Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A will lose three members in the next 12 months -- SA, TG & AI

*A will lose three members in the next 12 months -- SA, TG & AI

Old May 12, 2020, 5:27 pm
  #31  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,250
Originally Posted by 1353513636
SQ and TG are the last major long haul airlines left in SE Asia since VN, GA and MH have downsized longhaul flying...if they go to regional only there won't be a long haul carrier for the region.
There will be plenty of long-haul carriers serving the region -- they just won't be SE Asia based. To effectively run a long-haul airline, one needs to (a) be based in a large market AND (b) have the skills, systems, and fleet to run an efficient airline. SQ lacks (a), while TG lacks (b).
spartacusmcfly is offline  
Old May 12, 2020, 10:04 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Posts: 3,542
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Right about now I would probably be adding Avianca to your list of potential departures.
Why? Chapter 11 is designed so that airlines won't fail and come out the other end with less debt. Can't see that happening.
Xiaotung is online now  
Old May 13, 2020, 6:52 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bath, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 1,000
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Why? Chapter 11 is designed so that airlines won't fail and come out the other end with less debt. Can't see that happening.
Because while that is the aim of chapter 11 - not everyone emerges.
wijibintheair is offline  
Old May 16, 2020, 8:27 am
  #34  
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: CGK
Posts: 2,372
Originally Posted by 1353513636
SQ and TG are the last major long haul airlines left in SE Asia since VN, GA and MH have downsized longhaul flying...if they go to regional only there won't be a long haul carrier for the region.
Don't forget PR, they fly a substantial amount of long haul routes, including flights to various cities in the USA and Canada, as well as to London and the Middle East.
SPN Lifer likes this.
clubeurope is offline  
Old May 16, 2020, 8:31 am
  #35  
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: CGK
Posts: 2,372
I agree with the others on TG, the Thai Government will not allow Thai Airways to fail. Anyhow, they still remain as an instrument of pride for Thailand, which explains they're wide variation of planes (A330s, A350s, A380s, 772s, 77Es, 773s, 77Ws, 788s, 789s). Add the fact that they don't operate narrow body jets a la SQ...

It's a political popularity contest.
clubeurope is offline  
Old May 30, 2020, 8:52 pm
  #36  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,250
Looks like Lufthansa won't make this list. Seems like an agreement has been reached where Lufthansa will get $11B in aid. The government will become a 20% owner in LH and they'll have to give up 48 takeoff and landing slots across FRA (24 slots) and MUC (24 slots) to a new competitor. I wonder who will get the slots and if it'll lower the absurdly high legalized collusion fares UA/LH charge into and out of Germany.
spartacusmcfly is offline  
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:22 am
  #37  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 47,818
No chance for those slots to go to any longhaul operator... this will go to regional operators like Ryanair.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:35 am
  #38  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada, USA, Europe
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 31,452
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Looks like Lufthansa won't make this list. Seems like an agreement has been reached where Lufthansa will get $11B in aid. The government will become a 20% owner in LH and they'll have to give up 48 takeoff and landing slots across FRA (24 slots) and MUC (24 slots) to a new competitor. I wonder who will get the slots and if it'll lower the absurdly high legalized collusion fares UA/LH charge into and out of Germany.
Is flying AA to the US that much cheaper than UA? I did not know this.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:37 am
  #39  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada, USA, Europe
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 31,452
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No chance for those slots to go to any longhaul operator... this will go to regional operators like Ryanair.
I'm not sure that FR will find the cost structure of FRA and MUC that appealing, but I could be wrong.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jun 2, 2020, 6:50 am
  #40  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Programs: *A G, OW S.
Posts: 996
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No chance for those slots to go to any longhaul operator... this will go to regional operators like Ryanair.
The slots have to go to a new entrant which exclude Easyjet and Ryanair.

Wizz Air perhaps?
Dover2Golf is offline  
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:36 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: FRA
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 1,415
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
The slots have to go to a new entrant which exclude Easyjet and Ryanair.
Easyjet would be excluded because they have received government aid.

Ryanair would be initially excluded as they already operate at FRA but they'd be back in the game if no one else takes them all up.
supine is offline  
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:41 am
  #42  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 47,818
Ryanair got around such restrictions after the AB bk by just encouraging a local operator to take the slots and then align with Ryanair later. Laudamotion started in Vienna and Munich with ex AB aircraft and was assigned all the slots it wanted.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:23 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London (England) mostly
Programs: A3 Gold, ex-Aeroplan Elite; Hertz #1 club
Posts: 192
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Don't forget PR, they fly a substantial amount of long haul routes, including flights to various cities in the USA and Canada, as well as to London and the Middle East.
As this is a *A forum, I suspect you mean BR (Eva) not PR (Phillipines)
donard is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:09 pm
  #44  
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: CGK
Posts: 2,372
Originally Posted by donard
As this is a *A forum, I suspect you mean BR (Eva) not PR (Phillipines)
Mate, if you cared to see what I was replying to, you will understand the context of my reply. I referred to PR, Philippine Airlines, of which I am fully aware of is not part of Star Alliance.

Since I was replying to a post about SEA carriers flying long haul, along with SQ, and TG, I was pointing out that PR is also one of the last remaining major long-haul carriers in South East Asia.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by clubeurope; Jul 25, 2020 at 12:41 pm
clubeurope is offline  
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:29 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,230
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ryanair got around such restrictions after the AB bk by just encouraging a local operator to take the slots and then align with Ryanair later. Laudamotion started in Vienna and Munich with ex AB aircraft and was assigned all the slots it wanted.
I mean then couldn't Lufthansa take the slots back by having their new subsidiary "Ocean" apply for them?
1353513636 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.