Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

SIN - BKK - LHR in C & F which lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

HI,

In a few weeks I'm flying SIN - BKK - LHR all on TG metal. The SIN - BKK sector is a two class service, I'm in C. The BKK - LHR sector is 3 class and I'm in F. My question is will I be allowed into the F lounge in SIN?

I checked the * A web site and it says something like "passengers with same day * F class boarding pass will be allowed in any * F lounge". The thing is my SIN - BKK flight is in the evening with the BKK - LHR sector shortly after midnight so technically I won't have a same day F boarding pass when I'm in SIN.

Any ideas? Also what's the best F/C lounge in SIN? (sorry search still down).

Thanks ^ W.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Are you on a paid or award ticket?

Either way, can you switch the SIN-BKK to SQ airlines? Get F on their 3 class, and your problem will be solved!
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
Are you on a paid or award ticket?

Either way, can you switch the SIN-BKK to SQ airlines? Get F on their 3 class, and your problem will be solved!
Great idea zrs70 but unfortunately my wife's BKK - LHR sector is an award ticket issued by TG as part of a special promotion earlier this year, it's only valid on TG. My ticket is paid so I could switch but we want to travel together.

W
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:37 am
MEH

Programs: BD *G, LH FTL, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
SQ aren't too well known for their sticking to *A rules... but if I were you, I would print off the page from the *A website and take it with you.

If they refuse, ask for a Supervisor and stand your ground a bit.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 6:36 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by MEH
SQ aren't too well known for their sticking to *A rules... but if I were you, I would print off the page from the *A website and take it with you.

If they refuse, ask for a Supervisor and stand your ground a bit.
Not correct. The SKL in Changi is not an officially designated *A lounge and as has been stated numerous times access to it is restricted. Changi provides the SATS Premier Lounge as the *A lounge in T2, and it's crap.

Officially you won't get in but people who shouldn't have had access have previously mananged it so it's worth a go. TG actually have their own lounge in T1 at Changi where they depart from.

Good luck .
Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:54 pm
MEH

Programs: BD *G, LH FTL, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
MANFlyer.. I do appreciate where you are coming from, and I am aware of the previous discussions on this topic....

However, as they are a *A airline, they are required to abide by *A regs... unless there is a specific exemption, which is not stated on the *A website (unlike UA/US *G's access to RCC's etc).

I think they are on a very sticky wicket if they push it too hard with the First Class access... after all... their FC passengers have access to every other *A members FC lounges.

Customers who present an International First Class boarding pass, regardless of the Star Alliance carrier they fly, have lounge access. They, and one guest, are welcome to visit first class lounges or any other members' departure lounges when departing on a Star Alliance flight. Note: AC, BD, OS and SK do not have international first class service.

This is unlike the *G conditions, which do state that it is ONLY for designated *G lounges, which quite rightly is the SATS lounge in SIN.

Star Alliance Gold card holders and one guest, have access to any lounge that is identified with a Star Alliance Gold lounge sign when departing on a Star Alliance flight. Note: United Airlines' Premier Executive and Premier Executive 1K customers and US Airways' Chairman Preferred and Gold Preferred customers have access to U.S. domestic United Red Carpet Club and US Airways Club locations only when they present a ticket or boarding pass for a same-day international flight.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:29 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I don't see where they are on a sticky wicket to be honest. Access is allowed to lounges designated *A (Gold), which the SKL in Changi is not. Hence the SATS lounge for use by *A Gold card holders.

I'm not saying it's right, as I think the SATS loung in T2 is bloody awful, but as you are probably aware, SQ seems to make up it's own rules about it's participation in *A
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:55 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
I'm with MAN Flyer on this. SQ can do as it chooses, as it does.

From what I witnessed when passing through SIN last week, you won't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into the F section of the SilverKris lounge unless you're a) one of SQ's own top tier elites; b) holding a F boarding pass for travel on SQ that day.

As lounges go, my personal impression was that BA/QF/CX provide an infinitely superior product in terms of decor and ambience at most major hubs - even though locations like LHR T1 and T4 get overcrowded with OW elites at peak times. Still, SQ continues to serve Krug at its SIN and it's the only airline, as far as I'm aware, that has a smoking room within its lounge at that particular airport.

More to the point, if I were flying LH F and was fobbed off with SQ's J lounge, I'd feel mightily peeved; especially after all the OTT pomp of the LH F terminal at FRA on the outbound.

As a slight sidebar, I elected to use NZ's lounge at SYD as the SQ equivalent was utterly miserable. I was repeatedly reminded that the SQ lounge was down the corridor and, despite having a F BP in my hand, they were initially reluctant to admit me to the F section. Perhaps I should change my cologne

Last edited by virtualtroy; Mar 11, 2005 at 12:02 pm
Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Sorry. You guys are confusing two separate rules and are wrong in your conclusions.

As a Star Gold travelling in ECONOMY on any Star carrier that day, you are entitled to access to any Star Alliance Gold denominated lounge. Period. That's the end of that rule. (The Silver Kris lounges in Singapore are not Star Alliance Gold lounges.)

Different Rule:

Any passenger, regardless of status, flying same day on ANY Star Alliance carrier in business or first is entitled to access to ANY corresponding lounge of any Star Alliance carrier (i.e., business passengers can get into any business lounge; first class passengers can get into any first class lounge). This applies to the Singapore Silver Kris lounges as well.

The lone exception to this rule is the new Lufthansa Honors lounge at Frankfurt. To get in there, you have to be flying in first class, but only on LH, or be an LH Honors member (600,000 status miles in two years).
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:26 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Different Rule:

Any passenger, regardless of status, flying same day on ANY Star Alliance carrier in business or first is entitled to access to ANY corresponding lounge of any Star Alliance carrier (i.e., business passengers can get into any business lounge; first class passengers can get into any first class lounge). This applies to the Singapore Silver Kris lounges as well.
It may well do but I wish you luck if you have a F BP for any non-SQ *A carrier and try to gain admittance to the F section of the Silver Kris lounge. I've seen it happen, they will try their best to turn you away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.