Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Europe to Japan Biz seat for someone who doesn't like ANA's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm looking to fly to Japan later this year and redeeming some miles so that I can fly in Business (my back isn't so good).

A while ago I would have thought that the best choice for me was ANA, but I flew from LHR-NRT last year in Business and didn't like it at all. The food was OK, but the seat was deeply uncomfortable... I actually found it quite painful.

I'm fine with true lie flat beds (I loved my flight to YYZ in Air Canada's new Suites) and I find old style Business Class very comfortable (BMI's pre-refurbishment The Biz and UA's - and to a lesser extent - Alitalia's seats were all fine for me and I slept well in all of them.

So my question is - are there any Star Alliance airlines that have Business Class seats between Europe and Japan that aren't angled operating tables?

I can only think of NZ which would mean a detour to Hong Kong (not necessarily a stopover I want to make in the Summer)

And I'm not sure if Air China's Business class seats are 'old school' or the angled flat kind.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NZ via AKL
SQ via FRA/CDG/ZRH and SIN (SIN-NRT angled)
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Why not NZ via HKG? That's actually an excellent suggestion. If not, fly SQ through CDG or FRA.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Ac?

Would LHR-YYZ-NRT or LHR-YVR-NRT be more expensive? Not sure. I think you could manage to have the 777 suites all the way and as you have already experienced those to be comfortable for you, it would be a safe choice.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ulyparis
Would LHR-YYZ-NRT or LHR-YVR-NRT be more expensive? Not sure. I think you could manage to have the 777 suites all the way and as you have already experienced those to be comfortable for you, it would be a safe choice.
A LOT more - so unobtainable.

"Why not HKG?"

I'd best stress that my back is not very good at all and I'm looking for a less painful way to fly to NRT than Economy.

Alas, long detours to SIN or HKG (or YYZ/YVR) aren't really that great for my back. I'd be up for a layover if I could see Singapore or Hong Kong but I can't get around very well so sightseeing would be incredibly difficult and the summer heat in HKG would be a killer.
I haven't discounted them - but they would be a last resort.
Kiwi Flyer - I thought Raffles Class seats on SIN were angled
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...class_seat.jsp
What kind of seat would the Europe-SIN portion actually be in?

So far, the only plausible options that would get me to Japan with the minimum amount of pain seem to be:

Air China? in Business (not sure if this is correct as I don't know if recaro seats mean this http://www.dragonair.com/ka/manage_c.../panel_fn.jpeg or this http://www.johnnyjet.com/images/PicF...y11BizSeat.JPG)

ANA/LH/OS/SK/OZ in economy (not worth redeeming miles for - so paying for Y in Aeroflot might be worth going for if the connection time is good as it gives a break at a convenient point in travel)

Even Air Turkey seems to have the sliding tables
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by LapLap
Kiwi Flyer - I thought Raffles Class seats on SIN were angled
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...class_seat.jsp
What kind of seat would the Europe-SIN portion actually be in?
Spacebed, on 777-200ER and 747-400 are flat on an angle.
77W has true flat bed, and available on CDG/ZRH/BCN/MXP/FRA* to SIN (and some SIN-HKG/ICN)
A380 also has true flat bed, but not yet on the LHR to SIN or SIN-NRT routes.

* (the flight that goes through FRA to/from JFK is on 747-400 and thus spacebed, the other flight is 77W).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.