Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Stopover/Surface Sector on RTW question

Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

I understand that I am allowed one stopover per city on an RWSTAR.

Regarding surface sectors, the rules state, "The last point of arrival and the first point of departure together count as one stopover."

So, suppose I wanted to have a stopover in ORD, then take some flights and go to MKE for a few days, then resume my RTW by taking a flight from ORD. Would that be legal, with the 1 surface sector stopover counting as an MKE stopover rather than an ORD stopover?
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
My understanding is it open jaws count as one towards number of stopovers, but both points cannot have another stopover, but can transit again at either (as long as within 3 transfers).

If I understand your post you want to have xxx-ORD (stopover) -yyy-MKE/ORD-zzz I dont think you can do this, unless the flights between ORD and MKE are on a separate ticket.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by wideman
I understand that I am allowed one stopover per city on an RWSTAR.

Regarding surface sectors, the rules state, "The last point of arrival and the first point of departure together count as one stopover."
They are considered as one stopover under number of stopover rules, but each city at either end of the surface segment is also counted as your one permitted City stopover under City stopover rule.
You would be permitted to transit either one again (if you haven't been through either point 3 times already on the trip) but you can't resume the journey at a later time in the itinerary from either point.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the rule clarification, Kiwi Flyer and Al B. (Even if it wasn't the answer that I'd hoped for.)
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:28 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Two questions for the experts regarding stopover/surface sectors:

1) According to the RTW rules "No more than 24 coupons permitted in an entire journey including for any subsequent re-routed journey."

I know that surface segments have to be included in the overall mileage but do they count as "coupon" as well? Of course I will not get a flight coupon for this but on the passenger receipt it will show up like Chicago - VOID - Milwaukee.

2) If I fly to ORD, drive to MKE and have an onward flight to DEN in less than 24h after arriving in ORD, does it still count as a stopover?

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Mar 7, 2007 at 7:16 am Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.