Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

LHR/BKK: maximize points/reaching status asap

Old Aug 31, 19, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hi,

I am currently flying regularly LHR/BKK Qatar Airways via Doha on business class, which turns out to be the best route for me (mostly because of quality delivered by qatar in business class).

I am planning to switch to star alliance as soon as I reach gold in my BA exec scheme.

I am not so familiar with Star Alliance: what would be good routes to take in order to maximize my point/status collection (max one stopover)?

Thanks in advance!

Peter.
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver - renewed on only two sectors and no other OW flying, is BA desperate?.
Generally *A programmes operate on a mileage basis rather than sectors and points like BA do where QR LHR-DOH-BKK makes earning silver easy. The result is that it's the earning on the fare that matters more than sectors. Some airlines offer better multiples in business than others and some offer nothing at all on their reduced business fares - watch out on that one for Lufthansa unless you are looking at M&M which grows ever more mean. Look at wheretocredit.com for some of the best advice.

Generally one of the most generous airlines is TG so easy for BKK where you earn 200% on most fares in business. Compare that to BR and you earn 125% - though BR offers a service which is at least as good if not better than QR.

Which programme are you looking at? It's easier to be specific if we know a bit more.
Old Aug 31, 19, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your message.

Let me clarify/check on my understanding:

- There is no advantage in taking stopovers when flying *A ? Its rather based on mileage and depending on the airlinen??

- E.g. taking a direct flight Lon/bkk with thai vs a potential stopover would not make any difference, just depending on the programme I credit to?

I am with M&M
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
M&M is one of the more difficult *A programs to earn any meaningful status on. What is your goal at the end of the day? Status? Low priced mileage redemption? Something else? Also how many trips will you be taking on *A in the year?

Typically on here people will recommend OZ, TK, and A3 the most for easy status, but they may not be ideal for you depending on your goals or travel pattern.

You are correct, there is no advantage to a stopover on *A, except for the point that it will often get you extra miles since usually the stopover point isn't on the most direct route to the destination. For example ET sells business class tickets Europe to SE Asia (pretty sure they still do, been a while since I've checked), and that stopover in ADD will get you quite a few extra miles. However ET P fares are useless for the most part for mileage earning and is what they sell most of their lower business class fares on.

Ideally you'll want to find a program and an airline to fly on that credits business fares at 200%. They don't need to be the same program and airline. As suggested above wheretocredit.com is a great place to start, but if you narrow down your goals a little bit, I'm sure we can also help you get on the right path. M&M is most likely not going to be anyone's suggestion.
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:06 am
Original Poster

travel patterns:

my job requires a lot of travelling (read weekly); being based london, I naturally opted for BA as main carrier; my flight destinations do differ: its been wider europe in last 12 months and will be south east asia for the next 6-12 months;

what I am trying to achieve:
- shortly after reaching gold on BA, I am planning to build my status (ideally senator) on MM (so that I have more options with using both, e.g. when *A offers better connectivity)

I am not sure why you say MM is difficult: just checked on wheretocredit.com and most of flights (thai air, swiss, lufthansa) from LHR to BKK are @200% when crediting to MM? on the MM miles calculator I found that the LHR/BKK on business yields about 10000 miles (status and bonus miles); does the 200% mean I am getting about 20000 credited when flying one-way?

which stopovers would you recommend(improving status/miles yield), if at all, when taking lhr/bkk?

many thanks
P
Old Sep 1, 19, 4:25 am

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver - renewed on only two sectors and no other OW flying, is BA desperate?.
The mileage from LHR-BKK is 5958 so at 200% you will get 11916 in each direction. The most generous offer you will get easily is 200% on TG on the direct routing. Meanwhile on the same route BR will give you 7447 in each direction. If you use LH group in C or D you will get 200% of status miles but the award miles will depend on the price of the ticket with LH group carriers. In Z & P you will earn less, usually 100% in P and 125% in Z. The M&M website will give you exact info but I think four miles per Euro is the rate. P fares are the default very often for LH particularly on short haul where they can be very expensive and earn little or nothing on A3 and TK.

Alternatively if you were to choose TK and book in C or D the total mileage would rise to 6222 so at 200% you would get 12444 each way however TK more usually offers J or K which only offers 150% so you would earn 9333 each way.

*A is a lot more complicated than OW for status but I agree with the post above, LH is one of the most difficult places to earn status. If you're going to fly LH often have a look at SAS Eurobonus instead. It still earns well and only needs half the number of miles to get gold.
Dover2Golf and yurtripper like this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
M&M is not a particularly good choice, unless you specifically want to travel a lot on LH metal and use specific lounges in Germany.

I would status match your BA Gold to Turkish Miles & Smiles. There's a thread on the TK board.

But 25k miles every second year keeps your *A Gold for another two years.

Aegean is also fairly reasonable for status, although you need some Aegean metal flights.
Old Sep 1, 19, 10:29 am

M+M is a bit more difficult as others, but gives you 3 x (or 3.25 x status) miles on paid F and 2 (2.25) x on the more expensive business class tickets.
But when you reach SEN you have much better award availability (SEN wait list etc), companion award (50% discount for second person) etc.

You would need 5 RTs inside one year on the more expensive business class fares to reach SEN, the status is valid for two years.
Using a non-LH group ticket gives you distance based award miles.

In case you also need to go to the americas you could look at the star RTW offerings.

Personally I would prefer a non stop flight any time over a stop somewhere. And with Thai and Eva you have to option between LHR and BKK. Eva has good seats, on Thai it depends on the aircraft.
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by milesfreak321 View Post
travel patterns:

my job requires a lot of travelling (read weekly); being based london, I naturally opted for BA as main carrier; my flight destinations do differ: its been wider europe in last 12 months and will be south east asia for the next 6-12 months;

- shortly after reaching gold on BA, I am planning to build my status (ideally senator) on MM (so that I have more options with using both, e.g. when *A offers better connectivity)

I am not sure why you say MM is difficult: just checked on wheretocredit.com and most of flights (thai air, swiss, lufthansa) from LHR to BKK are @200% when crediting to MM? on the MM miles calculator I found that the LHR/BKK on business yields about 10000 miles (status and bonus miles); does the 200% mean I am getting about 20000 credited when flying one-way?

which stopovers would you recommend(improving status/miles yield), if at all, when taking lhr/bkk?

many thanks
P
I guess M&M being difficult really depends on how much you can credit still this year and what fare classes you end up buying. M&M goes by calendar year for qualification, so you'll have to accrue 100k miles with them in 4 months time. If you fly any LH group flights then you need to avoid P fares as they only credit at 100% also avoiding Z fares since they are only 150% accrual. You are safer on TH or BR as all of their paid business fares will credit to M&M at 200% and both offer a non-stop flight to BKK.

For stopovers, none of the European carriers are going to offer substantial additional miles as all of them are fairly close to the normal great circle line from LHR-BKK anyway. TK would be your best bet in terms of a European carrier, but there too you have to avoid lower fares (K and J) or you won't get full credit in M&M. Airlines that would get you some significant extra miles (avoiding the lower fare classes that don't earn 200% of course), NH, OZ, and CA (though I can't really recommend the latter one), and to a lesser degree SQ.

If you won't make the full 100k miles on M&M before Dec 31st, then I'd scrap that whole idea altogether and look at SK, A3, TK, and OZ as your program of choice, as at their first Star Gold level they will provide the vast majority of the same benefits of M&M Senator as well and are far easier to get to. Anything lower than Senator on M&M is pretty useless for *A travel and unfortunately *A does not have any across the board access to F lounges for high level elites like OW does. In M&M you'd have to make HON Circle to get that access on LH group flights, but not *A wide.
Old Sep 2, 19, 2:34 am

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by milesfreak321 View Post
travel patterns:
many thanks. P
Like someone else said, M&M is a calendar based program, so reaching *A G may not work for the remainder of this year. So, try one of the easier, i.e. lower threhold and maybe a 12-month from sign up programs. TK looks easy with their current status match offer, and you do need to fly TK (so you'll connect in IST probably,) but can get and keep Gold for longer if you do just 25k on TK. OZ is the other "easy" one, but they seem to be having some financial issues so while you only need 40k on any *A carrier to get Gold for up to 4 years, there is a risk.

Of course, why not just enjoy your BA status? You earned it and can make the most out of it and fly One World: CX thru HKG (OK, maybe that's not such a good choice right now,) MH thru KUL, QR thru DOH, and of course, BA direct though I've heard they use their beater equipment to and from BKK.
Old Sep 2, 19, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
Like someone else said, M&M is a calendar based program, so reaching *A G may not work for the remainder of this year. So, try one of the easier, i.e. lower threhold and maybe a 12-month from sign up programs. TK looks easy with their current status match offer, and you do need to fly TK (so you'll connect in IST probably,) but can get and keep Gold for longer if you do just 25k on TK. OZ is the other "easy" one, but they seem to be having some financial issues so while you only need 40k on any *A carrier to get Gold for up to 4 years, there is a risk.

Of course, why not just enjoy your BA status? You earned it and can make the most out of it and fly One World: CX thru HKG (OK, maybe that's not such a good choice right now,) MH thru KUL, QR thru DOH, and of course, BA direct though I've heard they use their beater equipment to and from BKK.
The one place I can see the OPs desire for M&M is the 200% earning vs 125% or 150% for business fares on easier programs. As far as I know A3 and SK are the only of the easier programs that have 200% earning for some business fares. A3 though isn't as easy as it used to be if you never fly to Greece. A3 and SK too are more selective in what they credit at 200% while M&M has quite a few airlines and fares available for that. If the OP has the 5 trips planned before Dec 31st, then more power to them, M&M will work, but if they need a revolving date program it won't be the answer.

Search this Thread