Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: how long for a points transfer to an airline? (2006-2007) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: how long for a points transfer to an airline? (2006-2007) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2006, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Exclamation FAQ: how long for a points transfer to an airline? (2006-2007) [Master Thread]

I have a (hopefully) quick question for someone who understands these things...

I recently had a frustrating experience trying to transfer Starpoints to an airline FF account (Delta) for a shortly upcoming flight. I was admittedly trying to fund an award ticket within 14 days of departure, which I completely understand is too close for any of the parties involved to guarantee the transfer. That said, I have had good luck with transfers in the past, and I thought I would give it a shot.

Okay... so my question: What is the process by which Starpoints get from SPG to an airline account?

In this case, CSR's on both sides were extremely courteous and helpful, but were unable to give me any kind of an ETA or status on the transfer. SPG confirmed that the points had been electronically transferred out of my account, but Delta had no record of any incoming transfer. Delta even offered to contact the "liason" (an unnamed entity) to see if they had any record of the transfer (they did not). At the end of the day, SPG could confirm authoritatively that my points had left SPG. But neither Delta nor (apparently) the liason had any record of any kind showing points received or miles pending.

Isn't this whole thing an electronic process from end to end? Is there some kind of a manual review procedure? Does this become a fax or a paper form at some point?

I didn't want to waste anyone's time, since I was trying to accomplish this within a narrow window.... but I was just looking for someone to say: "The transfer is confirmed, and you should see the miles in your account on X date."

My feeling was that no one really knew how points got from SPG on the one end to FF miles on the other end. It's like the transfer process was just a black box, and the CSR's had no more information than I had.

How does this work?

Many thanks in advance for your insight!
Old May 31, 2006, 11:49 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by HChrist
...How does this work?

Many thanks in advance for your insight!
The basic answer is that it works according to the contractual obligations we have with the particular airline, which can be as individual as the number of airline partners we have.

For instance, some want the information sent digitally, some want it electronically, and some want it sent by tape. How we send to individual carriers is proprietary information that I, nor anyone else at Starwood, can make public information.

Then there is the question of how often do they want to receive the information. Some would take it two or three times a week. Others don't want it anymore than twice a month. And, there are some that fall within these extremes. Hence the 14 - 30 day rule in the T&C's. We'd like to give you some expectations, but they have to be as broad and general as possible to cover all the options.

Checking just the Delta transfers, there don't appear to be any problems between us systemically-speaking. Did you exceed the daily transfer limit? Does the name on your SPG account match perfectly with your Delta account? These are the two most often-noted reasons for delays in airline transfers, but in any case, you can call the Customer Contact Center and request a follow-up be done by our affinity department. Depending upon traffic, it takes about another 5 - 7 business days.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old May 31, 2006, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I've only done it once, but again, SPG handled it professionally and promptly.

Several years ago, we wanted 2 F/C awards on BA from SFO to BUD. I think I already had some points in my BA account, but not many. I did a significant transfer (or, if there is a daily limit, maybe several transfers...I can't remember as it was 3-4 years ago), but within a week, all of the points were in my BA account.

I was very impressed with the speed of service by SPG.
Old May 31, 2006, 5:17 pm
pdb

I've seen Amex Rewards points-to-miles transferred instantaneously; however, my recent (yesterday) transfer of SPG point to AA miles is the 1st time I've effected such a transfer, and thanks to the timely info in this thread, I'm glad that AA is giving me a couple of weeks to have the necessary points in the account in order to issue the AAward tickets.

Last edited by pdb; Jun 3, 2006 at 9:23 pm
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:00 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
How Long To Transfer to CO

How long on average does it take for points to transfer to Continental? I have already held my reservation with them and I need the points to transfer Pronto! I did the transfer yesterday afternoon, I would like to have the reservation ticketed as soon as possible so that I can get my visa. Anyone know? What about if I call and ask them to rush it?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
How long on average does it take for points to transfer to Continental? I have already held my reservation with them and I need the points to transfer Pronto! I did the transfer yesterday afternoon, I would like to have the reservation ticketed as soon as possible so that I can get my visa. Anyone know? What about if I call and ask them to rush it?
Regrettably, we don't have a rush agreement with CO. It can take up to 14 days for a domestic airline transfer. Longer if the airline rejects it for some reason. However, as with anything of this sort, YMMV.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:39 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
grad,
there is no predicting and AFAIK it simply depends on when a) starwood hands off the credits to Onepass and b) when Onepass credits the miles to your account.

As lurker mentioned, it can take as many as 14 days. My experience is consistent w/ this timetable.

I would not count on that Continental reservation being ticketed unless is has 7-10 days or so "on hold". I once moved some starpoints to OnePass...and waited and waited...finally had to use AMEX membership reward points (which can be use to fulfill OnePass award reservations instantly inside the OnePass wenb site BTW) because my reservation was on the expiration day...and of course my starpoints came through the very next day. YMMV
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:02 am

Starwood to US Airways Points Transfer Advice

Converted 40k Starwood points to 50k US Air dividend miles on 7/18.

Miles haven't shown. I called Starwood today and they said the miles were redeemed on 7/23 and should be there. Verified they had the correct account #.

Anyone got any advice on how long it takes US Airways to give them to me?

Should I be calling US Air?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:32 am

You should be calling no one until 14 days after the transfer was requested. After that point, you should be calling SPG.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:15 am

Thanks for the reply. In the past (other airlines) it usually took a couple of days. I know that 14 days is what is written.

I called in to check that the account # they transferred to was keyed correctly. The CSR that did it was kinda flakey.

When I asked what the transfer status was, CSR said it should have shown up because the points were transferred 7/18 and showed redeemed on 7/23.

To be more explicit, the answers I was solicting were in regards to how long US Airways transfers took in the past?
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by colebert
...When I asked what the transfer status was, CSR said it should have shown up because the points were transferred 7/18 and showed redeemed on 7/23...
Sorry that you were misinformed. The redemption date has nothing to do with when the airline receives the points. This information is used for internal auditing purposes only.

If the transfer does not arrive by August 2nd, then give the Customer Contact Center a call and ask them to do an airline transfer follow-up.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:17 am

Miles posted MIDNIGHT tonight (8/7).

Three weeks to the day I transferred them and exactly one day after I ended up using my skymiles to book my flight.

Lesson learnt.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
How long for a point transfer to a FF account?

Does anyone know how long it generally takes for a point transfer to a FF account? I just did a transfer to my NW account. The website states that it takes 2-4 weeks, but I am curious as to whether it takes that long in practice. Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Points transferred until Friday usually post by Wednesday the week after.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Well, I was hopeful that my miles would have posted today (I submitted the request on 8/27), but they didn't. I called SPG to see if they could tell me the status of the request, but was only told "it can take up to two weeks". Anyone have any thoughts on when I might see these miles? This was to a NW account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.