Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which business class would you choose?

Old Mar 15, 21, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Planning a trip on a saver business award.

Unfortunately, Polaris isnít coming up as an option for the dates and times and I want and on saved award.

I have a choice of Lufthansa, LOT, Turkish. Those are the three that seem to be consistently available. Occasionally air Canada and Austrian.

Iíve been reading some reviews and most seem ok but none will match the Polaris experience. I like the lounge in Istanbul but not sure if that is enough to want to go that route.

Thank you. I apologize if I wrote this post in the wrong location.

Have a great day!
Old Mar 15, 21, 4:13 pm

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL*S
Originally Posted by WhiskeyCavalier View Post
Hi,

Planning a trip on a saver business award.

Unfortunately, Polaris isnít coming up as an option for the dates and times and I want and on saved award.

I have a choice of Lufthansa, LOT, Turkish. Those are the three that seem to be consistently available. Occasionally air Canada and Austrian.

Iíve been reading some reviews and most seem ok but none will match the Polaris experience. I like the lounge in Istanbul but not sure if that is enough to want to go that route.

Thank you. I apologize if I wrote this post in the wrong location.

Have a great day!
Turkish
Old Mar 15, 21, 4:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
What is the routing?
Polaris awards a not super easy to come by which sucks.
If you are based in Europe and just want to get there quickly, I'd probably go with AC if the times aren't bad.
From Europe to the US via Turkey would just be too much of a detour for me.

Air Canada has the Signature Suite, which (when open) is at least somewhat comparable to the Polaris Lounges but cannot be access on an award ticket.
Old Mar 15, 21, 9:49 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
OS: best food and most friendly cabin staff; hard product on same level as others and VIE for a easy transit experience...
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Mar 16, 21, 1:25 am

Programs: FB Platinum, A3 Gold, BA Silver
AC < OS < TK but that is just because I want to fly AC, OS is great and I have had enough TK. These times TK should be avoided from what I heard, shameless service.
Old Mar 16, 21, 1:26 am

Route is key.

if youíre flying to VIE then OS would be my preference - etc.

none of those airlines warrant a large detour just to sit in their seat and eat their food - and certainly not transit their airport.
Old Mar 16, 21, 3:23 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by WhiskeyCavalier View Post
Hi,

I have a choice of Lufthansa, LOT, Turkish.

Iíve been reading some reviews and most seem ok but none will match the Polaris experience.

Have a great day!
You are aware Polaris went downhill with soft product even before COVID? For soft product, I think each airline really offers better experience than UA.

With hard product - it depends on your priorities.

For sleep it is LO and TK on A333/B777 - the fully flat seats are wide and comfortable.

For privacy it is TK on B787/A350 - but the coffin seats are fairly narrow.

LH is 2-2-2 config with coffin seats and very little privacy, so probably the worst of both worlds.
Old Mar 16, 21, 5:16 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You are not saying (or I missed it) whether any of those would give you a direct option, e.g. LH. I'm no big fan of LH C seat either, but direct vs. a connection could still sway me, especially these days where I don't care much about detours or additional segments so much as less exposure is more. YMMV.
​​​​
Old Mar 16, 21, 5:49 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 747jetter View Post
AC < OS < TK but that is just because I want to fly AC, OS is great and I have had enough TK. These times TK should be avoided from what I heard, shameless service.
> not < I believe
Xandrios likes this.
Old Mar 16, 21, 6:34 am

Programs: FB Platinum, A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
> not < I believe
lol what's going on with me today. This isn't first time I am total idi..today..
Old Mar 16, 21, 9:14 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Go for the routing. Not a fan of LH business class. Polaris is inconsistent. The lounges are great but I am not sure if UA has reopened the lounges.
Old May 4, 21, 9:54 am

Lounge access is not difference maker at this time. Because of limited service offerings in the lounges that are open, it doesn't really matter which *A airline you fly.
The UA Polaris lounges aren't open, and any *A business ticket gives access to the United Clubs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: