at $225 (why wasn't this offered from the get go?) along with the guaranteed non-suite upgrade.

I was certainly put off by the initial offer. Given the immediately revised offer and the far better rates on spg.com, it doesn't exactly seem like this property is interested in service recovery, does it?

Given that any Joe-Platinum could have gone on spg.com and pulled up a better rate and probably gotten the same upgrade (i.e. a non-suite upgrade), what am I really getting? How are they really "hosting" me? No mention was made about a meal or spa treatment as was previously mentioned by another poster.

Any more thoughts?

Thank you.

If it were me, I would say thanks but no thanks, point out that the rate is silly compared to what you can book yourself, and let them know that they are obviously not interested in your business and or customer service in general, and find a new Minn. hotel.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I too would say thanks but no thanks, point out that the rate is silly compared to what you can book yourself, and that you had service failures on a lower rate and wonder how the high rate fits with the GMs offer to recover.

(BTW, I don't think the GMs host offer was a free night, just to be a guest and have him take care of you.)
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OTOH, you could look at this as an opportunity to meet the GM. Let him buy you a drink. Explain that the rates on SPG.com are better than what you were offered. Never hurts for senior management to know who you are, regardless of the business. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Talking

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Specifically, does not mean that he's paying, however.

LOOOL, right, the manager did not invite the OP for a free stay
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Talking

Any more thoughts?
Thank you.
yes, any thoughts. why so much trouble because of a simple man who stays one or two times in a hotel
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
yes, any thoughts. why so much trouble because of a simple man who stays one or two times in a hotel
Possibly.

True be told, I do visit Minneapolis fairly often. But, I am usually at the Westin or the W.

Again, I appreciate the thoughts. What really sticks out for me is that it took four days to even engage me with an offer and when they did, any Platinum off the street could get a (significantly) better deal on spg.com. I think that says it all.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Any more thoughts?

Thank you.
Yeah friend, you need to book another property. Who needs that kind of hassle? Management does not seem very receptive in working with you.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Sounds like it's just worth staying somewhere else. It would be nice to reply with a note regarding the rates to point out the absurdity of how they tried to "make it better" with a horrible offer. But while I often give someone a second chance, they don't deserve a third with another miss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.