Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Cost for some award tix increases by up to 70% due to fuel surcharge

Cost for some award tix increases by up to 70% due to fuel surcharge

Old May 12, 04, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: IHG Spire Royal Amb, HHon Diamond, Marriott Titanium...Airlines: BA Gold (OW Emerald), LH SEN** (*G), QF Gold (LT Silver), VA, UA
Angry Cost for some award tix increases by up to 70% due to fuel surcharge

I just found out that NZ will be the first *Alliance airline to introduce a fuel surcharge on all flights starting Monday the 17th of May . Domestic flights $6 and international $15 to $20 depending on the distance. For me that means that my two "free" award tickets from SYD to PPT will cost me 70% more in additional taxes namely about $170 instead of $100 from the beginning of next week!

I post this here as I think more *Alliance airlines will probably introduce this surcharge and it'll add a significant amount of money to our hard earned "free" tickets. Once again this makes me think why the airlines can't be forced to cover all those extra airline surcharges for award tickets like the hotels do for their award stays. Why is it that we FFs put up with it and the airlines get away with charging us for our award tickets whereas the hotel programs don't?

Unfortunately, there is no other option to fly to the Pacific islands and I guess NZ is well aware of that fact. It just makes me mad that this will most of all have an impact on leisure travellers flying to the Pacific with family as those routes are very popular for awards. So, if you plan to take your loved one to Tahiti or the Cook Islands, book your ticket fast or be prepared for the 70% price hike...

Also, any guesses that this surcharge won't be taken away until the oil price hits the $20 mark again...until then it generates some nice additional revenue for the airlines...too bad that they won't invest it into planes that use less fuel.
Old May 12, 04, 10:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Here is thread on NZ fuel surcharge.

The way I read it, for domestic travel it is built into fare and so nothing extra for NZ domestic awards.

I am surprised taxes for SYD to PPT return were so low - whenever I fly trans-tasman it is much more than that, with over half arising from SYD.
Old May 12, 04, 10:59 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Folks.... price increases are not good... but please, lets not forget that the price of Oil is now $40. Airlines are already in financial dismal as it is, what do we want them to do...?
Old May 12, 04, 11:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
In NZ's case the fuel price rise is compounded by the sharp fall in the kiwi $. Referred to in the thread link above.
Old May 12, 04, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: IHG Spire Royal Amb, HHon Diamond, Marriott Titanium...Airlines: BA Gold (OW Emerald), LH SEN** (*G), QF Gold (LT Silver), VA, UA
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Folks.... price increases are not good... but please, lets not forget that the price of Oil is now $40. Airlines are already in financial dismal as it is, what do we want them to do...?
I tell you what I want them to do...cover all surcharges on our award tickets which they impose on us. Is that too much to ask for? I'm (sort of) happy to pay for the airport taxes, but why the hell should I pay for the fuel which is priced into the airfare itself. If they start doing that why not eliminate airfares alltogether and simply charge 50 different surcharges such as food surcharge, toilet use surcharge etc. ...you get the picture. All those costs are part of my airfare and therefore, they should not be charged for award tickets. Period.
Old May 12, 04, 11:56 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Originally Posted by Sydfly
I tell you what I want them to do...cover all surcharges on our award tickets which they impose on us. Is that too much to ask for? I'm (sort of) happy to pay for the airport taxes, but why the hell should I pay for the fuel which is priced into the airfare itself. If they start doing that why not eliminate airfares alltogether and simply charge 50 different surcharges such as food surcharge, toilet use surcharge etc. ...you get the picture. All those costs are part of my airfare and therefore, they should not be charged for award tickets. Period.
Folks.... this is the real world. Not alice in Wonderland....
Old May 13, 04, 2:27 am

I kind of agree that when airlines start passing on random charges to passengers it no longer becomes a free ticket, but a steeply reduced ticket with no mileage accrual. I am paying $100 to go to Europe on a free ticket, I cant see where it will end is all.
Old Jun 17, 04, 9:27 am

Looking for fares ex-Sydney, I came across this chart.
http://www.travel.com.au/info/surcharges_9jun04.doc

I was considering QF/SK's excellent mixed fare to European cities via Tokyo but honestly, having to pay AUD15(QF intl) + EUR32(SK intl) + EUR12(SK europe) just for fuel surcharges is a total turnoff!

I do understand the need to add this, but EUR32!?
Old Jun 17, 04, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, LC Aur, Hyatt Dmd, Mar/SPG "Lifetime" Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd
Sydfly has a valid point.
Old Jun 17, 04, 9:30 pm

now I know

at least (I think) I now know why my award ticket cost $118 in taxes when I was only quoted $85 two weeks ago
Old Jun 18, 04, 3:40 am

AC seems to be exempting the fuel surcharge on it's rewards, so that's one start in the right direction, if it holds up.
(I read "it's" to mean pure AC rewards, not * rewards.)
Old Jun 18, 04, 5:31 am

Asiana?

Anyone know is Asiana have a charge on their awards??