Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW in C or F

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN , UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver, GHA Black
RTW in C or F

Sorry to ask this question but where is currently the cheapest place to buy a RTW ticket.

Thanks!!!!!
Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by UA 100K
Sorry to ask this question but where is currently the cheapest place to buy a RTW ticket.
Canada.

Though that doesn't answer the question you wanted to ask. I'm not sure of the answer to that question, but Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia and maybe the Philippines were among the least expensive for F a few months ago, and Japan fairly close. Mauritius may also have inexpensive.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: 1MM
Ditto - RTW fares have skyrocketed (or more correctly) the dollar has crashed. So where are the good deals?

Last edited by ZCini; Jan 4, 2008 at 4:38 am Reason: correct spelling
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:49 pm

Try ex CGK or DPS in Indonesia for RTW

Try Indonesia to issue your RTW.. I have been using RTW flights ex CGK and DPS for about 33000 miles all D class (discounted business class) on *A for USD6500, at most USD7000, I think it's not cheap but quite a good deal, considering you have control over the routes and what *A airlines you want to fly ... I use 95% all SQ flights in and out of the US, to Asia, Europe, etc..

Route your travel plan through the RTW *A Mileage Calculator, and then contact either UA, LH, or SQ Indonesia to issue the ticket for you.. Usually the most 'dominant' carrier or the 'first leg' carrier is responsible for flight issuance...

My routes in the past:
CGK-SIN-IAD-CMH-IAD-ZRH-BKK-SYD-MEL-SIN-CGK
CGK-SIN-FRA-IAD-CMH-IAD-GRU-ORD-LAX-NRT-BKK-SIN-DPS
DPS-SIN-EWR-ORD-CMH-IAD-FRA-PVG-PEK-ICN-SIN-DPS
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rliono
Usually the most 'dominant' carrier or the 'first leg' carrier is responsible for flight issuance...
Again this myth is repeated. In fact, according to the *A RTW rules, any carrier participating in the itinerary can issue your ticket.

cheers,

Henry
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by henry999
Again this myth is repeated. In fact, according to the *A RTW rules, any carrier participating in the itinerary can issue your ticket.

cheers,

Henry
While *A says that, the carriers can be quite stubborn about it.

Looks like Japan does a C RTW, 29,000 miles for less than 6,000 USD now.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by henry999

cheers,

Henry

Myth or not, the rules don't explicitly state that any carrier is required to issue tickets whether or not the first flight is with the ticketing carrier. Here's the response I got from *A when complaining that SQ is refusing to book my RTW because the first flight was on LH (even though 70% of the mileage was on SQ):

Thank you for writing to us at the Star Alliance Help Desk.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused to you while booking your round-the-world fare. We can confirm that, this fare is valid on most flights operated by Star Alliance member airlines.

All operational matters such as pricing and bookings are handled by the airlines themselves. If the Singapore Airline office was not able to assist you, we recommend contacting any other airline reservation offices available locally. Their phone numbers can be found from the 'Booking Contacts' section of our website <www.staralliance.com.

Thank you for your understanding.

Season's Greetings,

Star Alliance Help Desk
STAR ALLIANCE
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by getonline33
Myth or not, the rules don't explicitly state that any carrier is required to issue tickets whether or not the first flight is with the ticketing carrier. Here's the response I got from *A when complaining that SQ is refusing to book my RTW because the first flight was on LH (even though 70% of the mileage was on SQ):
Another example of SQ not playing by *A rules.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:14 am

I had a RTW *A J ticket ex-CGK last year, and it's true that not any *A carrier can issue it. It is supposed to be issued by the carrier with the first intercontinental flight. (I got the same answer from SQ, TG, UA, etc.) So, if your routing is CGK-SIN (SQ) then SIN-BKK (SQ) then BKK-CDG... (TG), TG is supposed to issue the ticket.

BTW, the fuel surcharges very quickly added up substantially to be base cost of the RTW ticket. In my case, because I chose SQ flights over UA flights as much as possible, all of SQ fuel surcharges added another $600-800 to the base cost, but my strategy was to maximize the # of flights on SQ and minimize those on UA, so I paid up. (BTW, at that time, UA did not have fuel surcharges - is that still true today?)
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:03 am

Programs: EK Platinum, QR Gold, LH Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Priority Pass, Global Entry
RTW Namibia/South Africa

Originally Posted by zrs70
While *A says that, the carriers can be quite stubborn about it.

I just booked/purchased a CRTW in Namibia for US 6,194, PLUS almost 1000 in taxes!!! This was WDH-JNB-FRA-MEX-LAX-SFO-HKG-JNB-WDH

Booked through South African Airways, as there's practically now choice here
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
the past year, I have found Tokyo to be the cheapest place to buy
FRTW fares.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
it's true that not any *A carrier can issue it. It is supposed to be issued by the carrier with the first intercontinental flight.
Not at all! I did 2 RTW, both originating from BKK with TG. First one issued by UA in BKK (through Chawla TA), second one issued by AC in YUL!

Fortunately as I always have to make change and waiting over the phone for 40 minutes each time with TG would have been a nightmare.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by ulyparis
Not at all! I did 2 RTW, both originating from BKK with TG. First one issued by UA in BKK (through Chawla TA), second one issued by AC in YUL!
Well, when I was purchasing my RTW in CGK, I was told the same thing by the SQ, TG & UA offices. All 3 airlines were quite clear, adamant, and consistent about who gets to issue the ticket.

For your UA-issued ticket ex-BKK, was UA the carrier that took you over water on a transcontinental flight? If so, that'd explain why they issued it for you. (Same thing for the AC-issued ticket.) If not, there are obviously inconsistencies in how different markets have different rules or interpretation thereof.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
This may be a dumb question, but can someone clarify the implications of this if I'm not in Japan?

i.e. Can I buy the ticket in Japan to start anywhere in the world? Or does this deal only apply if I can get to/from Japan by some other means, and RTW from there, back to there?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
This may be a dumb question, but can someone clarify the implications of this if I'm not in Japan?

i.e. (A)Can I buy the ticket in Japan to start anywhere in the world? Or (B) does this deal only apply if I can get to/from Japan by some other means, and RTW from there, back to there?
Only (B), I'm afraid. You can of course buy the ticket in Japan to start anywhere in the world, but then you still have to pay the 'anywhere in the world' price. Canada is the only country where you can buy the ticket to start from anywhere else, at the price of 'anywhere else'.

cheers,

Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.