FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   YYC - DOH - ways to get *A credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/2005545-yyc-doh-ways-get-credit.html)

luckylager Jan 21, 2020 4:44 pm

YYC - DOH - ways to get *A credit

I am going to be making regular trips to Qatar this year but my issue is that no *A carrier services the country. I can book a codeshare ticket from YYC-FRA-DOH but the FRA-DOH segment is on Qatar Airways, which is a One World member.

So my question is: if there isn't any way to collect my *A miles/segment on the FRA-DOH flight, is there some magical way to get credit to *A on YYC-FRA and then on One World from FRA-DOH? Buying 2 separate tickets is too expensive, so I think I'm out of luck but wanted to check with the experts.

ElJudioErrante Jan 21, 2020 5:39 pm

TK fly from YYZ IST DOH if its any help

Mwenenzi Jan 21, 2020 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by luckylager (Post 31979035)
I am going to be making regular trips to Qatar this year but my issue is that no *A carrier services the country. I can book a codeshare ticket from YYC-FRA-DOH but the FRA-DOH segment is on Qatar Airways, which is a One World member.

So my question is: if there isn't any way to collect my *A miles/segment on the FRA-DOH flight, is there some magical way to get credit to *A on YYC-FRA and then on One World from FRA-DOH? Buying 2 separate tickets is too expensive, so I think I'm out of luck but wanted to check with the experts.

So YYC-FRA (AC marketed AC operated) and FRA-DOH (AC marketed QR operated)

With Star Alliance ff earning is based on operating carrier and eligible marketing carrier
With Oneworld Alliance ff earning is based on marketing carrier and eligible operating carrier.
Codeshares can be problematic. :( Eligible is usually an alliance airline. Some times ffp have a specific rule for out of alliance codeshares as to what is "eligible". Can be route specific, like CX and NZ for HKG-AKL

You generally can have 2 ffn's (1 for each segment) in one reservation. But can be hit & miss as if flights credit where you want them. Having no ffn in the reservation and then retro claim should work

Aisleseater Jan 22, 2020 3:02 am

As ElJudioErrante noted above TK fly into Doha (which I've done and its a good connection, and you get to experience the amazing and huge TK lounge in IST - mix and brew your own tea selection, play slot cars, relax in the movie room etc!.). Another Star Alliance airline flying to Doha is Ethiopian Airlines (have seen their flights on the departures/arrivals boards in Doha), as well as Air India (to/from Delhi), although both those wouldn't be ideal given long layovers/flight times if you're flying from Canada.

rankourabu Jan 22, 2020 7:06 am

Definitely TK. YYC-YUL/YYZ/ORD/-IST-DOH. Superior economy and business class to Air Canada

If you fly AC to FRA and onwards on QR - you can definitely credit the QR segment to a oneworld program of your choice, just give QR your number, or do it retroactively. Careful though, once you fly QR J - you will never want to set foot on an Air Canada plane again.....

The YYC-FRA flight has a 61% on time performance rating, so I'd leave plenty of time trying to connect to QR if you go that route

Dover2Golf Jan 22, 2020 7:12 am

I would also suggest TK if earning is important to you, much better than Lufthansa on long haul, a much better connection experience than FRA at IST but service is not as good as Qatar.

yurtripper Jan 23, 2020 4:03 pm

https://www.flightconnections.com/flights-from-doha-doh

Click the Alliances drop down to filter for Star Alliance and you will see TK and ET, as others have noted.