Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance FF Program for Infants

Old Apr 30, 07, 8:31 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P

Mrs. DownUnderFlyer and I are both LH Senators. Micro DownUnderFlyer (2 Days old) will also do quite a bit of flying.
LH doesn't accept M&M members younger than 2 years old even when paying full fare F. So the question is: which program should she chose?
I will most probably just enroll her with BD but I just wanted to check what fellow FTler are thinking. Are there any programs which offer special perks for the little ones?

EDIT: Just checked: You have to be 18 to enroll for BD....
Old Apr 30, 07, 2:08 pm

AC also has a 2 years minimum age requirement for Aeroplan.
Old Apr 30, 07, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, SPG Gold
If you are flying on an INS fare (infant no seat), then the baby is physically linked to the adult's (i.e. mother or fathers) PNR so that you cannot put two FF numbers in it, and the BP usually says the parents name or 'INFANT'.

Other than a few random bouts of good luck I have not found a FF that will credit on an INF fare even if booked in /F/ or /C/. UA is the only one that has manually credited, but 50% of the time send it back.

Of course if you are paying for the child's seat, I would just make a mistake on the application and get the date of birth wrong by a couple of years and you will be fine. Nobody ever looks up the DOB from the FF account.

Mark
Old Apr 30, 07, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
If BD allows you to enroll your child and get miles, I think I would go with BD. If you plan on bringing your child on a lot of trips, she might be a life-time Star Alliance Gold by 12 (for being BD Gold 10 consecutive years). BD has lower miles requirement for being a star gold as well.
Old Apr 30, 07, 11:40 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLTAM
Lot of programs have age minimums.

I've never heard of ANY being enforced. And I've seen lots of posts about babies just born with FF accounts.

I would sign the little one up for the LH account and I doubt you'll have any issues at all.
Old May 1, 07, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Lot of programs have age minimums.

I've never heard of ANY being enforced. And I've seen lots of posts about babies just born with FF accounts.

I would sign the little one up for the LH account and I doubt you'll have any issues at all.
You can't do it on the website (if you use the correct birthday it refuses to register) and I called the German Senator hotline yesterday and they didn't want to enroll her either. Maybe I just fill out a form from somewhere.
Old May 1, 07, 1:37 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, KE Morning Calm, OZ Gold, UA
United Mileage Plus has no minimum age. MP also gives full miles even for most of the cheap fares.

Asiana has a special program for children under 12, but at a reduced accumulation rate. (not sure if the reduced rate is for OZ flights only, or all *A flights...)
Old May 3, 07, 6:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, SPG Gold
Had no problem with UA, even made him a Premier using the deal they had going last year

Qantas also had no issues.

But confused why you don't just sign up for LH and get the birthdate wrong. You always retro-credit if someone causes a fuss, but I doubt any of the average checkin people would care or know.

Incidentally, I have had the worng SAS birthday for the past 5 years, some computer glitch happened and they dont care and actually cannot be bothered to change it.

Mark
Old May 4, 07, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer View Post
Had no problem with UA, even made him a Premier using the deal they had going last year

Qantas also had no issues.

But confused why you don't just sign up for LH and get the birthdate wrong. You always retro-credit if someone causes a fuss, but I doubt any of the average checkin people would care or know.

Incidentally, I have had the worng SAS birthday for the past 5 years, some computer glitch happened and they dont care and actually cannot be bothered to change it.

Mark

Thanks! I think I will sign her up for LH and maybe I make a mistake when entering her birthday.....
Old May 7, 07, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by Richard60 View Post
United Mileage Plus has no minimum age. MP also gives full miles even for most of the cheap fares
Agree. My son (3 1/2 - UA PremEx), now having invited his grandpa(!) in a *G lounge for the 3rd time .

F.R.
Old May 10, 07, 8:10 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
AC does not have a minimum age - my 16-month old son is Prestige on AC for the 2nd year. However, AC has been stingy in recognising credit if he's on a child's fare, but occupying his own seat (such as on US.)