Buying star alliance miles

Old Nov 24, 05, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Buying star alliance miles

How and where do I purchase star alliance miles
Old Nov 24, 05, 3:32 pm

Not sure if this is a troll, but I'll bite.
No such thing as * miles - need to buy miles from your host FF scheme.
Old Sep 7, 08, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Does any *A partner have an open ceiling on maximum purchased miles?
Old Sep 9, 08, 4:57 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by jerylev View Post
How and where do I purchase star alliance miles
You can buy BMI miles if you are a member of BMI DC, limit of 20k for yourself per year, and other members can gift you up to 80k per year... Buying or selling of members miles is against T&C's of all A FF programs AFAIK.

tht
Old Sep 9, 08, 5:04 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Not just BMI. Also US allows you to buy up 50k for yourself and you can gift 50k to another member. I don't know much about other programs although I imagine they all have a similar scheme. Although they cost a quite alot so it is advised to use them to top up an account which just falls short of the required amount for a redemption.
Old Sep 11, 08, 2:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
buying miles direct from airlines is (for the programs that I know: miles&more, Mileage Plus) expensive, and most often also limited quantity wise.

but indirect there are ways to get unlimited amounts of miles.

my preferred examples is getting miles&more miles through swiss Coop Superpunkte (Superpoints). The Standard conversion rate is 2 Coop points = 1 mile. But so far once or twice a year they are promotions that let me transfer 3 Coop points into 2 m&m miles.

Currently unlimited amounts of Coop Superpoints can be bought through (swiss) auction plattforms like Ricardo (my preferred one) or ebay for about 1,2 swiss cents per Coop point.

I did accumulate several million miles for myself in the past 4 years, and also several million miles for family members and over 100 Million miles for third persons.

Buying/selling/trading Coop points follows all rules, contrary to selling miles for award tickets (which is against Frequent-flier-program rules).

On FlyerTalk we post and discuss this option in the miles&more (swiss) forum. Here is a link to such a discussion.
Old Aug 19, 10, 8:18 am

What is the best value to buy miles direct from airline?

I'm wondering if this is a pretty good deal or if another program had a better buying miles deal - I have no affiliation with US right now - but was considering biting on this deal (for the 50K+50K):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...sept-15-a.html

I don't think that there is starnet blocking like UA?

Compared to AC it looks like only one stopover allowed but otherwise seems to fit what I would need it for (F or at least J redemption).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old Aug 19, 10, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

US does NOT *Net block and they have decent routing rules - not as good as CO but reasonable enough. Most folks who have invested in the purchase get a pretty good deal out of it. I haven't heard of anyone complaining too much unless they were booking tickets for lots of other people from one account.
Old Aug 20, 10, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
US does NOT *Net block and they have decent routing rules - not as good as CO but reasonable enough.
I think US has two big things going for it: they consider HKG and Japan to be "North Asia" (CO does not). That really saves quite a lot on the redemption rates- especially when US will often let you buy a trip involving North Asia AND Europe (stopover) at the North Asia rate.

I also like US's redemption table a bit more than CO's (though the USA->Middle East and South Asia redemption rates are worse on US than CO, USA->North Asia and Australia are better on US, and Europe->North Asia F is only 100K on US, and 160K on CO ).
Old Aug 20, 10, 12:28 pm

Hi
I am in US and was trying to understand the item description but no luck...could not make out anything. Any other way I could buy those coop points. I remember going to the coop store in Zurich but had no idea they give such valuable points. Any advice??
Old Aug 21, 10, 12:49 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, QR, EK, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller View Post
I'm wondering if this is a pretty good deal or if another program had a better buying miles deal - I have no affiliation with US right now - but was considering biting on this deal (for the 50K+50K):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...sept-15-a.html

I don't think that there is starnet blocking like UA?

Compared to AC it looks like only one stopover allowed but otherwise seems to fit what I would need it for (F or at least J redemption).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Yeah, it seems like a pretty good deal with the 2-for-1 offer; works out to $0.01375 per mile, plus tax. I was thinking that I might buy the 50K+50K in anticipation of a long-haul F award.

Two questions:

-- Does US allow general members to cancel or change award tickets for free? This is one of the best features of UA's program (for 1K members), though I am getting fed up with their StarNet blocking.

-- Can you search for and put on hold a ticket if you don't have the miles in your account? I.e., reserve a ticket, then buy the miles? This may be moot if you can go on-line and buy the miles instantly while you're on hold with the US agent booking your flight. Perhaps someone can describe how the process works.
Old Aug 21, 10, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
US does NOT *Net block and they have decent routing rules - not as good as CO but reasonable enough. Most folks who have invested in the purchase get a pretty good deal out of it. I haven't heard of anyone complaining too much unless they were booking tickets for lots of other people from one account.
Thanks for this - I think I'll go ahead and do it for the 50K+50K and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
Two questions:

-- Does US allow general members to cancel or change award tickets for free? This is one of the best features of UA's program (for 1K members), though I am getting fed up with their StarNet blocking.

-- Can you search for and put on hold a ticket if you don't have the miles in your account? I.e., reserve a ticket, then buy the miles? This may be moot if you can go on-line and buy the miles instantly while you're on hold with the US agent booking your flight. Perhaps someone can describe how the process works.
Q1 - I think there are fees involved.
Q2 - yes I think you can except for SQ

For Q1 confirmation and Q2 I think this link will have the info you need:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ad-merged.html

This is also interesting as well - *A upgrade miles soon:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ming-soon.html
Old Aug 21, 10, 9:05 am
soy

Programs: Rapidly decreasing - BA Silver, O6 *G, HH DIA, Mrr PLT, Assorted debris
Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
Yeah, it seems like a pretty good deal with the 2-for-1 offer; works out to $0.01375 per mile, plus tax. I was thinking that I might buy the 50K+50K in anticipation of a long-haul F award.

Two questions:

Change/Cancel fee of $150 with US
If short, you can buy the necessary miles while doing the booking.