Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Lounge in Bangkok

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Lounge in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I spent a few hours in the EVA lounge last night. It was so nice, I didn't bother to hop over to the Royal Silk/Orchid or the CIP lounges.

Three types of soup, pork fried rice, two types of pizza, 5 different sandwiches, salads, the works. You choice of about 10 different ice creams as well, since they have a whole freezer of Swensons cups and Magnum bars. Plus a bunch of cakes and pies. A giant stack of ramen cups too.

It's a funky-looking lounge - I nearly walked into a wall since they have some really nutty lighting and decor. The whole place feels like an modern art installation. Great food though.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by stanj
Tried the SQ lounge in A for the first time. Definitely a more calm and comfortable environment than the chaotic TG lounges, which always seem overcrowded and hot. Although, I thought the food offerings were slightly better at the TG lounge.

There was a big sign saying an expanded SQ lounge was in the works, hopefully it will include toilets and showers.

+1 Had the pleasure of visiting the SQ lounge a few months ago - the F&B was great (read: 10x better than TG) and it was virtually deserted. The only hassle is the location on the A pier, which was a long hike to the E gates. But definitely the place to go if you are *A and have time to kill. ^
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1 Had the pleasure of visiting the SQ lounge a few months ago - the F&B was great (read: 10x better than TG) and it was virtually deserted. ^
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You might be the first person I've come across thinking TG was better for food, but in any small window of time I suppose it's possible.
Guess there's not accounting for taste

I must have hit the SQ lounge on an off night. It was quite late, so that might have had something to do with it. Plus, I'm partial to the steamed banana leaf wrapped sticky rice at the TG lounge.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:34 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I went lounge-hopping to compare what are arguably the best 2 *A lounges in BKK: BR and SQ.

The old SQ lounge was quite far in concourse A, but they have now opened a new lounge centrally located in D. The new lounge is better than the old and can compete with BR's lounge. There is a large staffed bar in the middle of the lounge and several hot food options. The old SQ lounge did not have toilets but the new lounge does. Still no showers however since it's a short flight to SIN.

The BR lounge's location in the F concourse might not be as favorable as SQ depending on departure gate but not too bad either. The lounge has a funky design and is much larger than the SQ lounge. I found it to be a much quieter place with lots of free seating at the time I visited (8pm-10pm). Food is more limited than SQ but still quite good. BR's lounge has showers.

On my next trip, if time is limited and if my gate was not too far from F, then my choice would be BR's lounge. However you cannot go wrong with the SQ lounge either.
LPQ likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Is it possible to walk to the SQ lounge in D if you are departing on a domestic flight, or is there additional security to enter the international wing at BKK?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lafemme
Is it possible to walk to the SQ lounge in D if you are departing on a domestic flight, or is there additional security to enter the international wing at BKK?
The dom and int areas are separated by security and accessible only by pax with applicable tickets.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dsquared37
The dom and int areas are separated by security and accessible only by pax with applicable tickets.
Yeah you have to clear Thailand immigration outbound to access the international side. Not possible on a domestic ticket.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Sorry, but not possible/not allowed. First of all because you would have to clear Thai immigration to get access to int. depart. area.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah you have to clear Thailand immigration outbound to access the international side. Not possible on a domestic ticket.
Bummer. I'm guessing there isn't anything good on the domestic side?

It's always a treat when you can access the International lounges even when flying domestic (ie Star Alliance lounge in LAX)
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat

It's always a treat when you can access the International lounges even when flying domestic (ie Star Alliance lounge in LAX)
There is a domestic TG lounge.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Nothing worth spending any more time there than you have to. The only reason to spend more than 30 minutes in TG's domestic lounge is a delayed flight.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
There is a domestic TG lounge.
Which is horrible. Very outdated and minimal food options. No alcohol at all.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kats
Oh, I didn't know. Sorry!!
I learned something new today as well
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I recently missed my 0200 flight on Shenzen, went to one TG lounge that seemed to be 24/7 or almost. It was pretty lame. But, I gotta say BKK is a bit dizzying. My first experience flying ex-BKK was in J, so I had premium check-in, security, and went down an escalator literally right into a lounge. I liked that TG lounge, it was quite nice, had a good food spread, lots of seating, wasn't crowded. This TG lounge, honestly, not sure where I was, but it was dated, had WAY too much lighting the seats were basically all the same, food looked ok, but there seemed to be nowhere to really be able to prop up a laptop.

So I passed out on a couch in the terminal for a bit to do some lounge hopping. I was gonna visit the SQ one but after arriving at the BR lounge, I was kinda awestruck! Never left lol. The food didn't appeal to me, but there was a decent selection. The magnum bars were a nice touch, didn't want one at like 6am though. Drink selection seemed pretty good. Bathrooms were nice, had a decent view of the ramp IIRC. The decor was what really stood out though. Kinda funky.

I found it odd that BR even had a lounge, I'm sure they have 5-6 flights a day between BKK-TPE, but just checking the wiki now I forgot they used BKK as the 5th freedom go between. Sidebar, anyone know why they do it? The distance between AMS-BKK and AMS-TPE is negligible. Is it just a good market for more paying passengers? But thinking about that does make sense that they'd have a lounge there.

I've been to multiple BR lounges and I think they do a pretty good job. The SFO one sucked, but it was also REALLY small, but this one at BKK and their home base TPE are both very good imo.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I found it odd that BR even had a lounge, I'm sure they have 5-6 flights a day between BKK-TPE, but just checking the wiki now I forgot they used BKK as the 5th freedom go between. Sidebar, anyone know why they do it? The distance between AMS-BKK and AMS-TPE is negligible. Is it just a good market for more paying passengers? But thinking about that does make sense that they'd have a lounge there.
Historically, BR/CI have struggled with obtaining overflight rights over the PRC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.