Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Released seat for partner airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:04 am
Original Poster

I am trying to find a seat on flight in August to South Africa with my US Airways miles. I have had no luck ... does anyone know when SA airways or Lufthansa releases their seat to their alliance partners ???
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:22 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Welcome to FT!

Usually reward seats are released some 350 days in advance, so it is very well possible that some seats have already been taken.

In order to help you better, we need more information:

- From where do you want to fly (country & city)?

- Any preference between CPT and JNB?

- How many seats do you need?

- First / Business / Economy?

- Any date in August ok?

- How long do you want to stay / latest return date?

You can search for reward seats by using http://www.seatcounter.com, but for better results try to search for each segment independenty.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk jokereke

Premium (ie first/business) awards to South Africa are hard to get on any airline.

That said, how are you currently checking? If calling US Dividend Miles it may be they aren't looking up all the options, or there may be a problem with connecting flight that results in "no availability" answer? Have you tried looking for yourself using the ANA award look up tool? (Sign up to www.ana.co.jp/eng and search for award - no cost and no need for miles to search.) Also familiarise yourself with routing options by searching on www.staralliance.com .
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by jokereke
I am trying to find a seat on flight in August to South Africa with my US Airways miles. I have had no luck ... does anyone know when SA airways or Lufthansa releases their seat to their alliance partners ???
Don't forget you also have TP and LX serving JNB. (As well as TG and SQ, but I don't think US rules would allow U.S. - SEAsia - Africa on a reward).

Also, many automatically look to the direct (SA) or via Europe routings and forget that SA also fly to J'Berg from Sao Paulo. If US redemption rules allow it, that's often a good option to check out.

Cheers and welcome to FT.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by jokereke
I'm waiting on an award Business Class ticket seat to be allocated KWI-FRA-BHX on LH using TG points.

I've been wait-listed since back in September (I think) when I booked the ticket, was confirmed all other sectors Business Class at the time of booking, and confirmed economy for the KWI-FRA sector.

Called LH in Kuwait to ask the status, and the guy told me very clearly and specifically, that if I wait until very close to the date of travel, it is much easier to get the award seat. He wasn't able to confirm it yesterday (I travel in 4 days time) but he assured me there will be availability this evening, he'll confirm the seat, and call me.

I'm surprised - I thought there were a specific number of award seats allocated from day 1 of taking bookings. But it seems that's not always the case.

Good luck ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.