Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice on UA/CA miscommunication

Seeking advice on UA/CA miscommunication

Old Feb 3, 20, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond
Angry Seeking advice on UA/CA miscommunication

All,
I recently traveled to US-Australia on CA (metal and ticket stock outbound in December under old UA FF# rules and return in January under new ones). My itinerary clearly shows I requested UA FF credit. When my wife and I returned, all of the miles credited appropriately to her account. My return miles, however, were nowhere to be seen. After a few weeks, I contacted UA, who reached out to Air China who said that my miles had been desposited into a CA FF account (and provided a number which I'd never seen before). They denied United's request to cancel the transaction and recredit the miles to my United account. I wrote separately to CA seeking clarification; in the one response I received, they reiterated that once deposited into a CA FF account, they could not do anything with them.
The rub is that I was counting on those miles for UA requalification under the new rules and, on top of it, I've never had a CA FF account nor did I ask them to create one for me. At this point, United says they can do nothing. Air China has not responsed to additional (very polite) emails on the matter. I know a lot is going on there so I'm not in a particular hurry, but would like to get it resolved. I've emailed both the VIP (citing my UA Gold and *A Gold status) and "regular" FF program emails. When I've called the US-based phone number, they refer me to the email.

Has anyone had any luck using social media or other channels to get CA to respond? I'd welcome recommendations. I have little if any likelihood of using a pot of 15-20k miles sitting in a CA account that (to the best I can tell) isn't even mine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: