FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   EgyptAir and Star Alliance [MERGED] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/843276-egyptair-star-alliance-merged.html)

flytofly Jan 12, 2008 8:42 am

Egypt air to join *A.

Egypt Air is to join the Star Alliance in 2009.
I wonder who is next. Tarom? Air Namibia?

DownUnderFlyer Jan 15, 2008 4:26 am

If you want to read a bit more about this, have a look at this thread from last October:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746793

Can be found by searching for the keyword "Egypt". ;)

UA Fan Jan 15, 2008 2:47 pm

timbuktoo airlines

flyin´ruddl Jan 15, 2008 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by flytofly (Post 9054851)
Air Namibia?

Does anyone doubt that they beat Egypt air all hands down?

F.R.

Dan72 Jan 17, 2008 7:42 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 9074752)
timbuktoo airlines

Why not - they allow UA membership of the alliance ;)

Sphinx Jan 18, 2008 1:00 pm

Egyptair has actually improved in reecent months. Reviews of Egyptair on Skytrax have become quite positive. Still a long way to go, though they fit in well with other recent equally-mediocre *A inductees.

directorguy_ Jan 21, 2008 12:18 pm

Everytime the subject of Egypt Air joining A* comes up, people start whinning and wondering when AIr Namibia or Iraqi Airways will join. I then do my best to try and advocate MS's case. Well, here I go again:
The airline isn't that bad. Sure, they went through this stagnation in the 1990s but in recent years they're restructured after the old management left. Before, MS was disorganized, late and everybody complained. It seems that the government realized that actually improving the airline would one day allow them to make some money of it. So newer aircraft and a restructured organization was formed. Although its not Singapore Airlines First Class, they take safety to heart these days, and operate modern aircraft. Services are easier and its no longer a hassle. The airline's come a long way, and yes it has a long way to go. But you can't compare the largest airline in Africa (it currently ties with South African Airways) to Air Timbuktoo. Egypt Air isn't 2 B707s and a handful of Fokkers flying half empty on low frequencies. Its strategic to the Europe-Asian route plan, and will make a good addition to the A*. While Turkish Airlines and Air India aren't exactly the most prestigious airlines in the world and happened to join, leading people to think that A* was dipping in standards and allowing Third World carriers to join, MS is just as good as any other airline.

GK Jan 22, 2008 10:25 am

well said, i am tired of peoples' prejudices on this subject

LH-STR May 25, 2008 6:10 am

Has anybody an idea when they will be a full *A member?

Yesterday in CAI I saw on some aircraft already the *A Logo.

directorguy_ May 28, 2008 11:26 am

Really? Joining *A is supposed to be at around October, but I suppose they want it to concide with the new T3 at CAI
Tell me LH-STR, where the aircraft with the *A logo in the new MS livery?

grenouille Jun 2, 2008 5:13 am

The official date is July, 11th 2008

sultanbinaber Jun 2, 2008 5:16 am

wow, that's quite soon. I think Egypt Air is not that bad (any more). Moreover, the more Airlines join *A, the more opportunities to earn miles ;)

aceman Jun 2, 2008 7:12 am

yeah, im pretty happy, since a red sea trip beckons and the extra luggage allowance will be very handy for the scuba gear!

kempis Jun 2, 2008 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by grenouille (Post 9811751)

Where did you find this information? I will most likely have a MS flight on the 12th of July so this is almost to good to be true.

Kiwi Flyer Jun 2, 2008 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by grenouille (Post 9811751)

That is unbelieveably quick. Are you sure it is *A membership from that date rather than partnerships with one or more individual *A FFPs?