Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

TG vs SQ - Help me with this choice

TG vs SQ - Help me with this choice

Old Jan 18, 08, 2:10 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,010
TG vs SQ - Help me with this choice

Ok, here's the deal, my significant other and I will be flying HKG-SIN in May. We don't often travel to Asia so flying on Asian carriers is something rare for us. My SO could care less which airline we fly, nonstop/making 1 stop, food, lounges, etc.. , but I on the other hand am a typical FT nerd and want to go all out on this one part of the trip. Money is not a problem for this part of the trip, so F class is definitely what I would like for us. Here is my dilemma:

A) We can fly on SQ nonstop, however of the 6 flights that day, only the 8am, 4pm, and 815pm flights have the SkySuite seats. Book The Cook would be great, but not for breakfast, so the 8am is definitely not a good one. The 815pm arrives so late into SIN and that is something I am not keen on. So, that leaves the 4pm flight. A bit early for dinner, I think. But, an option.

B) We can fly on TG from HKG to BKK at 1245pm arriving at 230pm with the new F class on a 744, then have a 5 hour layover in BKK before continuing to SIN in C class on A330. We could then take advantage of the Royal Spa in the F class lounge in BKK and perhaps some amazing Thai food (if it exists in the airport.. and it is my favourite food!!) The flight would arrive into SIN at 1050pm which is not ideal, but earlier than the 815pm SQ flight arriving at 1155pm.

Price is comparable. Not interested in flying CX. My miles will credit to BD Diamond Club. Suggestions? Ideas? Experiences? Give me your vote. I am eager to hear what all your expert Asia travellers have to say.
dg4255 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 08, 2:22 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 9,528
Originally Posted by dg4255 View Post
Ok, here's the deal, my significant other and I will be flying HKG-SIN in May. We don't often travel to Asia so flying on Asian carriers is something rare for us. My SO could care less which airline we fly, nonstop/making 1 stop, food, lounges, etc.. , but I on the other hand am a typical FT nerd and want to go all out on this one part of the trip. Money is not a problem for this part of the trip, so F class is definitely what I would like for us. Here is my dilemma:
Good choice, I think Asian carriers are a rare treat for people that usually fly around Europe / North America.

Originally Posted by dg4255 View Post

A) We can fly on SQ nonstop, however of the 6 flights that day, only the 8am, 4pm, and 815pm flights have the SkySuite seats. Book The Cook would be great, but not for breakfast, so the 8am is definitely not a good one. The 815pm arrives so late into SIN and that is something I am not keen on. So, that leaves the 4pm flight. A bit early for dinner, I think. But, an option.
If you're splurging here, I would recommend the 77W - that would be the 4pm flight. I don't think the difference between the 744 and 77W in F is huge, but it's still a nice experience.

Originally Posted by dg4255 View Post

B) We can fly on TG from HKG to BKK at 1245pm arriving at 230pm with the new F class on a 744, then have a 5 hour layover in BKK before continuing to SIN in C class on A330. We could then take advantage of the Royal Spa in the F class lounge in BKK and perhaps some amazing Thai food (if it exists in the airport.. and it is my favourite food!!) The flight would arrive into SIN at 1050pm which is not ideal, but earlier than the 815pm SQ flight arriving at 1155pm.
I am not familiar with TG - but will you be allowed entry into the F spa if your onward flight is in C? FWIW Thai food is also my favourite, but I didn't see anything that noteworthy in BKK airport that I wanted to try. I had much better Thai food in SIN. (I was only transiting in BKK but stayed in SIN.) The airport is huge and a little confusing but I've heard excellent things about the F lounge. The A330 C class is nothing special.


Originally Posted by dg4255 View Post
Price is comparable. Not interested in flying CX. My miles will credit to BD Diamond Club. Suggestions? Ideas? Experiences? Give me your vote. I am eager to hear what all your expert Asia travellers have to say.
I would go for SQ without a doubt unless you want to enjoy the F facilities in BKK. However, have you asked your SO if he/she minds a 5 hr layover en-route. When I was booking flights for my family, I happily booked a 5 hour layover en-route to enjoy the J class lounge (in BKK ironically) but I got a yelling and was forced to change to the 2hr connection.

I assume SQ will give you more miles?

Cheers,
sadiqhassan is offline  
Old Jan 18, 08, 3:07 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DCA
Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Posts: 22,219
First, yes, you can use the spa as an arriving F passenger. Actually, you can even use the spa (more limited services) as a C passenger. If you go via BKK, arriving in F you'll be met at the plane, just have them take you to the spa... and your arriving F boarding pass stub should suffice to get you the F treatments.

But then of course you're continuing on in TG C. So really you're back to 'should I go for SQ F or TG F?'...

And I would go for SQ F, even if that didn't have the added benefit of a non-stop. SQ F also means a longer F flight! The only thing you lose is TG's ground service which - while nice - doesn't make up for the fact that SQ F is such a meaningfully better product in the sky.
gleff is offline  
Old Jan 18, 08, 4:04 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,010
Well, for BD Diamond Club, SQ even in F only gives 200%. TG will give 300% on the HKG-BKK leg and 200% on the BKK-SIN leg. But that is such a minor consideration. I am a Skyteam flyer, so would prefer one of the airlines in that alliance, but China Southern is not so desirable. It's a 757 from Guangzhou to SIN. Hmmmm.. 744 or 777 vs 757? Is that even a contest?
Regarding the 5 hour connection, my SO will do whatever I choose. That is not a problem. And I imagine we would both enjoy the massages in the spa. That would really be the only reason to take the connection - to experience the spa and F class lounge in BKK.
dg4255 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 08, 4:21 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A lovely little town filled with cows
Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,283
If you're going BKK-SIN, why not take the LX flight in F?

It leaves at 4:20pm which only gives you two hours in BKK - probably enough for a spa visit, but potentially a negative. Upside is you're in F, and you arrive in SIN at 7:50pm - not too late, not to mention you can still credit BD.
vysean is offline  
Old Jan 18, 08, 4:51 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE & SE Asia, N America
Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Posts: 3,105
If you're arriving in TG F with an onward connection in C I've been told that you will have no problem getting into the BKK TG F lounge. They have a quite good selection of Thai food in the F lounge, as well as other foods. They will cook your food to your order and bring it to you. That combined with the full spa for F passengers would make me choose TG over SQ. If it was just for the flight though, I'd choose SQ over TG.
A_Lee is offline  
Old Jan 19, 08, 11:56 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 13,144
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
I don't think the difference between the 744 and 77W in F is huge, but it's still a nice experience.
For F, I prefer the 77W seat for sleeping but prefer the 744 ones for sitting upright.
Rejuvenated is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread