Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Boring question about BKK lounge access

Old Jul 15, 08, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK

The scene:
*Gold LH-Sen arriving on Swiss - then a long wait for an Air Asia connection at BKK. I am a total Suvarnabhumi virgin.

The question(s):
(1) Is there an arrival lounge I can use at BKK?
(2) After trudging landside to check-in can I wave my card to get access to any airside lounge?
(3) If the answer to the questions above are NO - what is the expert view on the least uncomfortable way to spend 5 hours reflecting on the stupidity of not taking an "online" connection?

Cheers, and thanks

IAN
Old Jul 15, 08, 2:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
1) No.
2) No.
3) I like to wander around looking at the artwork (airside) and the hubbub of a major transit airport. As the terminal is so large this can usefully fill in a lot of time.
Old Jul 15, 08, 3:08 am

Programs: BA, UA, SPG/Marriot
Depending on the time of arrival, you can easily spend a good 45 minutes getting through immigration. BKK immigration is spectacularly inefficient. Is your Air Asia connection domestic or international? If the latter then you'll find that the terminal is one vast shopping mall if that floats your boat. There are also various massage/reflexology options which are pretty decently priced (at least by British standards) and are a good way to kill time and to sort the body out after a long flight. If you are going domestic, the options are fewer.
One other thing - bear in mind that Air Asia check-in counters only open 2 hours before the flight so you'll have time to kill landside first......
Old Jul 15, 08, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the speedy replies - although I love airports and people-watching, any pleasure will surely pall as I drag my baggage around with me. So the idea of relaxing under a safe pair of hands sounds attractive....
Old Jul 15, 08, 3:48 am

Programs: A3 Gold, KF Classic, Accor Plus Platinum, HHonors Diamond, M&C Loyalty Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
The scene:
*Gold LH-Sen arriving on Swiss - then a long wait for an Air Asia connection at BKK. I am a total Suvarnabhumi virgin.

The question(s):
(1) Is there an arrival lounge I can use at BKK?
(2) After trudging landside to check-in can I wave my card to get access to any airside lounge?
(3) If the answer to the questions above are NO - what is the expert view on the least uncomfortable way to spend 5 hours reflecting on the stupidity of not taking an "online" connection?

Cheers, and thanks

IAN
My suggestion for you maybe apply priority pass

Priority Pass Bangkok Airport Lounges:

Concourse A
Airside - Block 2, Level 3 (East Side). - LOUIS` TAVERN CIP FIRST CLASS LOUNGE

Concourse C
Airside - Level 3 (East Side). - LOUIS` TAVERN CIP FIRST CLASS LOUNGE

Concourse F
Airside - Level 3 (West Side). - LOUIS` TAVERN CIP FIRST CLASS LOUNGE

so you can spend a couple of hours there.
Old Jul 15, 08, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yauee View Post
My suggestion for you maybe apply priority pass

Priority Pass Bangkok Airport Lounges:

LOUIS` TAVERN CIP FIRST CLASS LOUNGE
I seem to remember from the old airport that Louis' Tavern operated a pay-for-entry system: so this could be a good solution ...
Old Jul 15, 08, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I seem to remember from the old airport that Louis' Tavern operated a pay-for-entry system: so this could be a good solution ...
I believe it's 1000 baht for entry. You could try for entry airside before going through immigration for the Air Asia flight (not sure if they'll want a boarding card).

I find landside in BKK to be reasonably good - plenty eating options and massage also available last time I looked.

There is also left luggage landside but you probably don't have time to head into town - an hour at Chata.... market might be an option if you're there at the weekend.
Old Jul 15, 08, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Or spend less than B1000 for a Thai foot massage at one of the many airside services that offer this. What a blissful way to spend an hour!
Old Jul 16, 08, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
Thanks for the speedy replies - although I love airports and people-watching, any pleasure will surely pall as I drag my baggage around with me. So the idea of relaxing under a safe pair of hands sounds attractive....
We did this twice... The massage joint near and above the Bangkok Airways lounge was excellent. The one in the center of the terminal (I forget the location exactly) we thought was a ripoff. YMMV.
Old Jul 18, 08, 7:26 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Unfortunately LH doesn't have a lounge in BKK otherwise you could use your SEN anytime access. If you happen to have QF Platinum status this could get you access as well.
Otherwise there is plenty of things to do and see at the airport. You won't get bored.
Old Jul 21, 08, 10:12 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
There is plenty of info on these topics in the TG forum. Here is a link to my recent expirience in a very similar situation:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841080

Hand over your LX BP and give it a try.
Old Jul 21, 08, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
There is plenty of info on these topics in the TG forum. Here is a link to my recent expirience in a very similar situation:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841080

Hand over your LX BP and give it a try.
You were very lucky. I have found the lounge agents to be very strict in BKK, and unlikely to bend the rules. e.g. I arrived last month on OS in C class with a *G card, and an onward boarding pass on an MH flight (with a TG codeshare), and was refused (politely, and correctly, according to *A rules) access to 3 different TG lounges (well, you may as well try )

In fact, one agent went so far as to check what the ticket number was, to ensure that I hadn't booked on a TG codeshare, but was in fact on an MH ticket - i.e. they would have let me if I had booked on TG paper

Back to the OP, if you don't want to a massage, but do want somewhere peaceful to hang out, my two suggestions are (a) landside, where there are a number of cheap eateries and sitting areas on the mezzanine (between arrivals and departure levels) and top floors of the main terminal, or (b) there are some quiet airside sitting areas on the same level as the lounges (much less frenetic than the main shopping mall/departures level - I happily curled up there for 2 hours with a good book)

Search this Thread