FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   RTW *A Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/2113698-rtw-questions.html)

braichu Mar 2, 2023 11:06 am

RTW *A Questions

Hi all,

I removed my earlier questions because I found answers for most of them.

My biggest challenge now is getting the Star Alliance RTW booking tool to land at the price they estimate when I first start the tool.

It shows an estimated price of $5200 in the flight selection screen but when I click to the final summary, the lowest combination of flights I can get is $5700.

Unterwegs Mar 2, 2023 5:04 pm

Do you trigger any surcharges for certain flights? Did your first estimate include all fuel surcharges etc?

halls120 Mar 7, 2023 11:13 pm

I’ve looking at various RTW routings and I’ve come across a strange anomaly. Every RTW itinerary I’ve looked at includes a $13.50 “Passenger Service Charge Guam” even though none of the itineraries includes a Guam stop. Is this a *A glitch, or is there another explanation?

braichu Mar 8, 2023 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 35056509)
Do you trigger any surcharges for certain flights? Did your first estimate include all fuel surcharges etc?

The tool has an estimate in the bottom right corner that gets updated after your final flight selections, but it doesn't break down the estimate so it's hard for me to tell.

In the end I was able to find a route starting in TYO that was $3200, mostly in M class. Now I have to get to Tokyo.

braichu Mar 8, 2023 6:50 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 35070218)
I’ve looking at various RTW routings and I’ve come across a strange anomaly. Every RTW itinerary I’ve looked at includes a $13.50 “Passenger Service Charge Guam” even though none of the itineraries includes a Guam stop. Is this a *A glitch, or is there another explanation?

FWIW my final receipt shows no such charge, but I also started my route in Japan.

halls120 Mar 8, 2023 7:58 am

Originally Posted by braichu (Post 35070835)
FWIW my final receipt shows no such charge, but I also started my route in Japan.

thanks

f4freeJunior Mar 18, 2023 4:19 am

Apololgies for chiming in here, but how are you guys able to select the same airport twice in the *A booking tool?
For example it should be allowed to stop and transit twice in FRA but for whatever reason FRA (or any other airport) does not appear again a second time in the drop down list.
What am I doing wrong?

Unterwegs Mar 18, 2023 11:14 am

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior (Post 35096601)
Apololgies for chiming in here, but how are you guys able to select the same airport twice in the *A booking tool?
For example it should be allowed to stop and transit twice in FRA but for whatever reason FRA (or any other airport) does not appear again a second time in the drop down list.
What am I doing wrong?

If I remember correctly you need to search for the flight to the next stopover, then potentially a transfer at the same airport will show and you can select that one.

lamphs Mar 20, 2023 6:33 am

I too am considering such a trip. I'll likely put together a desired itinerary and then enlist a TA that specializes in RTWs for suggestions/booking.

That said, remind me. What are the UA PQP earning restrictions on *A flights? (I know the preferred partner vs. other *A in terms of miles/something.). But is the PQP limit per segment or per ticket?

Just asking to ensure I maintain UA status.

Thanks.

supine Mar 20, 2023 6:46 am

Originally Posted by lamphs (Post 35101912)
I too am considering such a trip. I'll likely put together a desired itinerary and then enlist a TA that specializes in RTWs for suggestions/booking.

That said, remind me. What are the UA PQP earning restrictions on *A flights? (I know the preferred partner vs. other *A in terms of miles/something.). But is the PQP limit per segment or per ticket?

Just asking to ensure I maintain UA status.

Thanks.

Per segment.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ner-metal.html

dmax801 Jun 17, 2023 4:22 pm

RTW help

I created a biz-class *A RTW itinerary for two and went to pay for it (Not points?!? Quelle horreur!) . After cementing in my choices for flights & dates & seats, right before payment there's a pop-up showing that tells me that every single one of my flights is unavailable and "suggests" downgrades and alternate dates. Unacceptable. I've tried three times now with same pop up. I've contacted the *A folks through Twitter but no response so far.

Any of you run into this, or have any ideas? Much appreciated.

Itinerary for the curious: SFO->AKL->SYD->HND->SIN->DXB->LIS->MAD->BRU->CPH->FRA->SFO
Starting in Oct and should cost a little more than $23K for both and last about 8 months. Using my points for short hop flights (SYD->CNS->BNE->SYD for example) and lodgings.

Gardyloo Jun 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by dmax801 (Post 35340592)
I created a biz-class *A RTW itinerary for two and went to pay for it (Not points?!? Quelle horreur!) . After cementing in my choices for flights & dates & seats, right before payment there's a pop-up showing that tells me that every single one of my flights is unavailable and "suggests" downgrades and alternate dates. Unacceptable. I've tried three times now with same pop up. I've contacted the *A folks through Twitter but no response so far.

Any of you run into this, or have any ideas? Much appreciated.

Itinerary for the curious: SFO->AKL->SYD->HND->SIN->DXB->LIS->MAD->BRU->CPH->FRA->SFO
Starting in Oct and should cost a little more than $23K for both and last about 8 months. Using my points for short hop flights (SYD->CNS->BNE->SYD for example) and lodgings.

I can't comment on the Star Alliance online RTW tool (the Oneworld one is beyond hopeless) but are you aware that the base price for a CRWSTAR2 starting in Canada is around US$3000 less than one starting in the USA?

dmax801 Jun 17, 2023 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 35340816)
I can't comment on the Star Alliance online RTW tool (the Oneworld one is beyond hopeless) but are you aware that the base price for a CRWSTAR2 starting in Canada is around US$3000 less than one starting in the USA?

Well that was damned helpful and much appreciated! As I plan these things out, I know I know more than the person off the street, but I clearly miss straightforward important things like that. Much appreciated.

(Bonus: My Better Half™ was so excited she immediately agreed to the change and wanted to add a few days in Vancouver to the trip. Absolutely!)

Unterwegs Jun 17, 2023 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 35340816)

Prices for HND are also much lower. You could buy a positioning flight to HND and then do HND-Australia-SIN-Europe-US and are left with another trip to HND for the next RTW.

lall Jun 17, 2023 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 35341166)
Prices for HND are also much lower. You could buy a positioning flight to HND and then do HND-Australia-SIN-Europe-US and are left with another trip to HND for the next RTW.

Can you kindly give an example of the itinerary and its Ggogle flight/ITA Matrix price?