Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Switching from UA to NH at NRT mid-trip

Old Apr 24, 08, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond

I just flew into NRT from GUM on CO. I have a connecting flight on UA five hours later going to IAD. I just noticed NH has a flight going to IAD leaving in several minutes – too close now to catch. But, that made me think – could I have got onto the NH flight to IAD?? I am a IK on UA flying on a Y fare currently waitlisted for C using a SWU. (The upgrade does not look good.)
My question is: Could I have walked up to the NH gate and gotten onto their flight to IAD if they had room (which I think they did) since they are part of the *A? If they had room in C, could I have been upgraded using my SWU from UA? I know it is too late now but I want to know this for future reference. Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 08, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rperry3146 View Post
Could I have walked up to the NH gate and gotten onto their flight to IAD if they had room (which I think they did) since they are part of the *A?
Possibly, but it would have been because of your fully refundable Y fare, not because of any *A affiliation.

If they had room in C, could I have been upgraded using my SWU from UA?
I would say no chance at all of that.
Old Apr 25, 08, 12:21 am

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
On a fully refundable Y fare, you probably could have gotten into their premium Y cabin - if it wasn't full. NH premium Y cabin is much more than UA's E+ - more leg room, wider seats, some sort of leg rest and nicer amenities, but with Y food and service.
Old Apr 25, 08, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being in *A has nothing to do w/ the possibility of NH accepting your request.

UA has your money in the bank, not NH. Since NH is taking you, they want your kizzash, so they could have refunded your Y fare on UA and then booked you on their flight (I think there's a "behind the scenes" way that airlines can do this without you seeing a refund on your CC, then a charge from NH).

If you were on a W, T, or S fare, you can rest assured NH would eschew you away like the pond scum you are.
Old Apr 25, 08, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
Airlines (with exception to SQ) belonging to Star have an endorsement waiver agreement for full-fare coach, biz, and first class tix. Essentially, it says that these airlines are willing/able to accept another Star member airline's coupon without the need to have the original airline "endorse" the ticket to the new carrier. This can be quite a time saver.
Old Apr 26, 08, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
Airlines (with exception to SQ) belonging to Star have an endorsement waiver agreement for full-fare coach, biz, and first class tix. Essentially, it says that these airlines are willing/able to accept another Star member airline's coupon without the need to have the original airline "endorse" the ticket to the new carrier. This can be quite a time saver.
I just failed to get my paper ticket in CRWSTAR2 for PEK - NRT on NH906 accepted by CA for CA421, despite a valid confirmed reservation for CA421.

CA requested an endorsement stamp by NH which was impossible to be provided on time since the NH ticket counter was closed for almost one hour after handling their latest flight on that day.

A 30 minutes mobile phone call with LH (ticket issuer) in Germany, even providing a chinese language capable staff talking to the CA staff in PEK didn´t bring any positive result.

CA requested me to purchase a single way C-class ticket and to hope for a refund.

I denied due to a minimum chance of a full refunding and therefore finally had to take the next morning´s NH902. NH ticket staff then was very surprised to hear the story and couldn´t understand the problem. They suggested to file a complaint with the ticket issuer = LH.

Now I have filed a complaint with LH.

Let´s see what comes out!
Old Apr 27, 08, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
I am a IK on UA flying on a Y fare
Are you even sure it´s a Y-fare or do you mean Y in the sense of eco, say W or Q or V? Just a thought...

F.R.
Old Apr 28, 08, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
It was a full Y fare - not a discounted Y fare.

Search this Thread