Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance Gold lounge in HKG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Flown through HKG many times...

UA for showers (and frankly it is one of the best RCCs there are), but ambience, free wifi and even food isn't too bad.

TG avoid shower, but nicer food and view is similar to UA.

TG and UA are adjacent to gates well away from the terminal (Gate 40 and 61 respectively)

SQ lounge is at the main terminal so is a fair walk, has no exterior windows, and while the food is ok, I would never use it again.

Never found UA or TG lounges overcrowded (in business class sections anyway, both also have first class sections which appear to simply be quieter with nicer seats).
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:59 pm

i think the SQ lounge will become more crowded since they started operating the A380.....just dont hit the same time as that dep.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
The only time I've found TG lounge crowded is in the evening before the TG flights to TPE and BKK depart. Also, there have been quite a few UA travelers using TG lounge in the evening before the SGN and SIN UA flights.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Looking for the latest. The consensus from 2009 seems to be:

TG = best overall; best food
UA = best shower
SQ = has Hagen Daz ice cream

Is that still the case? I'm assuming all 3 are available to *G.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by italdesign

UA = best shower

I've used both the TG and SQ numerous times while flying various *A airlines, no issues with admittance. I find them to be about equal but there is no toilet in the SQ lounge but I do seem to remember a bigger selection of food there compared to the TG lounge. Also the SQ lounge is not near the gates where most of the *A airlines will depart from, if I recall correctly the only *A carriers departing in the area of the SQ lounge are SQ and CA. Can't speak for the UA lounge but have heard from others its decent.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

UA = best shower

I have not been to the new SQ lounge since the refurbishing was done earlier this year. I will visit it later this month.

IMHO, other than than lack of the bathroom and the location, I rank SQ lounge fairly high on the list. It has much better food, abundance of reading materials and quiet feeling. TG and UA may have been hardware, but it is too open spaced for my taste and the noise level and traffic can be high during certain time of the day. I find SQ lounge to be more peaceful.....but that is just me... after my usual stays of experiencing the HK crowd and fast pace of life, SQ tranquility is welcomed.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:23 pm

Reporting back my experience. Went to UA, TG, and Plaza Premium on the same evening. Of the 3, TG was the best hands down.

UA - shower room was wayyy too hot. I was sweating seconds after showering. Lounge agents were comparable to domestic gate agents, i.e. not pleasant and even worse than domestic UC agents. And the sofa cushions were way too soft for sitting. The only thing I liked was the food, which wasn't particularly good but I had been eating Asian food nonstop for a week, so found the Western options a nice change (but there are only 2-3 hot items total). Will not come again, unless I'm craving Western food.

Plaza Premium - Overcrowded. More food options than UA. Shower is in a different "building", so less convenient. Did not try the shower.

TG - food was comparable to PP. I didn't use the shower but did look - seems just a bit smaller than UA; it temperature is OK I would definitely use it over UA shower. Agents were the nicest of the 3. Gave us blankets to keep. Not crowded.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Tried three of the lounges today. SQ by far the best, in terms of ambiance, personnel, and especially the food! Second place was TG. Air China was terrible. Did not try UA.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Reporting back my experience. Went to UA, TG, and Plaza Premium on the same evening. Of the 3, TG was the best hands down.
Originally Posted by 747FC
Tried three of the lounges today. SQ by far the best, in terms of ambiance, personnel, and especially the food! Second place was TG. Air China was terrible. Did not try UA.
Neither Plaza Premium (LX) or CNAC are *G lounges, they are contract lounges, which means you have to fly on the specific airlines that issue a lounge invite to gain access, same as VS Clubhouse (BR). For example, a UA*G flying UA or SQ*G flying SQ or AC*G flying AC would NEVER get access to any of those lounges !

Btw, Air China has no lounge in HKG, Air China use that CNAC lounge in HKG, which OZ also use it (base on it is closest to the OZ gates). CNAC lounge is a lounge mainly used by all those Chinese carriers like CA, CZ, MU. (CNAC is basically equivalent to CAAC, the former parent of CA, CZ, MU !)

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 16, 2014 at 12:16 pm
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Neither Plaza Premium (LX) or CNAC are *G lounges, they are contract lounges
I only mention the former because I went there. But you're right, it's not on topic strictly speaking.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:38 pm

*A Gold Card, TG Lounge, 12/06, noon

Hi, I'm *A Gold, and will be at TG lounge in HKG on Saturday 06 Dec, 2014 at 11:30 am - noon. There will be two lady friends with me, and I can sign in one as my guest into lounge.

Any other *A Gold in TG lounge in HKG around that time who can sign in the 2nd lady friend as his/her guest?

If the TG and SQ lounges are close to each other, can I sign one friend into one lounge and the 2nd into the other lounge?

Last edited by tangoll; Nov 20, 2014 at 8:43 pm Reason: minor edit typos.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by tangoll
If the TG and SQ lounges are close to each other, can I sign one friend into one lounge and the 2nd into the other lounge?
Of course. However, the person who does not get into SQ lounge will be envious.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA *Gold (1 MM)
Originally Posted by tangoll

SQ lounge is not what I consider to be "close", but you may have a different opinion. I consider the UA Club to be very close to TG lounge.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Flexible Flyer
SQ lounge is not what I consider to be "close", but you may have a different opinion. I consider the UA Club to be very close to TG lounge.
Agree. TG & UA are up in the "Y" whereas SQ is at the foot of the terminal - a good 5-10 minutes walk away.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Agree. TG & UA are up in the "Y" whereas SQ is at the foot of the terminal - a good 5-10 minutes walk away.
5-10 minutes walk ? Only if you RUN !

It is more like 15 minutes walk !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.