Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Star Alliance Status

This may have been posted before and if so please excuse me.
Apart from priority check in, lounge access and priority boarding, does *G status give you anything else?
I know that some airlines do serve their own G status meals before other economy passengers but as far as I know it's only their own G members and not *G members.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

General benefit of Star Gold---> https://www.staralliance.com/en/recognition
May need to click a few clicks to show gold benefits down he bottom on the page (using a laptop)

Gold
Priority Airport Check-in
Avoid the queues at check-in by going to the Priority counters, where available. Just look for the Star Alliance Gold sign.

Priority Baggage Handling
Your bags are among the first on the belt, so you can move on quickly.

Airport Lounge Access
Escape the crowds in over 1,000 lounges world-wide when you fly on a member airline flight.

Priority Boarding
Board at your convenience with First Class and Business Class passengers where this is offered at the gate.

Extra Baggage Allowance
You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.

Gold Track
Move more smoothly through airport security and Immigration by utilising exclusive Gold Track priority lanes.

Have a look at our Gold Track locations .

Priority Reservations Waitlist
If at the time of reservation, seats in your desired class of service are not available, your status gives you higher priority on the waitlist when a reservation is possible, except when you are travelling on an award ticket.

Please note that Priority Reservations Waitlist is subject to individual member carrier’s policy and legal regulations.

Priority Airport Stand-by
If your travel plans change and flights are full, your status gives you higher priority on the standby list for your preferred flight, except when you are travelling on an award ticket.

Please note that Priority Airport Standby is subject to individual member carrier’s fare conditions and legal regulations.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:20 pm

Supposedly better irrops handling even if uncontrollable (weather), for medium/long haul intl journeys

Though good luck finding an agent that knows/honors the *A guidelines, or pay out of pocket and try to request reimbursement by quoting the guidelines

Reference Guide - Airports Information - Irregular Operations Handling
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the information. It looked to me that Thai only follows certain procedures only in the seating issue.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:19 pm

If TG does anything in terms of "preferred seating" for ANY Golds (just its own, or all *G) that is entirely distinct from the published *A benefits...which have never included any preferred/better seating.....
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:33 pm

This is a major devaluation, instead of a free checked bag for star alliance gold, you now get a free "extra" bag, ie pay for one and get two... not much good if you only have one bag to check.
dav662 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dts9
This is a major devaluation, instead of a free checked bag for star alliance gold, you now get a free "extra" bag, ie pay for one and get two... not much good if you only have one bag to check.
To me it has not changed.
Some airlines use a piece system and some a weight system. Been that way for a long time (for ever)

From Star web site

Extra Baggage Allowance
You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.
The new "basic economy fares" or "seat only" by some airlines are different. And been that what since they were introduced.
Nothing x something = nothing. Multiplication and not addition
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
To me it has not changed.
Some airlines use a piece system and some a weight system. Been that way for a long time (for ever)

From Star web site

The new "basic economy fares" or "seat only" by some airlines are different. And been that what since they were introduced.
Nothing x something = nothing. Multiplication and not addition
Originally Posted by dts9
no @Mwenenzi, some *alliance airlines allow zero bag allowance on light intra-Europe fares even for *G (piece concept)

see New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know what Air Canada does? Is it the first bag free or the second bag free?
Thank you.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dav662
Does anyone know what Air Canada does? Is it the first bag free or the second bag free?
Thank you.
I think it's first bag free. I've occasionally used my TK status with no problems on Canada - US flights on AC however I am far from an expert on all of the weird AC fares.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Yes I was able to check my bag through on AC this morning on the self baggage machine. So it looks like AC is first bag free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.