Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Major Star 1/2/3/Special RTW Rule changes - eff 01MAY08

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:41 am
Original Poster

UPDATED WITH MORE CHANGES - updates in blue and italics

Released late last week to the industry down here, and have found a copy.

There are quite a lot of changes - you win some, you lose some is the theme of the day I think. On balance, I think the positives outweigh the negatives in this release.
Big changes to the Circle Pac fare (seperate thread) as well. (Including lower Business booking classes on some carriers ).
Huge price rise on Circle Pacs ex Australia - but no change in fares on the RTW's ex-Australia. Will add the relevant details into the "fare watch" thread.

EFFECTIVE 01MAY08 - STAR 1/2/3/Special.
These are the changes I can find comparing new rules against the current rules which were effective back on 01APR.

APPLICATION -
No more than 16 coupons permitted in an entire journey. (Was 24 coupons).

ADVANCE RESERVATIONS/TICKETING -
Change in wording to the ticketing made by rule. New wording reads as :
"Reservations and ticket issuance must be made at least 24 Hours prior to departure" (Current wording reads as 1 day prior to departure).

The exception on advance purchase limits for tickets on Economy class purchased in South West Pacific (AU/NZ etc) has been abolished. No more exception.
SWP origin advance purchase now follows the worldwide standard. IE -
Reservations made 30 days or more prior to departure require ticketing to be completed 21 days prior to original departure date.
Reservations made 29-8 days prior to departure require ticketing to be completed 7 days before original departure date.
Reservations made within 7 days of departure date require ticketing more than 24 hours prior to departure.

*****Ticket deadline is based on original departure date at PNR creation. (New wording/clarification).

BOOKING CLASSES -
Change to the TG rulings on Business Class on A345 nonstop U.S.A. services to/from BKK.
New wording reads - "If D not available book Y except on direct services to/from USA book U". (Was book C).
Update - New CA Booking Classes -
First Class - Book A International, Book F within China
Business Class - Book D International, Book C within China.
*NOTE - For flights within China, if F not offered book C. If C is not offered, book F provided that only First and Economy cabin offered on the flight. If F/C not offered, book Y.

MINIMUM STAY -
The exception for minimum stay on Sth West Pacific origin has been abolished. 10 day minimum stay now required for SWP origin.
Exception - Origin Australia, minimum stay is 7 days.

STOPOVERS -
Abolished - the restriction for journeys commencing in N.Z. for stopovers to be at AKL CHC or WLG only.
Abolished - the restriction for journeys commencing in Sth Africa to be at JNB CPT only.

TRANSFERS -
Big changes here. Used to be able to do x amount of transfers per direction. New wording as follows -
"In the country of origin no more than two domestic transfers permitted and no more than two international transfers permitted.
Exception - When travel originates in Canada/USA/Thailand/Norway not more than four domestic transfers permitted in country of origin and not more than four international transfers permitted in country of origin".

Abolished - when journey commences in Japan/New Zealand not more than one domestic transfer per direction permitted.
Abolished - when journey commences in Southern Africa not more than one transfer permitted per direction at CPT/JNB.

MULTIPLE AIRPORT CITIES -
BNE and OOL are now considered as one city.

SURCHARGES -
NZ have removed the Child/Infant discounts on their Premium Economy surcharge. Adult rates apply apparently.

Update - SQ SURCHARGES -
SQ A345 nonstop services between SIN and U.S.A.
SQ A345 services will be converted gradually to full Business Class service between May 2008 & September 2008.
The A345 Economy Plus surcharge will thus be offered only on flights where Economy Class is still available.
The surcharge will not apply to First Class RTW passengers.

New SQ A380/773ER surcharge grid -The old Flight number and city pair list has gone, replaced by the following matrix.
*NOTE - all surcharges are per sector.
SIN - AMERICAS (Via PA or AT) : USD600.00.
KOREA - AMERICAS (Via PA) : USD500.00.
EUROPE - AMERICAS (Via AT) : USD500.00.
SIN - EUROPE : USD500.00.
SIN - STH WEST PACIFIC : USD400.00.
SIN - S.E. ASIAN SUBCONTINENT : USD300.00
SIN - KOREA/JAPAN/S.E. ASIA : USD300.00

** - NOTE - **These surcharges include the SQ operating B773ER/A380 services marketed under the flight numbers of the Star Alliance Members where applicable.

SALES RESTRICTIONS -
Abolished - Journeys commencing in New Zealand are applicable to start points of AKL CHC WLG only.

PENALTIES/CHANGES -
Major change and far easier wording to understand leaving no room for confusion that I can see. ^
The restriction on changing all segments up to and including the first International/Intercontinental sector has been abolished.
From memory, this rule has been in since day 1, so it's a major change.

New Wording for CHANGES reads as -
"CHANGES -
Before Departure
Rebooking/Revalidation of all sectors permitted at no charge.
Rerouting/Reissue charge of USD125.00 applies per reissue in case ticket has been issued.

After Departure
For all remaining sectors changes to carrier/flights/dates leading to rebooking/revalidation permitted at no charge.
Changes in ticketed point/fare basis/fare amount leading to rerouting/reissue permitted at a charge of USD125.00 per reissue.

Cancellation/change fee waiver for death of family member/accompanying passengers now requires certificate of proof.

Last edited by Al B; Apr 26, 2008 at 8:31 pm
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:54 am

Thanks for the updates, Al B!

Just so I am clear: do the STAR RTW rules now state that the ticket price is determined by the rates in the country of origin, regardless where the ticket is purchased?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wideman
Thanks for the updates, Al B!

Just so I am clear: do the STAR RTW rules now state that the ticket price is determined by the rates in the country of origin, regardless where the ticket is purchased?
Correct. Or rather they don't state it per-se in the fare rules, it just vanished with the last rules release on 01APR. It hasn't returned in this new release either.
No longer any need to compare fare from journey commencement with the same fare from country of payment and charge the higher of the two.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:40 am

Location: hopefully somewhere interesting, just moved from CMB to CAI
Programs: AAdvantage, Etihad Guest, Qatar Privilege Club
Surface sector = one coupon?

Cutting the number of coupons from 24 to 16 seems rather harsh. So if I have 15 stopovers on my RTW then I can only have one flight that isn't direct? That limits things somewhat.

Also, can you just confirm whether the following note is still in the new rules? (it used to be in section 9, transfers / routing)

"Surface sectors and multiple airport cities require a separate coupon."

If they've cut the number of coupons by a third and they still count a surface sector as one coupon that doesn't strike me as too friendly.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
Originally Posted by Al B
On balance, I think the positives outweigh the negatives in this release.
Really?

A 33% devaluation of this product. Big negative. I'm still waiting to see any positives that outweigh a 33% devaluation.

EDIT: another question. You used the phrase "coupons." Were you being specific in your usage or casual... as in, can you have more than 16 "sectors" as long as you only have 16 "coupons"?

For example. If you plug UA870 SYD-SFO into the calculator, and continue on with UA870 SFO-ORD... it will count this as 2 "sectors" but 1 coupon. I'm able to put together an itinerary that has 16 "coupons" but actually 17 "sectors" if I go SYD-SFO-ORD on UA870.

Is that allowed?

Last edited by cs19; Apr 21, 2008 at 11:15 am
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cs19
You used the phrase "coupons." Were you being specific in your usage or casual... as in, can you have more than 16 "sectors" as long as you only have 16 "coupons"?

For example. If you plug UA870 SYD-SFO into the calculator, and continue on with UA870 SFO-ORD... it will count this as 2 "sectors" but 1 coupon. I'm able to put together an itinerary that has 16 "coupons" but actually 17 "sectors" if I go SYD-SFO-ORD on UA870.

Is that allowed?
It's always been allowed.
You must however book SYD-ORD UA870 as the segment. If you book SYD-SFO-ORD UA870 that's 2 coupons as it's two seperate segments booked.
The wording is specific - 16 coupons per itinerary. As clarified in a rules release last year this also includes any surface segments.

The wording also clearly states that the 16 coupon limit includes any subsequent reissue during journey, so unless you get a dolt for a ticketing agent, you won't be able to complete 8 coupons of your jounrey, then reroute and add another 10.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cloudlake
Also, can you just confirm whether the following note is still in the new rules? (it used to be in section 9, transfers / routing)

"Surface sectors and multiple airport cities require a separate coupon."

If they've cut the number of coupons by a third and they still count a surface sector as one coupon that doesn't strike me as too friendly.
Welcome to FT !
It's still there, yes.
As per other recent threads in the forum, it's an IATA E-Ticketing issue that's causing the 16 coupon maximum.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:09 pm

Welcome to FT !
It's still there, yes.
As per other recent threads in the forum, it's an IATA E-Ticketing issue that's causing the 16 coupon maximum.
that is just rediculous, cutting down to 16 coupons and still counting surface sectors as a coupon is a big

i do know about the e ticket limit, but i'm sure they could solve that problem somehow, after all its "just" software...
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
After Departure
For all remaining sectors changes to carrier/flights/dates leading to rebooking/revalidation permitted at no charge.
Changes in ticketed point/fare basis/fare amount leading to rerouting/reissue permitted at a charge of USD125.00 per reissue.

Cancellation/change fee waiver for death of family member/accompanying passengers now requires certificate of proof.
I thought change of carrier even when keeping the routing the same requires a USD125 reissue fee. So is that a change?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nicholas
I thought change of carrier even when keeping the routing the same requires a USD125 reissue fee. So is that a change?
It's always meant to be just a revalidation, but over zealous interpretations and reissues with fees did occur.
Star clarified the rule earlier this year with similar wording.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
So is everybody rushing out to buy 24-coupon (or at least 16+ coupon) RTWs this week? A trip I was planning for the end of the year will require roughly 20 coupons, depending on how I structure it-- but it will definitely need more than 16.

I agree that this is a huge devaluation, and I don't see what the good news is.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by deepbluesky
So is everybody rushing out to buy 24-coupon (or at least 16+ coupon) RTWs this week?
Nope. I got mine locked in a few weeks ago (except I need to do likewise on some OW RTWs I'm working on).
Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Nope. I got mine locked in a few weeks ago (except I need to do likewise on some OW RTWs I'm working on).
That's good. As for me, though, I wasn't prepared for this change and have been working on the OW side. Now I'm rushing to get a *A RTW set up today while I'm in transit in Chicago. For the rest of the week I'll be in the mid-east with no expected phone access.

The trip will begin in JNB, I think. If anyone has a good booking agent there (or in Canada, or anywhere else that I can get South African pricing from), please let me know ASAP.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:23 am

NRT, not JNB

Originally Posted by deepbluesky
The trip will begin in JNB, I think. If anyone has a good booking agent there (or in Canada, or anywhere else that I can get South African pricing from), please let me know ASAP.
UPDATE: I'll now begin and end the trip from Japan (NRT). I still need a good referral if anyone has an idea.
Old May 1, 2008, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I don't see any changes that affect me except perhaps this issue of buying the ticket anywhere I want.

So if I start my RTW ex-DXB, I can purchase it over the phone from United in the US using the UAE rates? That would be a big help to me if it is true and the UA agents understand this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.