Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance member flights

Star Alliance member flights

Old May 2, 2021, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Question Star Alliance member flights

I am trying to find a way to use miles/points for a r/t DSM - LIR trip.

I am not yet too familiar with how to use Star Alliance to book flights. My goal is to find out if I can use less miles with a Star Alliance member than I would have to use when booking with United Airlines.

Is there a quick way for me to do this or do I have to check with each Star Alliance member to see how many points/miles they need for this flight?

I don't have enough UAL miles to do this trip but I do have enough Chase Ultimate Rewards that I could transfer to an airline that could book this route for less miles.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by iowa guy

I am not yet too familiar with how to use Star Alliance to book flights. My goal is to find out if I can use less miles with a Star Alliance member than I would have to use when booking with United Airlines.

Is there a quick way for me to do this or do I have to check with each Star Alliance member to see how many points/miles they need for this flight?

I don't have enough UAL miles to do this trip but I do have enough Chase Ultimate Rewards that I could transfer to an airline that could book this route for less miles.
Lot's of ways to go about answering your question, none perfect of course.

First I think the best point to get out of the way is that there aren't Star Alliance Miles nor booking though Star Alliance. There are 26 airlines in the alliance with their own unique mileage programs, and earning / award chats. Each alliance member can in theory book seats on flights for the other alliance members, however some of those seats may be limited outside their own programs (I.E. LX F, SQ C and F, etc.). Some Star Alliance programs also have expanded award availability to only their own members, sometimes at standard rates, sometimes at higher rates (UA is a good example).

So, while in theory, other Star programs may have better redemption rates for DSM-LIR, due to Geography and only 4 Star Alliance members in the Americas region, for LIR you're mostly bound to actually flying on UA flights. UA has dynamic redemption pricing, so it means much of what you see on United.com is not actually available to other Star Alliance programs (saver level only is available to other members). I suppose you might be able to piece together something using UA to a gateway of CM and use them for the international segments, but domestic UA availability is hard to find on partner programs as well and of course CM doesn't fly to Iowa, or even Chicago if memory serves correctly. (AV, formerly TACA and LACSA pre-merger doesn't seem to fly to LIR, nor the parent airline via BOG)

With Chase Ultimate Rewards, your only Star Alliance choices are UA and SQ which are identical as far as miles required on a Saver Award. So if you already have some UA miles then you'd be best just topping up with your Chase points and using that.

Chase points can also be transferred to BA and AF, so it does give you OneWorld and SkyTeam options (pretty sure AA and DL both fly to LIR during normal schedules). This is the benefit of the credit card transferrable points like Chase, Amex, Citi, and CapOne, is that you're not tied to any alliance, especially if redeeming for business class (which should be the default in most circumstances, usually economy redemptions are a very poor value.)

Hope that helps, for Star Alliance, almost certainly UA is going to be your only option, and if not, it and SQ KrisFlyer will price the same. If it were me, I'd look at your dates and compare mileage pricing using UA MileagePlus, BA Avios, and AF Flying Blue then divide and conquer. Also what's the ticket price? Don't forget that Chase points can be used like cash in their travel portal with a 20% bonus.
Repooc17 likes this.

Last edited by dvs7310; May 2, 2021 at 10:50 am
Old May 2, 2021, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Post 2 is good

Look here---> https://www.awardhacker.com/
Does not have all airline ffps'.
Is very general. May not take into account the detailed award rules.
Joining a new ffp and immediately getting an award is an issue with some ffp's

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
What is the cash price?

Credit card transfer links

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 2, 2021 at 2:22 pm
Old May 2, 2021, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310

Hope that helps, for Star Alliance, almost certainly UA is going to be your only option, and if not, it and SQ KrisFlyer will price the same. If it were me, I'd look at your dates and compare mileage pricing using UA MileagePlus, BA Avios, and AF Flying Blue then divide and conquer. Also what's the ticket price? Don't forget that Chase points can be used like cash in their travel portal with a 20% bonus.
To say the very least, that helps a lot! I completely forgot (if I ever knew) that using the Chase portal allows a 20% bonus for the points.The ticket price is only $550 to $600 a piece but it definitely helps.
Old May 2, 2021, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me $600 for a return flight 2x 2187 miles (~5hr each way) would be better value than using ff miles plus taxes
dvs7310 likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Don't forget that Chase points can be used like cash in their travel portal with a 20% bonus.
Are all Chase Ultimate Rewards eligible for the 20%, regardless of the card they are associated with? I closed my CSR and put all my rewards in my Chase Ink Business Preferred.
Old May 5, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Are all Chase Ultimate Rewards eligible for the 20%, regardless of the card they are associated with? I closed my CSR and put all my rewards in my Chase Ink Business Preferred.
That's a good question, I'm pretty sure the Ink Business is the same as the Sapphire cards in terms of Ultimate Rewards. Just log in and check the portal, if it shows you a points total then you're good to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.