FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   PEK lounge access arriving on TG departing on CA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/2005832-pek-lounge-access-arriving-tg-departing-ca.html)

LowLevelElite Jan 23, 2020 9:22 am

PEK lounge access arriving on TG departing on CA

I have a huge 11 hr layover in PEK arriving at 5:30 am on TG from BKK and departing on CA to TSE at 16:30 on I (biz award via united). have a US passport so was thinking of exploring the city a little *after showering and freshening up if possible* using either the 24 hr transit visa allowance or the 72 hr visa-free entry

1) I'm aware CA has either an "arrivals" lounge or a "transit" lounge after clearing customs... are TG-arriving passengers in biz allowed to use it or not? old thread but not sure what the current status is for access via star alliance... what seems to be the official page (not sure if this is arrivals lounge or an airside one) doesn't clarify either so I'm confused and thought I'd ask if anyone knows the actual policy

2) if transit lounge access isn't there for star alliance partners, how difficult would it be to stay airside / not "arrive", go to one of the regular lounges, and after an hour or so request to be allowed to "arrive" and go to the city? would immigration officials give a super hard time or it's relatively straightforward?

3) how long before departing flight should I be back, 2 hours?

oliver2002 Jan 23, 2020 1:31 pm

1. You can't use the CA arrival lounge, but there is a pay to use arrival lounge in T3.
2. You can't leave the international concourse once you are in it.
3. Yes.

usbusinesstraveller Jan 25, 2020 9:22 pm

Unless it’s moved or has been dramatically enhanced the CA lounge in the departure hall at PEK is very poor, IMO one of the worst Star lounges by a host airline in the network. So with that long a layover I’d go land side and either get a pay lounge or day room, or visit the city

(though note with the current Coronavirus situation watch the news and be careful).

My last PEK visit was late 2015, so the CA lounge situation may have changed. At PVG they moved to a new lounge that was much better, so it’s possible. So there’s hope, but I haven’t heard anything.

sydunipete Jan 27, 2020 3:31 am

I've had a long layover in PEK many times.

The CA Arrivals Lounge is on the far right hand side of the luggage carousels. Unfortunately, in your situation it is for those arriving on CA only. (Last time I checked.) The lounge area is very basic with just some snacks and simple drinks and not much bigger than your own lounge room at home. But it does have showers. They also have some luggage lockers and they will store your hand luggage while you go into town - but be careful - it is a really complex process to get back to the arrivals lounge from landside. Perhaps there's an easier way but I had to catch the terminal train to the satellite terminal, stay on even after the guard cleared the carriage, then caught the train back to the landside section, walked past the luggage carousels then got my hand luggage before repeating the process to head back to the satellite terminal.

For your Option 2 - I haven't tried but I'd be surprised if it worked.

Option 3 - yes, 2 hours is about right.

My suggestion would be just go landside, enjoy Beijing, then grab your shower when you return to the airport.

FYI Both the Business Class Lounge and First Class Lounge are the same. I got in to the first class lounge with my business class boarding pass. I've heard my *A Gold card helped but I can't be sure. The first class lounge just seem a little less busy..