BRS-FRA-BKK (LH) or LHR-BKK (TG)?

Old Apr 14, 08, 6:04 am
Original Poster

BRS-FRA-BKK (LH) or LHR-BKK (TG)?

Usually I fly either KWI-FRA-BRS or KWI-BKK.

I very very rarely fly UK -> BKK, but it just so happens I have to in a month or so. First Class.

I live 1 hour from Bristol, and like the close proximity of the airport and the ease with which you pass through check-in, immigration etc. However, if I fly via FRA risks are: flight cancelled... 3 hour wait in FRA.

Meanwhile, if I fly TG, I have to drive 2 hours to Heathrow, and I've seen TG FC cabin (from my lowly C seat) and it doesn't look like such a hot product.

So which would you do? Regional airport, to Franfurt, then on to BKK in LH FC? or head up to the Big Smoke, and do LHR-BKK on TG's First, and direct, product?
Old Apr 15, 08, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

man... no replies, so I've gone ahead today and booked TG F.

If it doesn't match up to LH standard, you guys are gonna get it in the neck ;-)
Old Apr 17, 08, 10:28 am

Programs: LH SEN, BD Gold
D'oh. Missed it!

I've never done TG F myself, but a colleague has, and described it as "tired". Mind you, he described LH F as "spartan", and he's an awkward b****r anyway.

I'd take BRS-FRA over driving down the M4 any day. (Indeed, now I do, thankfully). It would appear that if you are *G or flying C/F from BRS, you get a pass for the FastTrack at security, which has its value.

(On the KWI fares thing - be interested to know if the fares ex-KWI to BRS are now looking more realistic).
Old Apr 17, 08, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

To be honest the reason I plumped for LHR-BKK instead of BRS-BKK in the end, is due to the fact this particular ticket will return Dec 24 (BKK-UK). Given that it's winter, I felt both BRS and FRA were risks for missing connections wheras at Heathrow I've only got TG's slot to worry about.

On airlinenetwork the price ex-BRS (LH) and ex-LHR (TG) were more or less the same. I think I paid GBP 1,800 roughly (will upgrade to F with points).

BRS-KWI-BRS return C class on LH is now coming in at KWD 857.35 (GBP 1,622) for the same dates I've used on my LHR-BKK ticket. Meanwhile - same dates - LHR-KWI-LHR is KWD 859.45. So, the same.

KLM Business Class comes in at GBP 1,527 so again, there's not much in it now. I suspect the economy price difference is still huge though - it normally works out about GBP 700 for an economy LH return KWI-Europe, and upgrading is always, without exception, impossible ex-Kuwait with Lufthansa.
Old Apr 17, 08, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TG F seat is pretty nice. A touch better than LH, but both are lie-flat and that's what counts.

I probably would have done BRS-FRA-BKK; BRS is much easier to deal with than LHR, and your time at FRA would be spent in the FCT which is always a treat.
Old Apr 17, 08, 7:04 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Well you did it on your own, so don't blame us
You are just too impatient!!!

BristolTraveller tells it how it is, although I would repharse tired, to read softly worn and comfortable. Strangely I prefer the old seats with a better padding to those new fangled hard as rock things they now want us to sleep on, but with the hard ones comes a lot of new electronic wizardary which I can't work also and I get annoyed because everyone else tells me how good it all is. I too would have gone for the BRS exit, but I understand your problems coming home in winter. I go for the least trouble and most direct, tend to check evrybody, but ultimately stay with TG, because of price, and if something goes wrong, I know which buttons to push. Good prices, have you looked at the new *A Turkish Airline prices, they seem to be keen. BKK is hot this year, I should be used to it, but it's slowed me down, regards bkkrop
Old Apr 18, 08, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKROP View Post
BKK is hot this year, I should be used to it, but it's slowed me down
LOL - I know what you mean. I've been waving the dogs' leads at them during the day for the past week or two, but they just lie there spreadeagled on the marble, raising their eyes at me!

Plus two air-conditioners packed up last week - been on overdrive. Thank goodness for Foodbyphone
Old Apr 19, 08, 5:46 pm

Given that it's winter, I felt both BRS and FRA were risks for missing connections whereas at Heathrow I've only got TG's slot to worry about.
Sadly, it's fog which usually causes problems at BRS, and then happens at the most unexpected of times. Plan B for most airlines on those occasions is to divert to CWL, EXT or BHX (in that order). Not nice, but not a tragedy.

I'm hoping you're seeing KWI-BRS Y fares in the order of 570 now. Apparently the regional office "forgot" to load BRS fares when the route went live. Probably in the same way that the M&M website "forgets" that Bristol is now an LH destination, and the LH mobile website insisted that I was trying to fly to Brisbane.

LH clearly don't add new destinations very often. (It's not as if it wasn't already *A served, with SK flights from OSL and ARN).
Old Apr 20, 08, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller View Post

I'm hoping you're seeing KWI-BRS Y fares in the order of 570 now.
Man, I wish! I can't even get from KWI to FRA for less than 700!
Old Apr 20, 08, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by moocherx View Post
Man, I wish! I can't even get from KWI to FRA for less than 700!
Really? I bunged a few random dates at the end of May, beginning of June into Lufthansa.com and it duly showed me the V class fare (306 + 266 taxes). KL is coming up cheaper, but not by much.
Old Apr 20, 08, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller View Post
Really? I bunged a few random dates at the end of May, beginning of June into Lufthansa.com and it duly showed me the V class fare (306 + 266 taxes). KL is coming up cheaper, but not by much.
That's amazing. I should've taken a trip back in the next couple of months!

Search this Thread