Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A will lose three members in the next 12 months -- SA, TG & AI

*A will lose three members in the next 12 months -- SA, TG & AI

Old May 12, 20, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
SQ and TG are the last major long haul airlines left in SE Asia since VN, GA and MH have downsized longhaul flying...if they go to regional only there won't be a long haul carrier for the region.
There will be plenty of long-haul carriers serving the region -- they just won't be SE Asia based. To effectively run a long-haul airline, one needs to (a) be based in a large market AND (b) have the skills, systems, and fleet to run an efficient airline. SQ lacks (a), while TG lacks (b).
Old May 12, 20, 10:04 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by wijibintheair View Post
Right about now I would probably be adding Avianca to your list of potential departures.
Why? Chapter 11 is designed so that airlines won't fail and come out the other end with less debt. Can't see that happening.
Old May 13, 20, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
Why? Chapter 11 is designed so that airlines won't fail and come out the other end with less debt. Can't see that happening.
Because while that is the aim of chapter 11 - not everyone emerges.
Old May 16, 20, 8:27 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EBGold, JX Insighter, Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
SQ and TG are the last major long haul airlines left in SE Asia since VN, GA and MH have downsized longhaul flying...if they go to regional only there won't be a long haul carrier for the region.
Don't forget PR, they fly a substantial amount of long haul routes, including flights to various cities in the USA and Canada, as well as to London and the Middle East.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 20, 8:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I agree with the others on TG, the Thai Government will not allow Thai Airways to fail. Anyhow, they still remain as an instrument of pride for Thailand, which explains they're wide variation of planes (A330s, A350s, A380s, 772s, 77Es, 773s, 77Ws, 788s, 789s). Add the fact that they don't operate narrow body jets a la SQ...

It's a political popularity contest.
Old May 30, 20, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Looks like Lufthansa won't make this list. Seems like an agreement has been reached where Lufthansa will get $11B in aid. The government will become a 20% owner in LH and they'll have to give up 48 takeoff and landing slots across FRA (24 slots) and MUC (24 slots) to a new competitor. I wonder who will get the slots and if it'll lower the absurdly high legalized collusion fares UA/LH charge into and out of Germany.
Old Jun 2, 20, 3:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
No chance for those slots to go to any longhaul operator... this will go to regional operators like Ryanair.
Old Jun 2, 20, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly View Post
Looks like Lufthansa won't make this list. Seems like an agreement has been reached where Lufthansa will get $11B in aid. The government will become a 20% owner in LH and they'll have to give up 48 takeoff and landing slots across FRA (24 slots) and MUC (24 slots) to a new competitor. I wonder who will get the slots and if it'll lower the absurdly high legalized collusion fares UA/LH charge into and out of Germany.
Is flying AA to the US that much cheaper than UA? I did not know this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 3:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
No chance for those slots to go to any longhaul operator... this will go to regional operators like Ryanair.
I'm not sure that FR will find the cost structure of FRA and MUC that appealing, but I could be wrong.
Old Jun 2, 20, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
The slots have to go to a new entrant which exclude Easyjet and Ryanair.

Wizz Air perhaps?
Old Jun 3, 20, 2:36 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf View Post
The slots have to go to a new entrant which exclude Easyjet and Ryanair.
Easyjet would be excluded because they have received government aid.

Ryanair would be initially excluded as they already operate at FRA but they'd be back in the game if no one else takes them all up.
Old Jun 3, 20, 5:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
Ryanair got around such restrictions after the AB bk by just encouraging a local operator to take the slots and then align with Ryanair later. Laudamotion started in Vienna and Munich with ex AB aircraft and was assigned all the slots it wanted.
Old Jul 24, 20, 6:23 am

Programs: A3 Gold, ex-Aeroplan Elite; Hertz #1 club
Originally Posted by clubeurope View Post
Don't forget PR, they fly a substantial amount of long haul routes, including flights to various cities in the USA and Canada, as well as to London and the Middle East.
As this is a *A forum, I suspect you mean BR (Eva) not PR (Phillipines)
Old Jul 24, 20, 11:09 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by donard View Post
As this is a *A forum, I suspect you mean BR (Eva) not PR (Phillipines)
Mate, if you cared to see what I was replying to, you will understand the context of my reply. I referred to PR, Philippine Airlines, of which I am fully aware of is not part of Star Alliance.

Since I was replying to a post about SEA carriers flying long haul, along with SQ, and TG, I was pointing out that PR is also one of the last remaining major long-haul carriers in South East Asia.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by clubeurope; Jul 25, 20 at 12:41 pm
Old Jul 25, 20, 3:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Ryanair got around such restrictions after the AB bk by just encouraging a local operator to take the slots and then align with Ryanair later. Laudamotion started in Vienna and Munich with ex AB aircraft and was assigned all the slots it wanted.
I mean then couldn't Lufthansa take the slots back by having their new subsidiary "Ocean" apply for them?

Search this Thread