Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

"Hidden benefits" for star alliance diamonds?

Old Feb 9, 20, 10:52 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Maybe a stupid question, but you seem to know everything so I give it a try:

My husband (Star alliance diamond), myself (gold) plus son is travelling together with SAS from Oslo, via Stockholm to Miami in business class (reward tickets). We have a tight connection in Stockholm before flying onwards to Miami. If there is a delay, would there be a higher possibility that our connecting flight would wait for us given that we are diamond/gold holders? Or is the fact that three business class passengers have to be on the connection flight a reason for the connecting flight to wait?

Last edited by Musken; Feb 9, 20 at 11:36 am
Old Feb 9, 20, 2:02 pm

theres no such thing as a star alliance diamond. only star alliance silver or gold
star alliance briefly talked about adding another level above gold, but it did not pan out

your individual airline may offer more than 2 levels (top 2 gives you star alliance gold, bottom silver)

as per your question - it really depends on the airline.
airline may not wait for various reasons (eg later departure means losing slots, arrival airport closed, crew times out, gate is needed for next flight)
or airline may wait for various reasons (can take delay since airstream is good and provide early arrival, want to wait for business class passenger)

do note that you are flying premium (and have *G), star alliance mandates some sort of irrops handling (hotel, meals, rebooking) for premium/*G on int'l flight

Reference Guide - Airports Information - Irregular Operations Handling
Old Feb 9, 20, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To break this down and accepting that whatever it is that your husband thinks he is, he isn't "Diamond"

1. Whether the flight is held and for how long is very unlikely to depend on the status of three customers who can likely be easily rebooked to a common destination such as MIA. The decisions are based on all sorts of factors which operate in the background and most prominently include whether delaying the aircraft will significantly delay a new slot for the TATL portion of the flight. That could be a 5-minute or a 45-minute hold and the difference will matter. Not worth even trying to predict or ask (as staff routinely tell you not to worry so that you leave them alone).

2. If you misconnect, having nothing to do with *G status, SK's obligations under the "duty of care" provisions of EC 261/2004 will require it to either provide for or reimburse hotel and necessary meals, all appropriate to the length and timing of the delay.

As a practical matter, if you have a short connection you should do the research now to find good alternatives. You are much more likely to get what you ask for by proposing specific flight numbers than asking what is available. Don't forget *A connections which are available ARN-XXX-MIA where "XXX" could be a *A gateway on either side of the Atlantic such as FRA, ZRH, LHR or EWR, JFK across the pond.
Old Feb 9, 20, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
The answer to all your questions is ‘no’. They won’t wait for you, or any other individual card holder, and there is no such thing as Star Alliance diamond.
Old Feb 10, 20, 12:23 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks for your answers. I realise i should have asked in the sas eurobonus forum as the mentioned diamond status and airline is Sas, but I believe my question has been answered anyway and I understand that waiting for passengers with a late incoming plane is not related to their status in any case.
Old Feb 10, 20, 3:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SAS does take good care of their EB diamonds (and whoever is travelling with them) and will have an eye on connecting pax, especially if there is no viable alternative for that day and a slight delay will not cause any trouble for the flight (MIA is usually a destination where people will terminate and not connect).
Old Feb 10, 20, 4:00 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
SAS does take good care of their EB diamonds (and whoever is travelling with them) and will have an eye on connecting pax, especially if there is no viable alternative for that day and a slight delay will not cause any trouble for the flight (MIA is usually a destination where people will terminate and not connect).
Thanks. Sounds good. There is only one direct flight that day, so fingers crossed.
Old Feb 10, 20, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think a few things should be cleared up:

1. Are you on a single ticket OLS-ARN-MIA, or did you construct this yourself.

2. What exactly is your connection time? Does it meet MCT (assuming single ticket)?

3. My personal opinion (but not a frequent SK flyer) is that there is no way a long haul flight will be held up for a few connecting passengers more than say 10 minutes. If your inbound flight from OSL is an hour later (weather, for example), expect to spend a night at ARN and travel the next day.
Old Feb 10, 20, 4:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The MIA flight rotates thru the three SAS hubs, on some days it departs from ARN. The connection is 55 min if you are coming from OSL. An example:

55 min in ARN is easy.
Old Feb 10, 20, 4:32 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I think a few things should be cleared up:

1. Are you on a single ticket OLS-ARN-MIA, or did you construct this yourself.

2. What exactly is your connection time? Does it meet MCT (assuming single ticket)?

3. My personal opinion (but not a frequent SK flyer) is that there is no way a long haul flight will be held up for a few connecting passengers more than say 10 minutes. If your inbound flight from OSL is an hour later (weather, for example), expect to spend a night at ARN and travel the next day.
Yes, it is a single ticket booked through the SAS site using miles (reward ticket). Connection time is 55 minutes. There is no earlier flight from OSL to ARN that day the connection should normally be fine. However, given that it is winter, I am worrying about weather related delays. Having looked at the weather forecast, I see it might snow that morning. And yes, I am a worrier, ;-) Would have gladly taken an earlier flight if there was one.

There are other connections (i.e. not direct) that day, so I would assume and hope that they would rebook us to one of those instead of us having to spend the day and night in Stockholm to travel next morning.
Old Feb 10, 20, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Musken View Post
Yes, it is a single ticket booked through the SAS site using miles (reward ticket). Connection time is 55 minutes. There is no earlier flight from OSL to ARN that day the connection should normally be fine. However, given that it is winter, I am worrying about weather related delays. Having looked at the weather forecast, I see it might snow that morning. And yes, I am a worrier, ;-) Would have gladly taken an earlier flight if there was one.

There are other connections (i.e. not direct) that day, so I would assume and hope that they would rebook us to one of those instead of us having to spend the day and night in Stockholm to travel next morning.
I wish you good luck, although I wouldn’t expect SK to purchase revenue tickets on another airline if you misconnect. Maybe explore options ahead of time to see what is realistic on the day.
lhrpete and Musken like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: