Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

MS says ready for Star by July !

Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ , QF , MK

http://atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=12288

...EgyptAir Chairman Atef Abdel Hamid said the carrier's effort to meet the requirements for Star Alliance membership is nearing conclusion and it expects to be ready for a Cairo joining ceremony scheduled for July.....

I think that their acceptance as a candidate was only announced in December - it will be pretty impressive if they really are admitted as a member by July
Old Apr 4, 2008, 2:32 am

Programs: *A Gold, LH SEN, UA 2P, AC Prestige
I can not imagine that this will go ahead by July. MS has been codesharing closely with a number of *A airlines for quite a while and should be able to implement changes quite quickly, but this date is too optimistic imo.
Or maybe *A takes a more tolerant stance in order to tap the intra-arab market as quickly as possible.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Juts because MS thinks they're ready doesn't mean *A thinks they are.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:54 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
I'm also surprised by this. However, if it's not that certain then how can he be talking of "...a Cairo joining ceremony scheduled for July..." [my bold]?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by EgyptAir Chairman Atef Abdel Hamid
He said training of certain staff and some minor adaptations to its IT infrastructure are still on the docket but will be completed on schedule.
Sounds like the tasks that are left may be relatively minor. Of course, this could just be an optimistic view that's being presented for marketing purposes.

In any case, having another member of *A is good for all of us, so I certainly wish MS all the best with their efforts to join. I hope they will be ready soon.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
So what's MS like? Does it compare favorably with any of the carriers in the region? (I'm assuming it can't really e considered in the same class with EK and EY)
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:48 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium
They dont mention the year anywhere.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:56 am
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Originally Posted by Zorro
Aha! You figured it out!
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Zorro
LOL^
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by notsosmart
So what's MS like?
It´s crap, IMO. Same league than AI. Check out their fabolous website http://www.egyptair.com/English/Worldwide or take a lock at their C cabin http://www.vornesitzen.de/Home/Sofli...ex.php?aid=108 with a whooping pitch of up to 40´ (UA domestic 1st seat has 38´). For all of you who think a class of wine or champagne is a good thing: Not aboard MS, not available.

F.R.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.