Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

What's the Star Alliance Gold Lounge in Dubai like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the Star Alliance Gold Lounge in Dubai like?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Dubai Star Alliance Lounge - Picture Reiew

This is a quick report on the Dubai Star Alliance Lounge. The whole lounge bears the imprint of Lufthansa - no doubt its predecessor.

The lounge is rather small and I would not want to be in it at peak hours. I was there when a single Singapore Airlines flight was leaving.

The lounge has a regular section and a first class section. The regular section is divided into a dining table area, a bar-stool area, and a sofa area. The first class section is essentially the same as the sofa area of the regular section, the difference being its not as crowded at peak hours.

The food and beverage offering was quite decent:

Last edited by Braniff; Jan 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Nice photo review! Thanks for posting!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
campaign to get SA/LH to fix up a specific lounge

Are there instances of this happening in the past?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
squashed

Interesting to see those pictures with food.
During my several visits they had none, which brings them on par with other LH-lounges worldwide.
But the place is always overcrowded. You have more space if you stay outside.
And the dragons have long given up on the situation and no longer care who stays in Business and who goes into SEN.
The pub in the Irish Village is the better recommendation.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Continental, Delta, Southwest Air, Malaysia, Air India
Refurbished Lufthansa Star Alliance Club in Dubai

I just read that Lufthansa has refurbished its club in Dubai, so I'll be interested to see if it has improved since all of you provided critiques. I'll be visiting it on August 21. I did go to the Marhaba Lounge outbound from DXB to KBL in late July and it was atrocious. I wrote a scathing review on their questionnaire. Can you imagine a lounge that closes its bathroom for cleaning for hours?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Continental, Delta, Southwest Air, Malaysia, Air India
Originally Posted by PaxCGN
Interesting to see those pictures with food.
During my several visits they had none, which brings them on par with other LH-lounges worldwide.
But the place is always overcrowded. You have more space if you stay outside.
And the dragons have long given up on the situation and no longer care who stays in Business and who goes into SEN.
The pub in the Irish Village is the better recommendation.
Every time I've been in the Lufthansa lounge before refurbishing in the past few years I too found no one cared which side you went on. I also found LOTS of food, drink, and champagne on every occasion.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:33 am

soso lounge

DXB Lufthanse Star Alliance GOLD lounge, 07 DEC 2011 located in Terminal 1 by gate 126.

I think they must have recently updated the lounge because it doesn't look like any of the pictures that were posted. I have attached some pictures myself.

First the details.

The lounge in itself has 24ish cushy single chairs and 1 cushy double chair. There's also 3 lawn chair looking things for laying down. The food looks and tastes alright, probably a 6 out of 10 (10 being the best lounge food I've tasted). It's mostly cold cut sandwiches. There's 1 TV tuned into CNN and 2 HP business computers. Internet is pretty fast 20.90 MBPS down and 10.24 MBPS up. The 6 hours I was in there the capacity didn't go over 15.

I arrived at 17.55 and waited for the lounge to open up at 18.00. At exactly 1800 a lounge employee cracked open to automatic doors with his fingers and entered. I asked him if it was ok for me to come in and he said "1 more minute please" I said "OK" and continued waiting. At 18.10 a female employee cracks the doors with her fingers and I say "It's 18.10, can I come in" she says "Not yet" at 18.11 the Lufthansa lounge exterior lights come on and at 18.14 she opens the door. When I walk up to the counter to show her my identification for the flight I say "Well, I hope it was worth the wait" to which she responds "You can't expect us to open on time every day" ........?????? I say "Well, if I was running a lounge for premium costumers I would make sure I opened 5 minutes early every day. To this she responded "Sir, you are a United costumer and not Lufthansa" With that said I entered the lounge.

INSIDE (Food and Drinks back right, internet stations on the left. Taken from the back of the lounge)

OUTSIDE (Notice clock at 18.10)

OPENING HOURS

I don't consider myself to be a unfriendly traveler, but this just rubbed me the wrong way.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by familyblom
...she responded "Sir, you are a United costumer and not Lufthansa"...
That's obnoxious.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:56 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by familyblom
DXB Lufthanse Star Alliance GOLD lounge, 07 DEC 2011 located in Terminal 1 by gate 126.

I think they must have recently updated the lounge because it doesn't look like any of the pictures that were posted. I have attached some pictures myself.

First the details.

The lounge in itself has 24ish cushy single chairs and 1 cushy double chair. There's also 3 lawn chair looking things for laying down. The food looks and tastes alright, probably a 6 out of 10 (10 being the best lounge food I've tasted). It's mostly cold cut sandwiches. There's 1 TV tuned into CNN and 2 HP business computers. Internet is pretty fast 20.90 MBPS down and 10.24 MBPS up. The 6 hours I was in there the capacity didn't go over 15.

I arrived at 17.55 and waited for the lounge to open up at 18.00. At exactly 1800 a lounge employee cracked open to automatic doors with his fingers and entered. I asked him if it was ok for me to come in and he said "1 more minute please" I said "OK" and continued waiting. At 18.10 a female employee cracks the doors with her fingers and I say "It's 18.10, can I come in" she says "Not yet" at 18.11 the Lufthansa lounge exterior lights come on and at 18.14 she opens the door. When I walk up to the counter to show her my identification for the flight I say "Well, I hope it was worth the wait" to which she responds "You can't expect us to open on time every day" ........?????? I say "Well, if I was running a lounge for premium costumers I would make sure I opened 5 minutes early every day. To this she responded "Sir, you are a United costumer and not Lufthansa" With that said I entered the lounge.

INSIDE (Food and Drinks back right, internet stations on the left. Taken from the back of the lounge)

OUTSIDE (Notice clock at 18.10)

OPENING HOURS

I don't consider myself to be a unfriendly traveler, but this just rubbed me the wrong way.
Sorry about your unpleasant experience. They renovated the lounge, but they should work on their customer service.

Thanks for the photos. I will be at DXB in 2 weeks and plan to visit the lounge. Do you know if they still have showers?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Lufthansa

Originally Posted by Spunwasi
That's obnoxious.
...... Ah... ! another lady trained by Lufthansa, then :-)
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by uwr
Sorry about your unpleasant experience. They renovated the lounge, but they should work on their customer service.

Thanks for the photos. I will be at DXB in 2 weeks and plan to visit the lounge. Do you know if they still have showers?
Can you give us an update after your visit?
Old May 26, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Is the lounge still here?

I don't see it on the Terminal 1 map?

http://www.dubaiairport.com/en/passe...rminal%201.pdf

Also not listed on the airport site.

http://www.dubaiairport.com/en/passe...Terminal1.aspx

UPDATE: Yup, it's still there! Near gate 126. The food in the pics looks a little better, but it was very nice and quiet around 10pm.

Last edited by DCEsquire; May 28, 2012 at 3:43 pm
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:37 pm

refused entry to LH lounge as *G on United

I'm a relatively new *G and was on a United ticket flying YYZ-IAD-DXB-COK. I arrive on United and had a boarding pass issued by United for the last leg which was to be on Emirates. I was refused entry by the lounge dragon. Among the comments were things like "no access to anyone flying to India", "your are not on star alliance", etc. Maybe I missed something but I thought *G has lounge rights when travelling on a *G ticket even if only part of the itinerary is on *A metal.
Anyways, what disturbed me was the treatment I received from the dragon at the desk. Once I had mentioned my onwards flight is to India she had no interest to see my boarding pass. She consistently interrupted me when I tried to explain myself. I lost interest to be with people like that and retreated back into the common area. There are many nice coffee places with nice food and good coffee etc. and lot's of space which turned out to be just fine for me. *G is good for the extra luggage, but lounges???? Negative aura.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TG Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Lounge access is determined by the carrier/code of your next flight. So if the flight was on Emirates, you'd not have been entitled to the Lounge. Who issued the BP is irrelevant (or you could issue/printed one yourself), unless it also had a UA flight number as code-share. There aren't any direct *A flights from Dubai to anywhere in India, no code-shared flights either.

Though, the lounge people should have explained the rules to you. Looks like their attitude hasn't changed from previous years.

Enjoy the lounge on your return, you'll be entitled then.

Cheers!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:03 am

Thanks for this information. It makes sense to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.