Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

United Airlines kills RTW awards for all Star Alliance

United Airlines kills RTW awards for all Star Alliance

Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sydneyslug
I certainly do understand it, you seemed to have missed the point that new J class variable pricing is often as low as I class but is not designated at I. That is fine for a US based flier, not so good for anyone using another *A points. Saver availability is negligible with variable pricing in J.

J is a revenue fare class. Are you referring to JN? And I'm afraid JN typically prices quite a bit higher than I.

Moreover, UA not releasing I is nothing new. If anything, they're making it more available now than immediately before the pandemic, when it truly was a rarity.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, Etihad Guest, Lifetime Gold Qantas
Originally Posted by Kacee
J is a revenue fare class. Are you referring to JN? And I'm afraid JN typically prices quite a bit higher than I.

Moreover, UA not releasing I is nothing new. If anything, they're making it more available now than immediately before the pandemic, when it truly was a rarity.
There are now zero I. I dont know why this concept is not clear - variable pricing where sometimes JN is as low as I would have been means there is and will be far fewer I releases. That is fine if you are a UA Miles member, but means United tin is now almost impossible if you are trying to book from a *A membership.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There are now zero I. I dont know why this concept is not clear - variable pricing where sometimes JN is as low as I would have been means there is and will be far fewer I releases. That is fine if you are a UA Miles member, but means United tin is now almost impossible if you are trying to book from a *A membership.
It's pretty clear there's no point trying to have a rational discussion about this.

And btw, I only fly UA as my third or fourth choice in airlines, and absolutely hate what they've done to MP over the past 10 years. But my criticisms are not based on a lack of understanding of how award inventory works and how the ongoing devaluation of MP is actually being effectuated. Suffice it to say that UA's relabeling of a column on the website award display has absolutely nothing to do with the availability of I inventory.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's pretty clear there's no point trying to have a rational discussion about this.

And btw, I only fly UA as my third or fourth choice in airlines, and absolutely hate what they've done to MP over the past 10 years. But my criticisms are not based on a lack of understanding of how award inventory works and how the ongoing devaluation of MP is actually being effectuated. Suffice it to say that UA's relabeling of a column on the website award display has absolutely nothing to do with the availability of I inventory.
So it becomes a matter of opinion. My opinion is that JN pricing that is occasionally as low as I means that I will be almost never made available, yes already rare now not just rare but almost extinct. You are clearly a super genius and I know I shouldnt have disagreed with you, again let me say the loser is not a UA member who can get variably priced JN, it is a *A traveller who can get nothing. Nada. Nyet.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Seems the simple solution that pretty much everyone is suggesting is using your RTW to gateway cities that you can get to on other airlines then buy your own domestic tickets out of pocket. They are dirt cheap if you plan, even paid F can be cheap on many routes. ALL domestic US carriers use dynamic award pricing and have for years now, it's well known that 'saver awards' are rare as hens teeth as a result and that's what you need for awards from other *A programs... it's not a UA problem, it's an industry problem trying to extract more of the credit card bonus miles from holders. Super high credit card sign up bonuses for many years have created this problem and it's never going away again, so just plan to buy your own domestic tickets and call it a day, or just don't visit the USA.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Seems the simple solution that pretty much everyone is suggesting is using your RTW to gateway cities that you can get to on other airlines then buy your own domestic tickets out of pocket. They are dirt cheap if you plan, even paid F can be cheap on many routes. ALL domestic US carriers use dynamic award pricing and have for years now, it's well known that 'saver awards' are rare as hens teeth as a result and that's what you need for awards from other *A programs... it's not a UA problem, it's an industry problem trying to extract more of the credit card bonus miles from holders. Super high credit card sign up bonuses for many years have created this problem and it's never going away again, so just plan to buy your own domestic tickets and call it a day, or just don't visit the USA.
As a Sydney based frequent flier I have no trouble using One World to execute RTW or indeed accessing American Airlines using Qantas points for trans continental. There are fewer and fewer reasons to direct points to *A over 1W.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
United's removal of Saver business class redemptions mean that it is no longer possible to book redemption RTW on any Star Alliance network.
SYD-YVR-LHR-SIN-SYD. No UA flights needed.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:01 pm

I am not an inventory expert so I am thankful for input from knowledgeable people like Kacee. That said times appear to be different right now. I've been considering several international trips in 2022. J award availability (at least at the saver level) has been very minimal for both *A and OW. A few award routes that I have easily booked pre-COVID are simply non-existent.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lamphs
I am not an inventory expert so I am thankful for input from knowledgeable people like Kacee. That said times appear to be different right now. I've been considering several international trips in 2022. J award availability (at least at the saver level) has been very minimal for both *A and OW. A few award routes that I have easily booked pre-COVID are simply non-existent.
Flight schedules are still nowhere near where they were pre-COVID - and with a lot of pent up demand from people who couldn't travel at all for the last two years, it's likely airlines are making less seats available for rewards AND what's available is snagged up more quickly. Comparing at this point is apples to oranges.

And UA just announced today that they're partnering with Virgin Australia, so that should alleviate some of OP's very OZ-US specific concerns as well.
lamphs likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Flight schedules are still nowhere near where they were pre-COVID - and with a lot of pent up demand from people who couldn't travel at all for the last two years, it's likely airlines are making less seats available for rewards AND what's available is snagged up more quickly. Comparing at this point is apples to oranges.

And UA just announced today that they're partnering with Virgin Australia, so that should alleviate some of OP's very OZ-US specific concerns as well.
I am not sure that is the case as VA is not *A so UA will outsource more trans pacific flights to a carrier who cannot be used for RTW.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:27 am
Original Poster

According to KrisFlyer there are zero AC I class flights from YVR to SYD at all in 2022 available to them. Haven’t checked the reverse leg.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:07 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I am not sure that is the case as VA is not *A so UA will outsource more trans pacific flights to a carrier who cannot be used for RTW.
VA dropped all long haul including transpacific during the recent bankruptcy restructuring. They will only operate a narrow body fleet. VA will codeshare on UA operated flights to the US.
sydneyslug likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.