Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance Gold lounge in HKG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Star Alliance Gold lounge in HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I've got my first BR (EVA) flight out of HKIA coming up next week. I think BR uses T1 while TG uses T2. Which lounge is recommended in T1? Sounds like the SQ lounge is dark & dingy and the UA lounge is typical UA (crappy food). Maybe I'll hit up both and have some lunch in SQ and then look for daylight in the UC.

Thanks,
-RM
T1 and T2 are just fancy names for check-in area. They are not really actual passenger terminus as you imagine.

So you will have access to all 3.

Note - make sure you are booked to BR metal. BR sometimes codeshare with HX as well. If you are on a codeshare flight, you may not have lounge access unless BR issue a lounge pass.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I've checked out the SilverKrys and needed to go no further:
*Excellent food quality. Local food was not just authentic but high quality.
*Champagne (Moet) and proper cocktails, but also self service draft beer.
*Staff attentive, helpful and abundant.
*Despite being quite crowded, was impressed with the cleanliness. Place was immaculate and empty tableware cleared instantly.

Having come from the aspire in BHX, boy what a different world.

Yes the place has no windows. Thats the only drawback really.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I've checked out the SilverKrys and needed to go no further:
*Excellent food quality. Local food was not just authentic but high quality.
*Champagne (Moet) and proper cocktails, but also self service draft beer.
*Staff attentive, helpful and abundant.
*Despite being quite crowded, was impressed with the cleanliness. Place was immaculate and empty tableware cleared instantly.

Having come from the aspire in BHX, boy what a different world.

Yes the place has no windows. Thats the only drawback really.
Thanks for the DP! We're leaning toward this lounge as well when we fly out in a few months at 8 AM. I wonder if anyone can say if it'll be as crowded and service will be comparable quality at around this time?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, LH / *A Gold, BA Bronze
Currently sitting in the Singapore lounge waiting for our LH flight. LH actually hands out vouchers to the Hongkong Airlines "VIP Lounge" as it is the closest to the gate.

Food and drinks are good, there is an Asahi beer station and they pour Moet & Chandon champagne glasses, I ate a bit of salad and Hagen Dasz ice cream and it is good. As mentioned, the lounge has no windows, so feels a bit dated and cramped, but if you don't mind I think it is a good lounge. Certainly not the best I've ever been in, but it does the deal.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, LH / *A Gold, BA Bronze
Just arrived back home, we actually also went to check out the Hong Kong Airlines "VIP Lounge" which is close to the 2xx gates. The catering looks very much the same as in the Singapore lounge, so I assume it is the same caterer and food and drinks are the same.

This lounge seems newer and with more light, I went to take a quick shower and they have L'Occitane en Provence shower gel and shampoo which I really like. The shower was clean and everything was efficient.

Next time, I would probably choose this lounge over the Singapore lounge.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond Plus, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Singapore, while no bathroom (still not fixed) and no views, has the best food and drinks. Depending on the flights, it can get very busy. The Thai lounge’s food is not very good. The United Lounge has a nice layout. While the F&B is better than their domestic lounges, it’s still not great. If I didn’t have access to the Centurion Lounge, I’d vote for Singapore for their food and United for the layout and views.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyerTalker70
I used to think the HKG was the best UC in terms of food and amenities, then I visited the one in LHR!

-James
Compared to US UCs, sure I could agree with that statement. Compared to other lounges like CX Wing or AMEX Centurion, I give it a .
Old Nov 25, 2020, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I had a two hour layover last month so I went to three lounges

Singapore SilverKris Lounge

By far the worst looking and least pleasant physically of the lounges. Not only is it a dark cave without enough outlets but their bathrooms are closed for renovation until February. On the plus side they had a good selection of hot and cold food and soft and hard drinks. It was the best of the lounges to make lunch at

Thai Royal Orchid Lounge

Much more pleasant for relaxing in though the multiple colors take a little getting used to. Food selection is far worse (though they had Doritos...yay?) and booze is also cheaper and of lower quality

United Club

Very pleasant to sit in, they have the updated United Club design, but food is by far the worst and the alcohol selection is all brands I haven't heard of (save Finlandia) and I spent five years working in a restaurant.
I visited all three *A lounges at HKG in February and I was so disappointed with the quay of the food. The front desk rep at the Thai lounge said they're actually managed by Plaza Premium. AMEX Centurion was so much better for food.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
The Centurion was pretty full. Very few if any seats in the main area. Families/groups appeared to have commandeered the conference room and the other (smaller) room. Lots of kids running around (this was a Saturday morning). The only peaceful place to sit was at the “workbench” area to the side. They were still serving breakfast so I wasn’t interested in eating but the buffet selection was good so that bodes well for lunch/dinner. And of course there’s the full bar.

The Plaza Premium main entrance was closed so people were checked in at the mid lounge “gate”. The food area was packed, and the breakfast selection was mediocre. But they do have a noodle bar that was popular and out the back near the tiny bar some finger sandwiches. The work area was full of people sleeping. But out the back there were several seats/tables unoccupied and that area was quiet.

My overall rankings would be -

1) TG
2=) United and Centurion. Centurion for the bar, but UA for the space.
4=) Plaza Premium and SQ. The only reason to use SQ would be if departing from the low numbered gates (1-10).

I’m returning to the US from HKG this coming Monday (on UA). I’ll give TG, Centurion and UC another look. And as a bonus if you’re lucky (aka I wake up early Sunday and make it to the airport in time) I plan to do a tour of the lounges at BKK. I’ve already made that commitment to the TrioAdvisor Bangkok forum for the pay/PP lounges.
I agree that UA is good for the space, but in terms of food, it's not even close. AMEX Centurion is so much better than any of the *A lounges. Plaza Premium is definitely the second best. I'll take that over any of the *A lounges.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
While I like the Centurion Lounge in HK, it is often crowded with not enough outlets for charging. A terrible oversight in this day and age.
Absolutely. It's simply way too small. I wish AMEX would proceed to expand the size of the lounge like what they did in the US as demand increase. The lounge isn't even that old. I'm surprised outlets aren't more prevalent. If I fly J on OW, I rather go to the CX lounges.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I've got my first BR (EVA) flight out of HKIA coming up next week. I think BR uses T1 while TG uses T2. Which lounge is recommended in T1? Sounds like the SQ lounge is dark & dingy and the UA lounge is typical UA (crappy food). Maybe I'll hit up both and have some lunch in SQ and then look for daylight in the UC.

Thanks,
-RM
Neither. In terms of food, they're both crap. If you don't have an AMEX Platinum, go to the Plaza Premium.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frab1
Currently sitting in the Singapore lounge waiting for our LH flight. LH actually hands out vouchers to the Hongkong Airlines "VIP Lounge" as it is the closest to the gate.

Food and drinks are good, there is an Asahi beer station and they pour Moet & Chandon champagne glasses, I ate a bit of salad and Hagen Dasz ice cream and it is good. As mentioned, the lounge has no windows, so feels a bit dated and cramped, but if you don't mind I think it is a good lounge. Certainly not the best I've ever been in, but it does the deal.
Oh? I had no idea they offered champagne. I should have gotten a few glasses when I was lounge hopping. Good food? I doubt you would say that after trying the Centurion Lounge.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:04 am

Is there a *A lounge open if I fly business and transit through HKG in Aug or Sep?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I remember I had like 4-6 hours to kill and I ended up in F on SQ outta HKG and visited every *A lounge in HKG.

The one with the best food was the UA Global First lounge with made-to-order-food. But you needed to be in first class to enter, or a top-tier elite. Otherwise I think the main section was kind of crummy

Last edited by NWplatinum; Aug 6, 2021 at 7:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.