Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Launching Credit Card (Bloomberg)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 6:52 am
Original Poster

This could be awesome. Article is short on details so you’re not missing much beyond the headline if you’re paywalled (like who the issuer will be.) This is the only article I’ve seen so hopefully details emerge soon. They plan to launch later this year.

ETA: The board is blocking me from posting the link because of my post count, but it’s being reported on Bloomberg.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: LH SEN
Story is https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oints-all-over
Old May 12, 2022, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks supine - Flyertalk has to take steps to ensure I don’t send people into a virus-infested wasteland.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: UA
This is really interesting. Do either SkyTeam or oneworld currently have alliance wide credit cards?
Old May 18, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Will be quite interesting to see how this is implemented. If this is more akin to SPG / Marriott points that can be accumulated centrally then transferred to ANY Star Alliance airline's native program then that's a game changer. If it's just a new loyalty program and you buy tickets on this program's own award chart then it's nothing special, and I'd say would be very unlikely to be anything attractive compared to some of the best *A airlines' award charts.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Probably will be issued in a market where there is no home member carrier. Can't imagine United being too happy if it was issued in the US. My pick is probably the UK, Australia or UAE.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mcbokonon
This could be awesome. Article is short on details so you’re not missing much beyond the headline if you’re paywalled (like who the issuer will be.) This is the only article I’ve seen so hopefully details emerge soon. They plan to launch later this year.

ETA: The board is blocking me from posting the link because of my post count, but it’s being reported on Bloomberg.
Any update on the credit card? I see nothing on Star Alliance website.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Probably will be issued in a market where there is no home member carrier. Can't imagine United being too happy if it was issued in the US. My pick is probably the UK, Australia or UAE.
LH pulled their UK card some time back and it was rumoured that there was to be a new one however that is now not happening. The UK has a large and well established credit card market, probably moreso than anywhere else in Europe and it's also a much bigger market than Australia or the UAE so maybe the UK will be the home of this - if indeed it ever takes off.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Fingers crossed for Italy, although I agree the UK is far more likely.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:55 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Harper50505
LH pulled their UK card some time back and it was rumoured that there was to be a new one however that is now not happening. The UK has a large and well established credit card market, probably moreso than anywhere else in Europe and it's also a much bigger market than Australia or the UAE so maybe the UK will be the home of this - if indeed it ever takes off.
Unfortunately, over the years many travel brands have pulled their UK cards. I remember a United and an AA card. Even as more benefits are added to US cards the UK has lost hotel cards as well.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Markie
Unfortunately, over the years many travel brands have pulled their UK cards. I remember a United and an AA card. Even as more benefits are added to US cards the UK has lost hotel cards as well.
Which of course is why the market might be ripe for a new one!
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The fact that LH/M&M (with a substantial member base in the UK) is struggling to find a UK partner to launch a CC indicates the UK market is not really in a position (or rather doesn't have the margins) to support a miles based loyalty CC.

BA also withdrew from the German market when the new interchange rates for personal cards were introduced by the EU a few years ago. Barclays was unwilling to purchase avios from BAEC to issue it to customers based on spend.
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
BA also withdrew from the German market when the new interchange rates for personal cards were introduced by the EU a few years ago. Barclays was unwilling to purchase avios from BAEC to issue it to customers based on spend.
There is a very good Avios earning Barclaycard in the UK market:

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/avios
Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Sure, but not in Germany (anymore). Barclays is also LH's partner in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.