FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   UA or SAS LAX-CPH? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/780284-ua-sas-lax-cph.html)

mmthomps Jan 17, 2008 10:40 am

UA or SAS LAX-CPH?

I'm a 2P on UA, flying LAX to CPH this summer (E+, but likely no upgrades). Can someone compare or recommend SAS and UAL, which seem to be my best two options in terms of price, schedule, etc.?

FlyinHawaiian Jan 17, 2008 10:48 am

In order to get the SAS side of the story, let's move this to the Star Alliance Forum.

Thanks,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

boifromtroy Jan 17, 2008 10:49 am

Probably best flying UA to LHR or FRA on the nonstop with E+ then connecting to SAS.

Unless you are like me and want to maximise the miles... I'm leaving this afternoon for a BUR-SFO-FRA-CPH-ZRH-IAD-DEN-BUR MLK Jr. Day Mileage Run.

Cosmos M Jan 17, 2008 10:51 am

I have not enjoyed SAS compared to UA in my limited experience. They do have an economy plus like configuration, but they don't let you pick your seat days in advance like UA.. you have to be eurobonus gold, or check in and pick it.

For the long haul, they have economy extra, but your 2p status does not get you that. I was a 1k and they would not let me grab it when I asked.

The nice thing about SAS is the lounges.. Carlsberg on TAP!!!

ckidder331 Jan 17, 2008 11:07 am

I have done both SAS and UA

I took SAS ORD-CPH

** Good service, didnt care for the food coices which are scandinavian (breakfast was yucky as I just wanted something continental). The plane was packed and I was in a middle seat in the middle section with a lot of Danes around me. Everyone reclined so not much room for me and didnt sleep all that well cramped in.

8 for service
5 for food
5 for comfort
6 overall

I took UA IAD-FRA and then SAS FRA-CPH

** decent service, food was okay (i think it was chicken or beef, which you'll find on many UA flights overseas). Breakfast was decent. I had economy plus which was a lot more room than SAS offered so I slept much better on that flight. Plus as a UA member i got my e-500 mile credits and lifetime mile credits. one thing to note, SAS did forget a container of bags in FRA and mine was one of them. I arrived Sat afternoon and they had it to me by sunday midday - but that can happen with any airline anytime.

8 for service
7 for food
8 for comfort in Econ+
8 overall

gakke Jan 17, 2008 11:08 am

If you want to fly SAS, they are selling their summer specials right now. http://www.flysas.com/en/us/Promotio...ac=summerfares

An Economy Extra ticket is now about $2000 t/r. (until the end of Jan.)
Not cheap, but something worth the extra comfort in many FT'ers opinion.

The shorter flights are over SEA.

One of the other things to consider, is that you can normally upgrade from economy to business for $450 (on the flight to CPH only).

FT Guest xyzpdq Jan 17, 2008 11:52 am

SAS is flyng a three class configuration to CPH from SEA, ORD, IAD and EWR (and SFO starting this fall - but I guess that is too far in the future). the three classes are Business with lie flat seats, Economy extra with added leg-room and broader seats as well as upgraded service (AVOD, free alcohol, etc) and a seperate cabin, and finally the standard economy.

The Economy Extra is a seperate class and not be compared with UAs E+. SAS does not upgrade except in case of op-ups and with points/miles (at gate with SAS EuroBonus points or in advance from higher Economy fares as part of the *A upgrade scheme). During winter you can usually buy the upgrade at check-in (if seats are available) for USD 250 - a VERY nice deal worth every cent.

In Economy SAS takes the price with better service and in-seat video on nicely configured Airbus 340/330s. The joker here is of course 1) Can you get access to UA E+? If so it is likely better than the standard SK economy (I have no recent UA E+ long haul experience) and 2) Additional miles you may earn on United as UA MP member.

From the west coast I have found the SEA route to be the best timed. You leave from SEA around 7pm which brings you into CPH at around 1pm the following day - and you do not have to connect at FRA or LHR (and SEA beats both of these any day as a connection point).

Do note that SK intra-European flight are basically a seat - no service what so ever.

Hope you wil enjoy Copenhagen.

Kiwi Flyer Jan 17, 2008 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by boifromtroy (Post 9086909)
Probably best flying UA to LHR or FRA on the nonstop with E+ then connecting to SAS.

Or NZ LAX-LHR then connecting to SK.