Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Is is harder to find Award flights post-covid on Star Alliance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:45 am
Original Poster

A luxury problem but I have two awards flights booked and have an additional two that I need to book this year, but it's almost impossible to find award flight, I mean period. This have always been the case but is it harder than usual?
I'm a SAS Gold member and have almost 7 figure bonus points and I just want to fly somewhere - I have a flight to Kenya on Wednesday that I have re-scheduled 2 times already (perviously due to covid) but this time due to work obligations (didn't know that in 2020 when I booked)

Just asking here. Mostly SK, LX, LH and TG (Prefer Asia)

Has it become harder to find award on Star Alliance flight?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by DirektornSE
A luxury problem but I have two awards flights booked and have an additional two that I need to book this year, but it's almost impossible to find award flight, I mean period. This have always been the case but is it harder than usual?
I'm a SAS Gold member and have almost 7 figure bonus points and I just want to fly somewhere - I have a flight to Kenya on Wednesday that I have re-scheduled 2 times already (perviously due to covid) but this time due to work obligations (didn't know that in 2020 when I booked)

We talk about this often in the UA forum. Availability is definitely more sparse than it used to be. You have to get lucky to find some availability to any location and then decide if you want to go there, vs. finding a location and looking for availability around the time you want to fly.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by DirektornSE

For M&M awards it’s now extremely difficult, there is not a fraction of the availability compared to pre pandemic, they can sell the seats….
Old Feb 27, 2023, 9:10 pm

Programs: united airlines
So how do people make use of miles these days if they don't want to die with 100Ks of miles in in their accounts? I can't imagine burning them for the merchandise that is offered. Does one get decent value (i.e., >1.5 cpm) using miles for hotels?

What recent successes pulling down good award travel with UA miles. Better/worse opportunities according to time of year?

Last edited by itsme; Feb 27, 2023 at 9:32 pm
Old Mar 7, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt Globolist, Marriott Pla, Hilton Diamond
It is definitely scarce than before. I can find availables seats to Oceania, South America during christmas season last two years at very resonable mileage cost. Now it all costs 100K+ one way... Need to be very patient to locate the saver seats...
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by davidcat86
It is definitely scarce than before. I can find availables seats to Oceania, South America during christmas season last two years at very resonable mileage cost. Now it all costs 100K+ one way... Need to be very patient to locate the saver seats...
Does status (1MM, Gold) make much (any?) difference in what they offer you in award travel inventory? Will MP or reservationists try to get you an award ticket on another *A carrier when your own search doesn't show any UA flights?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: UA, Hyatt Globolist, Marriott Pla, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by itsme
Does status (1MM, Gold) make much (any?) difference in what they offer you in award travel inventory? Will MP or reservationists try to get you an award ticket on another *A carrier when your own search doesn't show any UA flights?
Not sure whether higher status will make a diffience there as I don't have it ( I think it may make a difference?). I only have UA credit card so can see additional XN and IN seat. I am not specifically look for UA flights to the final destinations. But overall to compare covid era and post covid period , it is much more difficult these days to see some saver seats.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Does status (1MM, Gold) make much (any?) difference in what they offer you in award travel inventory?
UA Premiers (all status levels) have access to expanded saver economy inventory (XN). Platinum and higher have access to expanded business saver inventory (IN).
Will MP or reservationists try to get you an award ticket on another *A carrier when your own search doesn't show any UA flights?
No. What you see online is what can be booked.
Originally Posted by davidcat86
I only have UA credit card so can see additional XN and IN seat.
Credit cards do not give IN access. You can see it (as can anyone else using Expert Mode), but you can't book it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.