Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Would you like Emirates (EK) to join Star?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2004, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Would you like to see Emirates (EK) and their minority-owned subsidiary, SriLankan, to join Star?
Old Jun 12, 2004, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver
YES
EK is a great airline and offers very convenient connections between Australia and Europe and would add good Middle Eastern/North Africa destinations to *A. Their service is great and they also offer limo transfers at both departure and arrival airports for J and F classs passengers. My parents travel on them alot as they offer a substantial seniors discount. Both my parents have gold status in the EK FF program and get op-up to F very regularly, even on reward tickets.
Would be nice to see them in *A sometime soon.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 2:01 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Yes, most definitely.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Originally Posted by cslusarc
Would you like to see Emirates (EK) and their minority-owned subsidiary, SriLankan, to join Star?
Does anyone know if Sri Lankan flights can be accrued in any *A FF or partner programs? It appears not from
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320842

Last edited by ws8n; Jun 12, 2004 at 2:19 pm
Old Jun 12, 2004, 4:05 pm
Patron

Originally Posted by ws8n
Does anyone know if Sri Lankan flights can be accrued in any *A FF or partner programs?
UL participates also in Voyager, the FFP of SA.

Old Jun 12, 2004, 4:09 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Sure, why not.............?
Old Jun 12, 2004, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA: 1ex1K now Prem Plat Life 2MM ; SQ: exPPS
Yes

Absolutely.. more Middle East coverage, great service reputation

Sri Lankan -- I could pass
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:08 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
EK would be great in Star. UL.. well they're kind of like JK or LO... looks good in marketing and good for a few people on cheap CMB fares (!) but not much use on a global scale.

EK strikes me though as the SQ of the 2000's. By that I mean SQ spent a lot of the 90's amasing partners for their own feed/benefit (eg: DL, AN, NZ, LH, VS, SA, etc) which was all about SQ and far less about those other carriers. I think SQ was facing some realities when it eventually relented and joined Star (and even now SQ is trying to spin its Star membership for as much of its own benefit more than being a more willing member). EK aspires, and has the growth, to be _the_ airline of this decade - they have the quality service and products (the new F is supposed to outclass SQ) and global reach from DXB, and trying for all EK metal RTW flying via AKL and the 345's. EK does not *need* Star since on many routes they would likely just take traffic and revenue from EK. If EK wants feed it simply opens up the route. Sure, they have some partners but EK seems to want to run it as a one man show, plus right now they don't *need* the alliance players.

This is in contrast to, for example, SA, who realises they are a niche player in an importanrt and underserved market (alliance wise) - Africa. They could use the Star feed at connecting ports such as US gateways, LHR, SIN etc...

To summerise this long post I think EK would be fantastic to have in Star, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon given EK's current profile.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
Every announcement *Alliance makes I hope is for EK. I simply love the service, the food, and the vision the airlines has! They need a partner in the Middle East, and EK is simply the best. GF is not that great, and Qatar is growing but still not close to EK.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 8:04 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Yes. I would love the option of flying EK to New Zealand on a First award.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:35 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
What RichardMEL said! It would be great to have them in Star, but EK's strategy has been to strike bilateral agreements where it suits them, without having to deal with the expense, politics and inflexibility of a large alliance.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I was on Ted yesterday, and I read the UA magazine. I understand that UA and EK are FF partners - does that mean that the reciprocal benefits between those 2 airlines are similar to the reciprocal benefits between UA and other Star Alliance carriers?

Do any other Star Alliance carriers have a FF partnership with EK?
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
FG - see *A FFP Partner thread.

Answer - Singapore, United ... and future *A member South African
Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:18 am

No special treatment on EK for Premier members.

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I was on Ted yesterday, and I read the UA magazine. I understand that UA and EK are FF partners - does that mean that the reciprocal benefits between those 2 airlines are similar to the reciprocal benefits between UA and other Star Alliance carriers?

No, in fact there really are not any reciprocal benefits. The only benefit that a UA Mileage Plus member enjoys when traveling on EK is the ability to earn miles. The miles earned do NOT count toward Premier status. Mileage Plus members can also redeem awards for travel on EK, however the mileage required seems quite high. More details can be found using this link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.