Wiki Posts
Search

*A Y Award Trip Report [MOVED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:54 am
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

*A Y Award Trip Report [MOVED]

I always travel with the intentions of writing up a report, as I have seen some excellent ones on here. Unfortunately, I always lapse and never get "a round tuit"

Here is hopefully the first of many.

This post will grow and I will try to provide as many details to the trip as I can. Feel free to ask questions or comment as this grows.

I know a Y trip is not as luxurious as others, but I hope to give others feedback for their future trips through Asia with *A "The Way Earth Connects".

And now to the details:

United Award *Alliance Partner Travel (2 Passengers)

Trip: 17,630 m / 28,373km
SQ11 LAX-NRT Jan 10 - Jan 20
NH931 NRT-SGN Jan 21 - Jan 31
SQ171 SGN-SIN Jan 31 - Feb 4**
SQ12 SIN-NRT-LAX Arrive same day.
Summary
Lounge Experience

Cost:

60,000miles Per Passenger + $52.54 Taxes + $25 Booking Fee
At the time of the flight I held *A Gold (UA M+ 1P)

Having flown longhaul in Y on, UA, NZ, TG, (NH C), I felt SQ would give me the best experience with FAs, IFE, and scheduling / network support. I will summarize the ramifications of SQ over another carrier in the summary.

Some information I learned in this process:

The ANA Booking tool was a key component to making this work.

UA's Hawaii and Chicago representatives were instrumental in assisting make the booking as well as changes.

*A Award Travel (W/ UA) dates can be changed at any time before travel commences. Routing and close in date changes will incur fees up to $150 per passenger.

*A Award Travel (W/ UA) after travel commences will incur the $150 fee per passenger and may only change to UA metal.

I booked the trip in August 2008, after researching dates, schedules, connections here.

It should be mentioned, I wanted to take advantage of this ticket to maximize the journey. At one point the trip was much more ambitious, and was scaled back to keep my sanity. At one point after leaving SIN, an additional Stopover was planned in ICN or HKG, this as I mentioned was scrapped.

**After the ticket was booked properly, this "2nd stopover" was added with a simple request on the UA 1P line.

Last edited by AMRivlin; Feb 17, 2009 at 2:44 am
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Sq11 lax-nrt

Using SQ's 48hour web-check-in with my SQ given Record Locator (NOT UA's) and my firstname middle initial Andrewm, I was able to see the middle of the plane was full and my seat preference had been given, Window and adjoining. Had I been smart I would have moved us to mid 50s where there were open rows or at least open middle seats.

The flight was scheduled for 1:10pm, giving me ample time to rise late on the day of departure and make my way to LAX from Irvine (About 1 hour without traffic)

Generally I take Metrolink / Flyaway to LAX from OC. This time I rented an Enterprise truck to move the absurd amounts of luggage I had to carry. The thought of moving all this luggage onto the train is humorous.
5 Checked bags @ 23kg each + 4 carry-ons.

We left around 9am, and approached the Kris Flyer (*Gold desk) at 10:30. After one business customer we were quickly taken care of and offered passes to the *A Lounge.

The Singapore ladies were cordial, although not as pretty as the commercials suggest. All the bags that had been expertly packed at 23.03kgs and were ready to go to security. For those of you who are familiar with the Tom Bradley International Terminal, security has improved with their scanning process much improved.

We jumped in the priority screening line and made our way (15 min for screening) to the *A Lounge. We had about 1 hour in the lounge 11:30-12:30. The Lounge Reviews have been separated for ease of reading, see here.

SQ announces the boarding of SQ11 individually to lounge guests, so at 12:30 we made our way to the furthest gate at TBIT. I liked that touch.

An unorganized overcrowded hall was waiting, and there was no distinction for *Gold to check in separately. The plane was barely visible behind the security glass.

SQ 747-400

We were fairly late to board as our row 42 was not called for sometime. (We selected 42A and B.)
This was a mistake for 4 reasons: (The seats themselves were fine)
1. Last to board (No *G boarding, strange SQ strange.)
2. Once at seat, immediatley snapped at to take my seat, like I had planned on standing in the aisle for 40 minutes.
3. Middle section was full
4. Sitting on the port (LEFT) side heading west. There are no airvents and the sun baked me in the window seat for the entire trip. I assumed the same applied for the return journey for the starboard (RIGHT) side as it will face the sun.

View from window

The plane pushed back a few minutes late, but we were on our way.

Headphones and menus came around right away, first drinks came around 1 hour. I requested Gin and Tonic and was handed a Tiger beer. Maybe she didn't hear me properly.

I will scan the menu and put the options here (International or Japanese)

I selected Japanese
Beef
Soba and Tuna

Second Meal:
To be Continued

Flight Map

Fujisan 20 min to landing

Last edited by AMRivlin; Feb 17, 2009 at 2:40 am
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Nh931 nrt-sgn

Space Holder - Coming Soon

Last edited by AMRivlin; Feb 17, 2009 at 1:40 am
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Sq171 sgn-sin

Space Holder - Coming Soon

Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Sq12 sin-nrt-lax

Space Holder - Coming soon

Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Summary

As many will no doubt debate; UA, NH, OZ, AC, CA, TG, and SQ all offer TransPacs.

I wanted to spend some time in Japan as I have been to China and Thailand, this pushed me towards NH, UA, and SQ.

I have taken UA LAX-HKG and was not impressed with the lack of IFE, food selection, or FA's attitudes in Y. Seeing as I am 5'8" and my passenger is 5'1" my E+ access was not as important.

I attempted to take NH, however it was starblocked.

I was unaware of SQ's draconian luggage enforcement at the time of booking (*G 3@23kg, others 2@23kg ex USA) Even though at the time the *A rules specified otherwise. In hindsight, if I were to take this trip again I would take TG, UA, or NH (if possible) to eliminate this luggage lapse. (A difference in 45kg)

On a flight in 2007 (TG 794/795) LAX-BKK-LAX, I was extremely impressed with the A340-500, IFE, and FA's treatment, the seat config 2-4-2 was acceptable and was much more comfortable all around over SQ11/12.

In conclusion based on this trip report and past journeys: (Excluding Price or Mileage Earning)
If I had to recommend a Transpac in Y to SE Asia, I would suggest TG.
If I had to recommend a Transpac in C to SE Asia, I would suggest SQ or TG.
If I had to recommend a Transpac in Y/C to Japan/China, I would suggest NH.

While SQ's flight was nice and I was taken care of, i believe there are superior products available in Y.

I have not experienced the new UA C or F product, perhaps UA now has good alternatives for Business and Wealthy travelers. As many are aware UA's long haul product is completely lacking in comparison to many *A carriers. That being said, the DEQM Bonus, and E+ would encourage me to use them for "Paid Tickets".

Last edited by AMRivlin; Feb 17, 2009 at 1:50 am
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Lounges

Coming soon
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:08 am

Great report so far. I'm looking forward for the rest of it.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Please follow this excellent thread in Trip Reports.

Markie - Co-Mod *A
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Thank you for this fine report.

However, I believe that SQ has been generous with regard to luggage.

On NH (and they will stick to the rules), you will only be allowed 2*20 kg (your partner only 20kg), which is in accordance with the A* gold rules (piece concept does not apply to Asia).
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Van_Looy
Thank you for this fine report.

However, I believe that SQ has been generous with regard to luggage.

On NH (and they will stick to the rules), you will only be allowed 2*20 kg (your partner only 20kg), which is in accordance with the A* gold rules (piece concept does not apply to Asia).
Not if the OP's entire itinerary was issued under one ticket. Then the piece system would apply to the entire ticket and would therefore cover all the segments, even the non-USA flights.

Same logic as why RTW tickets all allow piece concepts - otherwise you'll end up with the bizzarre situation of hugely differing luggage allowances within the same trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.