Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

St Regis New York City pre 2008 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis New York City pre 2008 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2001, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Arrow St Regis New York City pre 2008 [Master Thread]

I'm staying at the St. Regis, NY for two nights this Memorial Day weekend (SAT. & SUN.) for my anniversary. I have booked a superior room, which is their lowest category. I let the front desk know that it is my anniversary and that I am a corporate preferred guest.

First, what are the odds, if any, of being upgraded?--I understand that they are not that busy this weekend.

Second, are there any rooms in particular or a number series that are better than others in the superior, deluxe, gran luxe, etc., categories?

Third, what do you tip the butler? Hey, I've never stayed at a hotel with butler service.

Fourth, are there any other inside tips about the hotel that one should know before they go?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2001, 7:45 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
We stayed there earlier this year on an award stay (I'm Gold Preferred Guest). We were given what I would call a mini-suite (large living area, just no wall/door between it and the sleeping area), I think that's an upgrade ...

We tipped the Butler each time we saw him/her for whatever request and based on the nature of the request ... usually around $5 or so though each time. I was planning on giving him/her $20 first thing, but for some reason I just didn't get the right vibe at the time to do that ... and ended up tipping for each service.
Old May 23, 2001, 12:55 pm

I've always stayed in grande luxe catagory and have yet to be upgraded from that. I usually stay there 2-3x per year.

The rooms I have been in have also always overlooked 55th street and had no real view (office buildings). Fifth Ave. is the preferred view, but I believe most of the rooms that face 5th are suites. The hotel is really more about the beautiful rooms and service than the view.

The butler takes care of nearly everything room related except room service i.e. laundry, housekeeping issues, etc. as well as getting umbrellas etc. I agree with the previous poster that it is preferable to tip as you go as the butlers seem to change often, so you may tip in the begining and never see that butler again.

Hope this helps.
Old May 24, 2001, 8:50 am

Our room faced some street or other looking into an office building ... not really much of a view at all unfortunately, but that was okay. The room itself was great.

We had the butler press clothes for us a few times ... and they also bring your coffee each morning (no coffee makers there) ... I think that's all we asked for during our stay ...
Old Aug 3, 2001, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
St. Regis NYC suggestions?

It's a big birthday for my wife this month. We live in NYC but, I'm planning to do a special weekend and stay at the St Regis one Sat evening without kids. I've booked a room in a few weeks using SPG points.

Anyone have suggestions about special requests I should make? I'm SPG Gold. Is it possible to assure an upgrade to a suite with more points?

Thinking about going to the theater Sat afternoon, and dinner at Lespinasse in the evening. What is Sunday brunch at the hotel like?

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2001, 6:03 pm

well, even plat members dont get suite upgrade there. they may upgrade plat to the Grand delux room but not for gold members. since you have a special event they may give you one of the gand delux rooms. grand delux rooms are almost mini suites.

if you want a suite you can spend more points to get it. or pay for the room and spend the points on the upgrade.

good luck and happy birthday
Old Aug 3, 2001, 7:20 pm

When I stayed there (St. Regis New York, not Essex House) on an award stay as a Gold I was given a very large Junior Suite (or whatever they call it).
Old Jul 1, 2002, 12:08 am
Suspended

St. Regis New York - Excellent Stay in an Upgraded Suite

Booked a free night using the Conde Naste promotion this past Saturday for my parents. Upon check-in, my Platinum status was recognized by two very helpful ladies at the front desk (yes, two agents were helping me at once since I was the only one checking in at the time).

I was told that I was upgraded to a Madison Suite but it wouldn't be ready until 3 PM (I arrived at noon). I put my parents' names on the folio and mentioned that they were having dinner at Lespinace at 8 PM. They proactively volunteered to check on the reservation.

My parents arrived at 3 PM and the suite was ready. The butler quickly followed up offering tea. Housekeeping stopped by three times before 8 PM to see if any freshening was needed. Bottled water, cookies, and fresh fruit was delivered. There was also a letter from the Rooms Manager welcoming me back (I hadn't stayed since 1996 actually). There was also a letter from the GM (Guenther) recognizing my Preferred Guest status.

The suite was lovely and the service was great. I stopped by for drinks in the King Cole Bar after my parents had finished their 3+ hour dinner.

The stay was magnificent according to the folks, which more than makes up for my dreadful stay at the Sheraton New Orleans a week earlier.

You go, Starwood.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 07-01-2002).]
Old Jul 30, 2002, 11:57 am

St. Regis NY– Great Hotel Now Provides Platinum Recognition & Meeting with New GM

I returned to this hotel with my girlfriend for three days in mid-July. Overall with one minor service glitch, this was an outstanding stay and appears to indicate a new attitude by this hotel toward the SPG Program and Platinum Members. My last thread on this hotel elicited about 150 comments regarding its non-participation in the SPG Program. I wanted to meet with the new General Manager (he has been there a month) and directly understand how the hotel feels about the SPG Program and Platinum Members and report back to this group.

Overall service was excellent from the doorman, reception, bellman and butlers. Service was fast, efficient and friendly. I was greeted by a butler on arrival on my floor. He offered to explain the services of the hotel, brought a pot of coffee and took the garments for pressing (complementary pressing of two per person). I used the butler for numerous services during this stay and with one exception was very impressed. It is a smooth and professional service, to which one can easily become accustomed. The one exception was the butler did not respond to three calls one morning between 6:30 and 8:05 AM when I was trying to get a pot of coffee. In my later meeting with the GM I told him about this and he was quite annoyed at the service failure, calling it unacceptable and said that I should not have waited but called the front desk and spoken to a manager and it would have been corrected by 6:45 AM. When checking out there was also a minor error on my bill, it was immediately corrected without question.

The Concierge Staff is very helpful and quite good at getting desirable tables at many of the better restaurants. One restaurant even sent over a couple of glasses of Champaign because the Concierge had made the reservation. However, unfortunately they cannot work miracles and get one into very high demand restaurants on very short notice.

The King Cole Bar is a really enjoyable watering hole, especially the lounge area outside the bar with an excellent piano player in the evening.

Without asking I was upgraded to an Executive Suite on the 10th Floor. It had two good sized windows and was high enough that it got reasonable natural light. The suite was approximately 800 square feet with one and a half baths; two good sized closets, a non-working fireplace, high ceilings, and chandlers in both rooms and the bath. The rooms were separated by double wide pocket doors. The bedroom was quite spacious and held a king bed, end tables, dresser, a chair and a TV with VCR. The sitting room was very comfortably furnished with a sofa, end tables, two easy chairs, a desk and an entertainment center with TV, nice stereo and mini-bar. By the way, the hotel now charges the high Starwood rates for phone calls and charges $20 per day for high speed internet access.

Housekeeping was outstanding. The room was always immaculate (housekeepers only clean eight rooms per day, which is several less than at most high end hotels). One morning, we had to leave early and frankly left some of our clothes on a chair. When we returned they were hanging up or folded as appropriate – very nice. The fruit bowl was refreshed daily and the complementary bottled water twice per day.

My discussion with the new GM was an interesting and productive conversation and illustrated his strong commitment to the SPG Program by the hotel. In a 90 minute conversation we covered the following:

• He said the hotel is now fully committed to the SPG Program and Platinum recognition. A substantial portion of the hotel’s business is derived from SPG Members and they will receive the benefits to which they are entitled. SPG Members are especially appreciated as the hotel’s business, especially international, like all NY hotels has been negatively impacted by 9-11. To insure this Platinum Recognition he has set up a program where every day he and the Front Office Manager review all arriving SPG Platinum and SPG VIP guests to be sure they have been upgraded if at all possible.

• The hotel has 91 suites in many categories. Only a handful of really over the top suites (5 -8) are excluded from the upgrade pool. The hotel basically uses a rolling upgrade policy filling the 20 Astor Suites first and going up from there as demand requires.

• The GM said suite upgrades should be available on a regular basis to Platinum Members given the number of suites they have. However they seem to actually sell a number of suites, so upgrades will occasionally not be available. This will be especially true in the fall, from mid-September to mid-December which is traditionally the hotel’s and NY’s busiest time. What will happen to business this fall is not clear, though he believes it will pick up. Apparently some newly opened five star hotels are really suffering.

• The Platinum Amenity is being revaluated. Currently it is a pastry platter on arrival. The GM is looking at this and will probably try something more creative in the future, though no decision has been made.

• I was given a tour or description of several of the suites. The first several categories are two room one and a half bath suites where the bedroom and living room are separated by double wide pocket doors similar to the one I received. The next several categories are true one bedroom, two bath suites with the rooms separated by a hall and entrance foyer. The bathrooms in all the rooms and suites are very similar in size and configuration.

• The handful of suites which are not in the upgrade pool are truly over the top 1,500 to 3,500 square feet with multiple bedrooms and several bathrooms. In all fairness they (especially the Imperial Suite) are among the most spectacular hotel suites I have ever seen.

• The GM did not want to discuss the poor recognition of Platinum Members prior to his arrival and wanted to focus on the future. I took this as his accepting there was a problem prior to his tenure, but one which he intended to fully correct. He said that he made clear to his staff that the program will be followed in both letter and spirit. He further said that lying to guests is unethical and wrong and does a hotel no good - the guest almost always finds out the truth and will never return. He said if there were any problems guest should contact him and he will quickly get back to them and resolve them. He said there is no excuse for a manager with the authority to resolve a problem not being quickly available to guests at a hotel of this caliber. That is the essence of high quality service – solving problems as they arise.

• The GM’s background is primarily with Rosewood Hotels and he wants the St. Regis NY to be a step above them, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton and the like. I think he has the commitment and personality to do so – or at least make one hell of a try. The GM and Starwood are committed to making the St. Regis NY the best hotel in the world. The current high standards in housekeeping, service and dining will be enhanced. For example hotel has a total of 32 butlers to provide 24/7 butler service to all the rooms. The hotel will be undergoing a significant soft goods and technological upgrade during the next two years.

I think the best thing I can say which seems to illustrate the change in attitude occurred when we checked out. While we were checking out a gentleman was checking in. Without his asking the receptionist welcomed him back, acknowledged his Platinum Status and told him he had been upgraded to a St. Regis Suite. Let’s all hope this illustrates the new commitment of this hotel to the SPG Program and its Platinum Members. However, only time will tell if this new behavior is a real long term committemnt by this hotel.

I encourage everyone to continue to report back their experiences.

[This message has been edited by BIL_Flyer (edited 07-30-2002).]
Old Jul 30, 2002, 12:35 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Bil_Flyer: BRAVO on the work you have done on behalf of all us Plats and for your posting such a thorough report. Can we clone this GM throughout the Starwood system???
Old Jul 30, 2002, 12:43 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BIL_Flyer:
• The hotel has 91 suites in many categories. Only a handful of really over the top suites (5 -8) are excluded from the upgrade pool. The hotel basically uses a rolling upgrade policy filling the 20 Astor Suites first and going up from there as demand requires.</font>
i stayed a couple of weekends ago. after some arm twisting, i was upgraded to a suite.

while it may be picky, i thought platinum's are given the "best available room" at check-in. from your comments, it seems like platinums get the worst available suite and then the hotel goes "up from there as demand requires."

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 07-30-2002).]
Old Jul 30, 2002, 1:06 pm

MereMin - This hotel has no Astor Floor as all the Floors are in effect Astor Floors because Butler Service is available to all. For example, the DC St. Regis and I believe some others offer part-time butler service to a designated Astor Floor and to all Suites. The defination of Astor Floors varies between hotels. A few St. Regis hotels have an Astor Floor Lounge, most do not.

Fly CO To See The Yanks - I see your point, however, I think what is happening is much better than in the past. In the past only Astor Suites (when, if ever they updgraded someone) were available for upgrades and everything else was excluded.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 1:35 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Bill,
Thanks for your work.
Do you or anyone else have an idea of the names given to the different categories of suites, so that when Plats check online to see the room category they will know what they have been upgraded too, or be in a position to make an educated upgrade request to the hotel?
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:47 pm

BIL_Flyer, thanks for all of your work and comments on this issue. I know it takes a fair amount of time to share this information with us and I appreciate the thoroughness in your post as well as the professional manner in which you represented us FlyerTalkers and our concerns.

I have an upcoming award stay here and am really looking forward to it.

As jetsetter posted, I'd also like to see a breakdown of the different suite categories along with their descriptions. Even though some of those suites are not eligible to be upgraded into, I sure am curious as to what they are. Perhaps William can share this information with us?
Old Jul 30, 2002, 11:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetsetter:
Bill,
Thanks for your work.
Do you or anyone else have an idea of the names given to the different categories of suites, so that when Plats check online to see the room category they will know what they have been upgraded too, or be in a position to make an educated upgrade request to the hotel?
</font>
Based on the Suite Tariff List that I picked up from my last stay; (price order from low to high)

Astor Suite
Deluxe Suite
Madison Suite
St. Regis Suite (1 or 2 bedroom)
Fifth Avenue Suite
Grand Suite (1 or 2 bedroom)
Designer Suite (1 or 2 bedroom)
Imperial Suite (1/2/3 bedroom)
Governor Suite (1 or 2 bedroom)
Presidential Suite (2 or 3 bedroom)

SPG platinums can be upgraded to Astor Suite mainly, including some possibilities to Madison/St. Regis Suite. I was given Madison Suite 3 weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.