Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Transatlantic Business Class on Star Alliance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Silver

The search feature doesn't seem to working at the moment, so I hope this is not a redundant topic.

What are your opinions on the best *A transatlantic business class? I'm most interested is comparing UA, LH and OS, for an upcoming trip to LCA. But I'm also interested in other *A carriers.

Cheers!

Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Where in the US/Canada (I'm assuming you arent travelling from central or south america) are you travelling from?

For instance SQ only transatlantic route is JFK-FRA, NZ only LAX-LHR.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget SQ's EWR-AMS J service which operated for many years until it was discontinued in favor of the nonstop. I truly missed that routing.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA UGS 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UA RCC, AA AC
Any suggestions for *A business class from Seattle? I've flown UA SFO-LHR most frequently and SAS SEA-CPH (occasionally), but would opt for: PDX-FRA (LH), YVR-LHR (AC), or LAX-LHR (NZ) if anyone felt passionate about the quality of service on these flights.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Having just been on NZ LAX-LHR (yet again) in business.

Food, drink and service are great.
Seats are old - will be much better when upgraded to suites (like VS Upper Class) starting mid 2005.
IFE limited to 8 channels each with 2 cycles. Again, will be better when refurbished starting mid 2005 - going to AVOD system with hundreds of channels.

Major downside of this route is LAX.

However all up I prefer NZ to LH business trans-atlantic even with hassles at LAX (and LHR to lesser extent).
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:57 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Westbound I'd stick with SK, CPH is a nic airport to transfer into, and I like SK for daytime flights (nice catering, nice seats, friendly service, etc) and you can get into EWR/ORD/SEA non-stop on nice and new aircraft.

Eastbound is bound to be a night flight, and if I had a choice I would catch SQ JFK-FRA. Except for BA's New ClubWorld, which isn't *A, the best nighttime I've had has been in a SpaceBed. Also, if you can't sleep, I only have stellar experience with SQ service.

As for ruling out the others, my reasoning is that I have a servere distaste for LH, never tried NZ and have a couple very gruff experiences with UA (except asia based crews on intra-asia hauls). BD is out on grounds of cradle seats for eastbound. But I am considering NZ LHR-LAX for my next RTW just to try, as they have been getting good writing about the catering and service.

Last edited by ph-ndr; Jan 5, 2005 at 9:01 pm
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC-E, LH-SEN, AA-PLT, KLM GE
washDCflyer,

I would opt for LH PrivateBed for eastbound flight (night flight) as this would give you a better opportunity to sleep. Then I would try OS on the return (day flight) as I hear they have excellent service.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:33 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
First choice would be SQ on JFK-FRA but if not I would highly recommend BD's transatlantic C product. It really is impressive, excellent service and superb catering provided by an on board chef.

All their flights are into MAN, daily from ORD, numerous times a week from IAD and 2/3 times a week from LAS.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
My first choice would be SQ. My second choice would be LH _only if_ the aircraft has the new C seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.