Wiki Posts
Search

Transit via BKK vs SIN?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Transit via BKK vs SIN?

Hello all,
I am doing some travel planning and I was hoping to see what you guys might think of this

I am deciding between FRA-BKK-AKL vs FRA-SIN-AKL at the end of October (flying in Economy), both first flights on an LH A380 followed by either a TG 787 or SQ 777, depending on option I go with.
Both journeys have similar durations,start and end around the same time, with a 4-5 hour transit in each airport (with the BKK option being 4 hours vs 5 hours at SIN).
I have TK *G so I intend to have a shower and visit a lounge (or lounges) to relax while getting some work done while I am stopping over.

I have not transited through BKK or flown TG before so I don't know about the airport's transit, lounge and TG's flight experiences.
I have done this through SIN before though, just wary that the Krisflyer Gold lounges were not the best (having to use the paid lounge showers instead), however Changi is such a breeze to get around so that's a big plus.
From your experience, which option would you go for and why?

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
LAX/HKG likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I would choose SIN simply because the transit experience is so easy. The KF lounges are not brilliant though but in T1 there is a TG lounge but it's only open at certain times of the day but that's the only option as a *G to the KF lounges. FWIW the SQ business lounges aren't that brilliant either and SQ trades a lot on past reputation as something special which these days it isn't.

At BKK you obviously have the TG lounges as well as an SQ one but I think there are two better options, the Eva lounge and also the new Turkish one, both are way better than any Thai lounge and definitely better than the KF lounges in SIN. You are however transiting BKK and as ever, the wonders of Amazing Thailand can strike at any time though generally BKK is OK - it's just not Changi.

The TG 787 is 9 across in Y as is the SQ 777 so the latter has to be more spacious. TG service is fine, it's not as polished as SQ but IMO the food is often better but that's personal taste.
tps0224 and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:43 pm

at SIN, note that the KF lounges don't have showers*. I don't think the TG lounge has showers either

*technically the KF lounge at T3 is under renovation, the temporary replacement lounge do have showers (not sure if *G has access to it for free, or when this arrangement will change)
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...er-gold-lounge
tps0224 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Changi is definitely a nicer airport to spend a few hours.
tps0224 and Markie like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I transit through both airports on a regular basis. If I have a 4-5 hour transit, I would definitely choose BKK over SIN, just because of the TG lounges over SQ lounges. In SIN, Star Gold status only gets you access to the SQ Kris Flyer lounges, which don’t have showers. After a long flight there is nothing I would like more than a shower before the next leg/flight. SQ Kris Flyer lounges in SIN don’t even have toilets inside. You have to walk outside the lounge and use the public toilets, which is not very convenient. The TG lounges in BKK have showers and some cubicles with beds that you can nap in.

The one thing I don’t like about BKK is that on arrival, you have to go through security before you get into the departure area. The problem with this is that if you arrive at a busy time, the security line can be very long. And if you have a short layover, it can be a problem. When you arrive at SIN, you walk out to the departure area and you only do security at the departure gate. So it is a much shorter security line.

If you have a longer layover SIN can be nice because it is very convenient to put your hand luggage in left-luggage (storage) and take the MRT into the city. You do have the same thing in BKK, but somehow I trust the Singaporean transport system to work of efficiently and punctually. There is also the new Jewel Changi at SIN, but I think it is just an overrated mall.
tps0224 and Offthegrid like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrpete
I would choose SIN simply because the transit experience is so easy. The KF lounges are not brilliant though but in T1 there is a TG lounge but it's only open at certain times of the day but that's the only option as a *G to the KF lounges. FWIW the SQ business lounges aren't that brilliant either and SQ trades a lot on past reputation as something special which these days it isn't.

At BKK you obviously have the TG lounges as well as an SQ one but I think there are two better options, the Eva lounge and also the new Turkish one, both are way better than any Thai lounge and definitely better than the KF lounges in SIN. You are however transiting BKK and as ever, the wonders of Amazing Thailand can strike at any time though generally BKK is OK - it's just not Changi.

The TG 787 is 9 across in Y as is the SQ 777 so the latter has to be more spacious. TG service is fine, it's not as polished as SQ but IMO the food is often better but that's personal taste.
I have just checked again, I was mistaken the first time - it will actually be a SQ A380 for SIN-AKL, so I'll aim for the seats upstairs which have the best 2-4-2 arrangement!

Originally Posted by paperwastage
at SIN, note that the KF lounges don't have showers*. I don't think the TG lounge has showers either

*technically the KF lounge at T3 is under renovation, the temporary replacement lounge do have showers (not sure if *G has access to it for free, or when this arrangement will change)
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...er-gold-lounge
I have just learned about this, looks like I would get access but it looks like there's overcrowding issues.
Might give this one shot, hopefully won't have to be sitting on the ground...
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
While the SQ A380 might be desirable, the lounges at BKK are a whole lot better and that's the route I'd take for that reason alone. If you don't fancy the TG lounges then you have several other options We spent a couple hours in the BR lounge not too long ago and I was very please with it. TK lounges are typically very good too but I haven't been to the BKK one.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
The TK lounge in BKK is very new but I was lucky enough to be in it last week and it's excellent. That and the BR one are way ahead of the TG and SQ offerings lounge wise.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
To chip in I would prefer TG in Economy rather than SQ. In particular if flying in Oct (still low season to Thailand) there is a good chance of an empty seat next to you. Seats also feel less cramped with TG IMO.

The BR lounge at BKK is very nice - much nicer than the Kris Flyer lounge at SIN for Star Alliance Gold. I have yet to try the new TK lounge at BKK. So I would vote for TG via BKK.
tps0224 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by tps0224
I have just checked again, I was mistaken the first time - it will actually be a SQ A380 for SIN-AKL, so I'll aim for the seats upstairs which have the best 2-4-2 arrangement!

I have just learned about this, looks like I would get access but it looks like there's overcrowding issues.
Might give this one shot, hopefully won't have to be sitting on the ground...
*G definitely has access to replacement lounge.

I'm talking about whether *G has access to showers for free. Technically the showers are a paid line item in the lounge price list. Priority Pass access doesn't need to pay for showers(at the marbaha lounge and other Changi lounges), not sure about *G

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 19, 2019 at 8:06 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's more to an airport than lounges. BKK is overall a horrible airport; SIN is in many respects the best in the world. And I wouldn't want to spend 5 hours in any of the *A lounges at BKK (either separately or together).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's more to an airport than lounges. BKK is overall a horrible airport; SIN is in many respects the best in the world. And I wouldn't want to spend 5 hours in any of the *A lounges at BKK (either separately or together).
I guess it depends on how you spend your time on long layovers. I personally very rarely do any shopping at all or visit other facilities of an airport, except the lounge. I'd prefer to find a place with a power outlet, sit down and just work on my PC until it's time to go to the next flight, even if that's an extended layover. 5 hours isn't really enough to leave the airport at either city, but SIN you could get out and do a little if determined... BKK, not so much.

Having said that, agreed, BKK is a horrible airport. The design with the super long terminals leaves much to be desired. But I'd still rather deal with it, get a refreshing shower and some decent food at a BKK lounge than I would explore the wonders of Changi outside the lounge. Changi is a superior airport in every way, except the lounges, so that comes down to personal preference and priority.
sooge_sj likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Changi is a superior airport in every way, except the lounges, so that comes down to personal preference and priority.
Agree.

Personally, with five hours I'd get a room at the transit hotel at Changi (the one with the pool). And spend some time exploring the terminals.

I just spent five hours at the Sakura lounge HND and wow did that get old.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
I think if OP is looking to just stay in the lounge to work + shower during the transit, then given that OP will only have a *G card, BKK is the better choice. Even before the renovation started for the KrisGold lounge at SIN, the BR and SQ lounges at BKK were both superior it. Haven't been to BKK since the TK lounge opened, but have heard good things about it too.

Would agree overall though that SIN is by far the better airport, so much so that I don't really mind if I have lounge access or not there. BKK really does feel like a shopping mall with some air bridges attached. That said, went through in February this year, stuck to the lounges and it wasn't too painful. Main obvious difference is that when transiting (at least INT-INT) you go through security at a central point before re entering airside as opposed to the security at the gate system at SIN. Other issue is to make sure you know where your gate is as the walk can be a long one if it's at the other end of the airport.

As for SQ vs TG on board in Y, I'd say that SQ is a bit better, but I wouldn't hesitate to fly TG either. Main difference to me was the food is slightly better on SQ and the service overall is more polished on SQ too. If SQ is 5 stars, then TG is 4-4.5, I think.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I’ve done all the *G lounges at BKK (origin pax so didn’t need a shower). The best for me by far are the SQ and BR lounges (SQ better but BR has the wacky neon lights so worth a visit). The TK lounge was pretty meh (nowhere near as good as their IAD lounge) and the less said about TG the better.

Personally I’d much prefer to connect at SIN. You get straight onto the concourse with security at the departure gate. And there’s so much to see that could kill a couple of hours or more before you even consider a lounge. The only lounges I used at SIN were SQ’s business class lounges in T3 (excellent) and T2 (disappointing). I’d assume their *G lounge is a notch down from those. Having heard about the poor SQ *G lounges there if flying Y I’d switch to Priority Pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.