How to get to *Gold?

Old Jan 18, 20, 7:52 am
Original Poster

How to get to *Gold?

I'm about to sharply increase my intercontinental travel within the next 6 months [US-Europe (6-7x); US-Asia (1-2x); US-South America (2x)]. All the flights will be in economy.
I'm currently FTL on Lufthansa's Miles & More program, but reassessing whether another FF program (i.e. Aegean) could get me to *Gold. My first trip is next month, so I want to credit miles wisely.
Two questions:
1) Based on this travel pattern, does it make sense to stick with M&M or to switch programs? Do FF programs status match at the *Silver level?
2)Do I have access to *Alliance business lounges outside Europe with my current *Silver status?
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:17 am

1 - You might find this informative: https://travel-dealz.eu/blog/star-alliance-gold/
2 - You can look this up yourself at: https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder
Old Jan 19, 20, 11:49 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold
Among many other relevant factors, it depends on where you are based and which type of economy fare you book.
Old Jan 20, 20, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
The actual booking class is really important in your situation. You may find that A3 or OZ don't credit very well if you're forced to fly on the cheapest economy fares (for example L, T, K, G fares on UA), however if you're flying middle of the road fares like V or Q then you'll get solid credit almost anywhere.

wheretocredit.com is a good starting point. Typically the easiest programs to get *G are A3, OZ, and SK but it's not set in stone and depends on the actual fares you'd be booking.
Tokyoite and Btmline1 like this.
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
(for example L, T, K, G fares on UA)
You mean on LH?
Old Jan 27, 20, 2:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Geese Howard View Post
You mean on LH?
No I meant UA. Since the OP is shopping programs and is taking several trips from the US, then it's quite possible they would be flying UA.

If credited to OZ, then S, T, L, K, G, N are only 50% credit for example and if crediting to A3 then W, S, T, L, K, G, N are all only 50% credit. On OZ Q, V, and W are only 75% credit and A3 V is 75% credit. Certainly relevant factors if the OP wants *G on one of the 'easy' programs since, for example, 40k miles flown credited to OZ is unlikely to be 40k credited if they are buying discount economy fares on UA (or any other *A carrier for that matter). SK is quite similar as well. TK credits a lot more UA fares at 75% than the others, so could be more attractive.

The OP has close to 100k miles (BIS) scheduled, so where they credit these flights is quite important and what fares are being booked is key as is the airline flown. Would sure be a shame to credit them all to A3 only to find out they were all 50% fares and A3 requires more than 50k for first time Gold qualification (assuming no A3 flights).
Old Jan 29, 20, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
The actual booking class is really important in your situation. You may find that A3 or OZ don't credit very well if you're forced to fly on the cheapest economy fares (for example L, T, K, G fares on UA), however if you're flying middle of the road fares like V or Q then you'll get solid credit almost anywhere.

wheretocredit.com is a good starting point. Typically the easiest programs to get *G are A3, OZ, and SK but it's not set in stone and depends on the actual fares you'd be booking.
Don't forget TK...

Even the cheapest UA fares earn at least 50%. You do have to resign yourself to only spending those redeemable miles on TK metal with surcharges...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: