Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

No Star Alliance Premier Pre-Boarding for Luftansa!

No Star Alliance Premier Pre-Boarding for Luftansa!

Old Oct 17, 07, 4:31 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Programs: UA Premier Executive, BA Blue
Posts: 12
No Star Alliance Premier Pre-Boarding for Luftansa!

Flew out of Kuwait on Luftansa flight LH629 from Kuwait City to Frankfurt on Tuesday, Oct 16. There was no pre-boarding call for Star Alliance frequent flyers or even for passengers requiring assistance. Just one made dash of the entire room to the boarding gate! I had even made a point to ask if there would be pre-boarding and was told, "no." Any suggestions on how to complain? Would it do any goo?
upgrade addict is offline  
Old Oct 17, 07, 4:49 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Soon to be LEGT
Posts: 10,928
You have to bear in mind that, in general, preboarding is a very strange concept to European FFers/premium pax, who tend to be much more interested in getting intoxicated in the lounge than waiting for everyone else to board. Therefore, European airlines quite often don't bother with priority boarding.
Not saying it is "right" or that it doesn't violate some rule somewhere, but that's the accepted custom and practice...
graraps is offline  
Old Oct 17, 07, 5:29 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,393
Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Star Alliance Forum.

>Global Airline Alliances>Star Alliance

Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
obscure2k is offline  
Old Oct 17, 07, 6:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Posts: 989
You'll find a similar experience at LH's hubs in FRA and MUC. I've always thought it was strange also.
aussieinsf is offline  
Old Oct 17, 07, 8:07 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Posts: 3,075
Originally Posted by upgrade addict View Post
Any suggestions on how to complain? Would it do any goo?
Given that Lufthansa does not pre-board at all based on status I think a complaint would be fairly useless...
Hagbard Viking is offline  
Old Oct 18, 07, 1:39 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NUE,MUC,INN,FDH
Programs: QF (WP, LTG), LH (SEN** till 02/20), AB-G, AF, AA
Posts: 2,029
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking View Post
Given that Lufthansa does not pre-board at all based on status I think a complaint would be fairly useless...
With LH there is Preboarding only for Familes with small children and people who need assistance. Frequent flyers love to stay in the lounge as late as possible and board very last.
If there is no preboarding for families with small children (which sometimes happens) I usually complain. I do not complain because of my status. LH does not publish pre-boarding as a benefit for their own tiers,.
Tyrolean is offline  
Old Oct 18, 07, 2:30 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: EU & Asia and up in the air
Programs: TK*G, AY OWE, IHG Plat Amb, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 837
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
With LH there is Preboarding only for Familes with small children and people who need assistance. Frequent flyers love to stay in the lounge as late as possible and board very last.
If there is no preboarding for families with small children (which sometimes happens) I usually complain. I do not complain because of my status. LH does not publish pre-boarding as a benefit for their own tiers,.
If I remember correctly then last time I was on IST-FRA, then in IST
they had the *G boarding in the beginning. But yes, it is better to stay
in the lounge as the flight might be delayed and then .. why the heck I
should stay in the plane for that?

For example on my last MXP-IST connection with AZ, where was the
bustransfer from the gate to the plane I was very happy to go on quite
in the end to the gate, as it turned out that the flight was delayed (for 4 hours in the end...) but that was when two buses had already taken people to the plane (engine crosscheck failed) and then I went straight back to lounge where I waited until the had sent a new plane from Rome to operate instead of the one we were supposed to use in the beginning.

Only time when I like preboarding priviledges and I make sure that I
get them is when I have plenty of carryon luggage and/or when I fly
CSA and go early enough to the gate to take my new boarding pass
(for complimentary upgrade)
Fims is offline  
Old Oct 18, 07, 2:56 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near FRA
Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Posts: 1,458
Originally Posted by graraps View Post
European FFers/premium pax, who tend to be much more interested in getting intoxicated in the lounge
Strange statement if you ask me . What makes you think so if I may ask?

F.R.
flyin´ruddl is offline  
Old Oct 18, 07, 10:13 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: SQ *G / A3 *G
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl View Post
Strange statement if you ask me . What makes you think so if I may ask?

F.R.
I have done that plenty of times
FlyingDobber is offline  
Old Oct 18, 07, 10:18 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Washington, DC USA
Programs: UA; Amtrak
Posts: 2,002
I think most of the rush to board in the US arises from the more liberal carryon baggage allowance and thus high demand for overhead bin space. Europe having stricter rules about hand luggage (and possibly more reliable handling of checked bags), overhead space is more abundant and thus boarding early is less, if at all, urgent.
choster is offline  
Old Oct 18, 07, 4:58 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: DEN, or so it says...
Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,842
Originally Posted by choster View Post
I think most of the rush to board in the US arises from the more liberal carryon baggage allowance and thus high demand for overhead bin space. Europe having stricter rules about hand luggage (and possibly more reliable handling of checked bags), overhead space is more abundant and thus boarding early is less, if at all, urgent.
I think you are right about that. I'm not too concerned about boarding when I am in Europe because of the carry-on restriction. In the US, I always try to board as soon as they call group 1 because I want to be able to stow my stuff.
dimramon is offline  
Old Oct 18, 07, 6:53 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Soon to be LEGT
Posts: 10,928
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl View Post
Strange statement if you ask me . What makes you think so if I may ask?

F.R.
I do it all the time.

Originally Posted by Fims View Post
when I fly CSA and go early enough to the gate to take my new boarding pass (for complimentary upgrade)
If you have already requested it at check-in, they will have printed it long before boarding is called.
Indeed, I prefer to get to the gate as boarding is ending in order to "not bother ground staff when they are busy boarding other pax" or maybe pour another glass of Becherovka from the Crystal lounge bar.
graraps is offline  
Old Oct 19, 07, 12:31 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: EU & Asia and up in the air
Programs: TK*G, AY OWE, IHG Plat Amb, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 837
Originally Posted by graraps View Post
If you have already requested it at check-in, they will have printed it long before boarding is called. Indeed, I prefer to get to the gate as boarding is ending in order to "not bother ground staff when they are busy boarding other pax" or maybe pour another glass of Becherovka from the Crystal lounge bar.
Actually they print them in PRG only when the check-in for the particular flight is closed.

But talking about Becherovka I just feel that it is time to have one as I was cycling outside before and I guess the wind was a bit chilly..
Fims is offline  
Old Oct 19, 07, 1:37 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London-Geneva
Programs: GGL CCR
Posts: 1,359
Originally Posted by upgrade addict View Post
Flew out of Kuwait on Luftansa flight LH629 from Kuwait City to Frankfurt on Tuesday, Oct 16. There was no pre-boarding call for Star Alliance frequent flyers or even for passengers requiring assistance. Just one made dash of the entire room to the boarding gate! I had even made a point to ask if there would be pre-boarding and was told, "no." Any suggestions on how to complain? Would it do any goo?
I take this flight a lot and it is rare to have more than 10 passengers boarding at Kuwait for this flight, so not sure before who you want to board?
jplondon is offline  
Old Oct 19, 07, 1:53 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near FRA
Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Posts: 1,458
FlyingDobber and Garaps: Me too, but don´t hit me from the back please

F.R.
flyin´ruddl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread