Wiki Posts
Search

LH 747 or SK A350?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

LH 747 or SK A350?

Which flight would you prefer?
Option 1: OSL to FRA and FRA to IAD on Lufthansa 747 - layover in FRA 75 minutes
Option 2: OSL to CPH to IAD on SAS A350 - overnight layover in CPH

Also, is the layover of only 1:15 in FRA for Option 1 enough time? (Would we have to go through customs and/or immigration? I don't think we do, but want to make sure.)

TY!

Last edited by NordicGuy; Apr 16, 2023 at 6:32 pm Reason: Additional Info
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Need some more info to offer any guidance... plus I am sure this thread will shortly be relocated as it is not relevant to UA. Anyway... which class of service? 75 minutes at FRA is tight but doable, and there's a later UA FRA-IAD at 5pm if you misconnect. Would it be LH on OSL-FRA?

What time is the OSL-CPH? If it is an airport stay, then I would take the FRA layover. But if you have enough time to get out in the city, dinner, etc., then it's a compelling option for me. SK A350 is a nice ride (again, depending on class of service).
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I love a 747 so my heart tugs toward that always. And an overnight layover doesn't too great to me.

As EWR764 said, need more info though. If this is J, the SK350 will be all aisle access, the LH747 will not be.
NordicGuy likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764
Need some more info to offer any guidance... plus I am sure this thread will shortly be relocated as it is not relevant to UA. Anyway... which class of service? 75 minutes at FRA is tight but doable, and there's a later UA FRA-IAD at 5pm if you misconnect. Would it be LH on OSL-FRA?

What time is the OSL-CPH? If it is an airport stay, then I would take the FRA layover. But if you have enough time to get out in the city, dinner, etc., then it's a compelling option for me. SK A350 is a nice ride (again, depending on class of service).
I'm using United Award miles. ;-)

CPH layover is 16 hours but I'll be in CPH about a week prior.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
1h15min is enough time to do a Schengen to Non-Schengen transfer at FRA. Even with a bus gate on arrival you'll have enough time.

I would choose FRA connection unless you really like CPH and want to spend an extra night there.
NordicGuy likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If in J (business cabin), SAS (SK) has a mini J cabin with only 8 seats in the A350. I love this kind of configuration. AM also has something similar on its 789, among others.
NordicGuy likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764

Sorry...didn't answer all questions. Yes, J class award, 2 pax. And OSL-FRA is also on LH.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
LH in one day
NordicGuy likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It really depends on personal preference, with the overnight at CPH being the major factor to consider.

I would be slightly concerned about 75 minutes at FRA, as there's not much margin for error there. But it wouldn't stop me from choosing that itinerary if I didn't want to overnight at CPH.
NordicGuy likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:37 am

Any chance to avoid SK is a good chance. LH.
NordicGuy likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:29 am

Programs: UA
If you haven't had a chance to fly the 747, especially the upper level business cabin, definitely that.
NordicGuy likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Cookoovaya

Any chance to avoid SK is a good chance. LH.
Any chance to avoid LH is a good chance. SK who also offer you the A350, the best way to fly there is! SK business class seats are also way better than the LH cabin which is years out of date.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I always prefer the A350 - IMHO the best plane flying
James91 and Harper50505 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:12 am

Definitely prefer the SK option. A350 is the best plane I've ever flown
James91 and Harper50505 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Harper50505
SK business class seats are also way better than the LH cabin which is years out of date.
The OP says "we" so I presume they'll be travelling as a couple. Being one half of a tall couple myself, I'd always choose seats with no direct aisle access over seats with a footwell.

Also I'd never do an unnecessary overnight just for the sake of a better seat, especially not on a flight that's under 10 hours.
NordicGuy and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.