Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

SIA and LH: Checking through possible when holding separate e-tickets?

Old Jan 10, 08, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am new here so apologies if this type of question has been answered before.

My question:
If flying SIA SIN-FRA and then catching a domestic LH-flight FRA-TXL (Berlin), can I check my baggage through and connect in transit (and avoid immigration) even if I have two separate e-tickets?
I want to do the same on the way back, but this time it's BCN-FRA with LH and then FRA-SIN with SIA.

The connection times in FRA would be relatively short, 75 and 80 minutes respectively.

Any difference if I do it with SIA in SIN or with LH in BCN?

Background:
It looks like if I book the flights separately online on LH and SIA websites, the tickets are cheaper than what I can get with an agent (+ I get more miles when booking online with Amex Krisflyer card). Maybe I have the wrong agent? I am relatively new to Singapore and to Frequent Flying in general so would be happy for recommendations for agents. Can I book on the phone with SIA and still get good rates? Never tried that, always booked online.

My status with SIA: Currently I have no status on SIA but at the time of the flight (August) I will most likely have at least Silver Status, maybe even Gold or PPS membership (will fly lots of business class in SIA from Feb 08 onwards). Would my status make any difference when trying this?

Thanks in advance!!
GwailoSIN
Old Jan 10, 08, 12:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Welcome to Flyer Talk GwailoSIN

You should be able to through check your bags. When you check in with SQ at SIN show your onward ticket/eticket in order to get your bags tagged through to TXL (and check they have done this correctly).

Note you will still clear immigration at FRA because you are entering the Schengen zone there, but this is quick passport check. You will also need to check in and get your LH boarding pass at FRA (do this at the transfer desk).

Same applies in reverse. At BCN show the onward SQ ticket/eticket. You will clear immigration at FRA when you leave the Schengen zone. Again need to check in and get your SQ boarding pass at FRA (do this at the gate used by SQ).

Status makes no difference to this process. Note that by flying on separate tickets you are running a risk of misconnecting. The flight BCN-FRA in particular does not need to be much late for you to miss check in cut-off for the SQ flight. (Same applies for SIN-FRA but slightly less of a problem given the higher number of flights between FRA and TXL, compared with FRA-SIN).

I notice you have posted the same post to 3 forums. This is called cross-posting and is frowned upon (because it scatters information and annoys readers to see the same thing in multiple forums). The relevant moderators will likely close 2 of the posts and keep one open for responses.
Old Jan 10, 08, 1:40 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Kiwi said it all - the only difference in an out is that you will have to re-clear security upon entering the Schengen space whereas you will not have to do so when leaving it.

That will make the return mildly more efficient.

FRA is notorious for using bus gates for the smaller connecting flights (or larger ones if they are UA or TG ) which prepones gate closing time. Paired with security that might help you making it a stressful connection in FRA ... be prepared for a dash to the gate and possibly a somewhat low quality seat for the short domestic hop.
Old Jan 10, 08, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Smile

Thanks for the quick answers!
Sorry for the cross posting, will refrain from this in the future.

Search this Thread