Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A award ticket, UA miles, USA-EUR, itinerary ?'s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold

I'm trying to use my UA miles to book a *A C award ticket to europe for about 3 weeks in the late summer but I had a couple of questions.

First: Is it better to mix and match airlines or to try to stick with one carrier for the entire itinerary, in terms of available seats?

Second: Say I was ok with shorter segments being in Y versus C, does that affect the overall miles required (ex: SAN-SFO in Y, FRA-HEL in Y, but SFO-FRA in C)?

What I'm looking for is San Diego to Helsinki, but I could go either across the pacific or atlantic. I would actually enjoy going across the pacific and trying some Asian carriers, but since I've never done this before, I'm just trying to get a C class ticket.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't lower the price to mix and match cabins, you pay for the higher cabin the whole way. The best option for carriers is whatever gets you the best availability, which will most likely be a mix of airlines. You can't go via the pacific to Europe, just via the Atlantic, at least if you plan on doing just one award. Have fun!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

I had one other question, can you do different carries outbound and inbound?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UCBeau
I had one other question, can you do different carries outbound and inbound?
Yes, mix and match as many star alliance carriers as you'd like.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Good luck finding anything in C during the summer!! LH, UA, and SK all hardly seem to release any award inventory in C.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Well I found some C availability using the ANA tool, from DEN-HEL, on LH. only problem is, i can't find any return availability to any "big" city from HEL, be it SFO/LAX/ORD/JFK/IAD/SEA/DFW

is that how things sometimes work out? you can find a routing going there but not returning?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I found some C availability using the ANA tool, from DEN-HEL, on LH. only problem is, i can't find any return availability to any "big" city from HEL, be it SFO/LAX/ORD/JFK/IAD/SEA/DFW

is that how things sometimes work out? you can find a routing going there but not returning?
Oh yeah, all the time, especially during summer. If you're unlucky your outbound wont be available either due to starnet blocking.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Oh yeah, all the time, especially during summer. If you're unlucky your outbound wont be available either due to starnet blocking.
figures..just my luck. i didnt book the outbound and am still trying to find an inbound. what bugs is that i don't see that many routings back to the USA. i.e. why aren't there swiss routings showing, or more SAS routings? plenty of LH/UA routes that have no availability though.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
why aren't there swiss routings showing
ANA's tool has never shown LX availability.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
break the search up into smaller pieces - the ANA tool will only look for 2-sector routings when there are plenty of viable 3+ sector routings
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by glex50
Good luck finding anything in C during the summer!! LH, UA, and SK all hardly seem to release any award inventory in C.
I don't know if I were lucky, but a few months ago, I was looking for awards to a few destinations in Asia for this upcoming summer

All F and C were wide open.

And, I was just searching from LH FRA-LAX, again F and C wide open in the summer.

Keep checking and good luck!

p.s. don't rely solely on ANA. Call UA and pick out a range of dates, you never know!
Old Mar 13, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Keep checking and good luck!

p.s. don't rely solely on ANA. Call UA and pick out a range of dates, you never know!
Hear, hear! I was on 3 different *A airlines for a US dividend miles trip to Helsinki. It took forever (and explaining what Helsinki was to a few of the foreign call-center agents!) but they did eventually find a return flight.

Can't they save part of an itinerary for you, like an outbound leg? Call daily, if you have the stomach for it... you only need one seat to open up. Remember, if all else fails, you can go on a lower service level for one or two of the flights. You don't get reimbursed the miles, but at least you get to go. And if you're going to Finland, that's the time of year to go. Cheers!
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

i'm going to call UA tomorrow, thanks for the suggestions. i am completely ok with a short leg or two in Y, just want the transatlantic flights to be in C. UA has good availability to LHR right now, but i will need to find flights to HEL from there.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:42 pm

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
figures..just my luck. i didnt book the outbound and am still trying to find an inbound. what bugs is that i don't see that many routings back to the USA. i.e. why aren't there swiss routings showing, or more SAS routings? plenty of LH/UA routes that have no availability though.
I couldn't find ANY routings back to the USA for my C ticket this summer that would work with my schedule either. I called several times and the agents weren't able to come up with anything that would work after an hour or more on the phone. It was quite frustrating. After calling back a couple times they did offer me seats on Privatair ZRH-EWR and the new LH FRA-SEA flight so you might want to see if those are options as well. Just keep calling back until you get what you want. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.