FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   using one airline ticket for 2 frequent flyer program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/827032-using-one-airline-ticket-2-frequent-flyer-program.html)

sweetpea567 May 24, 2008 8:38 am

using one airline ticket for 2 frequent flyer program

hi everyone! i know this may be a silly question, but you guys are the experts. so i thought i would ask anyway... can i use the same airline ticket to gain points on 2 frequent flyer programs? i want to book a ticket on THAI airlines, and i wanted to know if it is possible to gain miles on both the ROP and MP flyer programs.

thanks in advance!

7free May 24, 2008 8:43 am

nope, you can't

sultanbinaber May 24, 2008 8:47 am

This would be really gorgeous, but unfortunately it is not possible...

sweetpea567 May 24, 2008 8:52 am

awww... boo. but thank you!

soitgoes May 24, 2008 8:58 am

Not for the same segments, but you can theoretically receive credit in different programs for different segments.

emcampbe May 24, 2008 8:59 am

Originally Posted by sweetpea567 (Post 9772736)
hi everyone! i know this may be a silly question, but you guys are the experts. so i thought i would ask anyway... can i use the same airline ticket to gain points on 2 frequent flyer programs? i want to book a ticket on THAI airlines, and i wanted to know if it is possible to gain miles on both the ROP and MP flyer programs.

thanks in advance!

Definitely against the rules of every frequent flyer program that exists, and for good reason. Otherwise, what's to stop me or anyone else from signing up for memberships on all *A carriers, and earning points for 16, or however many it is now, FF programs.

However, some airlines, UA at least I know for sure, allows you to list two numbers on a reservation, with one as the "earning" ff #, and the other as a reference. This would be beneficial in cases, where, for example, you want to be able to use the status benefits you have earned in one program (the reference) while earning with the other.

Guy Betsy May 29, 2008 6:34 am

The only one you may do is that with SQ flights.. but thy work on revenue towards their PPS programme anyway.

scunnered May 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes (Post 9772796)
Not for the same segments, but you can theoretically receive credit in different programs for different segments.

I recently tried this with an SK itinerary, SK TATL and UA in the states. I asked at ORD if they could change the UA flight to my MP number, since the SK flight had put me over my qualification level for EBG. After much keyboard bashing, I was told that it appeared SK was not prepared to share me and she could not manage to split the itinerary. This was at the 1K check in desk at ORD, so presumably one of the more competent UA staff.