FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   What's the closest you've been to your milage maximum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/476479-whats-closest-youve-been-your-milage-maximum.html)

uproared Sep 26, 2005 12:08 pm

What's the closest you've been to your milage maximum?

I just booked a midi star alliance 26,000 mile RTW for $2300AUD.

My itinerary is:
MEL->SYD->LAX->LAS->PHL->LHR->SIN->DPS->SIN->MEL

For a grand total of 25,968 miles :).

I was pretty lucky, because anything over and I would have had to have spent an extra $400 on upgrading my ticket.

How close you have been? :)

SQFAN Sep 26, 2005 12:30 pm

Going for SQ Gold?

BTW, 6 miles :o

Kiwi Flyer Sep 26, 2005 1:39 pm

IIRC 38,995 miles

uproared Sep 26, 2005 5:41 pm

Haha, damn, I wasn't as close as I thought :)

No - I'm a university student - I only fly one RTW + 1 MEL-DPS per year, only enough to retain my pathetic silver status :)

BON Sep 27, 2005 5:52 pm

I'm currently planning for a RTW ticket and according to the RTW calculator my trip mileage is 28,999. :D ^

Kiwi Flyer Sep 27, 2005 6:28 pm

Watch out. I had one in planning that was also 1 mile under according to the tool, but official mileage was 5 miles over so wouldnt ticket. Took a lot of mucking around to change routing to get it under the limit.

BON Sep 27, 2005 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Watch out. I had one in planning that was also 1 mile under according to the tool, but official mileage was 5 miles over so wouldnt ticket. Took a lot of mucking around to change routing to get it under the limit.

:( I was worried about that. Thanks for the heads up, Kiwi Flyer. According to the Mileage calculator SIN-CGK is 557 miles but if you fly SQ, they would credit only 550. Which one do they use for the calculation?

Kiwi Flyer Sep 27, 2005 7:32 pm

If you're ticketing by SQ then they'll use the same mileage used for crediting purposes - ie 550. Other airlines may use another mileage amount.

retrav1K Sep 28, 2005 1:54 am

38,997 on a CRWSTAR3 ... took four goes to get it approved by SQ in BKK last year -- small changes each time got me what I wanted and came close to max'ing out

BEYFlyer Sep 28, 2005 2:11 am

28,382... BEY-FRA-JFK-PHX-SFO-AKL (thanks for the advice Kiwi Flyer) -SYD-SIN-FRA-BEY. And thanks to demue for putting this trip together.

tcswede Sep 28, 2005 3:19 am

Managed to book a Star3 with exacactly 39000 miles only to have it stopped because of 1 transfer to much in FRA - with adjustmentments following that it was only 38991 miles :D

Cheers

Thomas

massey Sep 28, 2005 3:02 pm

My travel agent allows me to use up to 29020 miles ^, and I have a few trips 29019 miles.

NWA_5479 Sep 28, 2005 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by BON
I'm currently planning for a RTW ticket and according to the RTW calculator my trip mileage is 28,999. :D ^

Come on! You have got to share! :D

RichardMEL Sep 28, 2005 10:03 pm

-3 miles for me :)

The infamous trip of 1998 or so - back when things were oh so much easier in Star land. I doubt we could get away with it these days. Yup, it came to 29,003 miles, but I was allowed to fly at the Star1 price due to some clever arguing of distances by my wonderful agent (the argument being YYZ-EWR is way less actual miles than YYZ-NYC, which is what the calculation uses, since EWR's much closer to YYZ - by 30 or so miles). The airlines involved agreed excepting one hold out... but that was resolved (and even I do not know how) and I was good to go.

AH, those were the glory days.... before fuel surcharges.. before max. sector limits... the heady days when your taxes and charges were well under 10% of your total ticket cost. unbelieveable!! :D

demue Oct 10, 2005 7:22 am

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
28,382... BEY-FRA-JFK-PHX-SFO-AKL (thanks for the advice Kiwi Flyer) -SYD-SIN-FRA-BEY. And thanks to demue for putting this trip together.

Great, but I still feel we should have maxed it out a bit more. ;) I know, time is of the essence on this trip and you don't want to end up doing some useless hopping around to get the most mileage out of it. :D Overall pretty decent what we came up with I think. Still puzzles me that there are no direct *A flights from Japan to OZ? Have you made up your mind about C or F class?

Cheers ...