Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

TAP Portugal plans to buy 20% of VARIG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2005, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold

According to Bloomberg (http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...fer=news_index ) and other sources, TAP have signed a memorandum of understanding to buy 20% of VARIG (the most a foreign investor can hold in a Brazilian carrier) and to assist with restructuring the carrier.

I guess this could result in some rationalisation of Varig's European operations (they already codeshare fairly extensively with TAP).

An interesting move and probably welcome - TAP seem to be managed fairly well and VARIG couldn't be in a much worse position than they are right now, after the failure of the TAM merger attempt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.