Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit via BKK vs SIN?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Having heard about the poor SQ *G lounges there if flying Y I’d switch to Priority Pass.
There are several Priority Pass lounges at SIN . . . I've been to SATS and it's not bad at all. Food is actually pretty good.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Personally I’d much prefer to connect at SIN. You get straight onto the concourse with security at the departure gate.
I view security at the departure gate as a negative, quite a strong negative actually. Especially when flying economy, I like to bring my own drink onboard so I don't have to be concerned with service times or getting up to chase down the FAs hanging out in the galley on long hauls. You can't do that with security at the gate, only at centralized security airports. (ok, so some airports with this system may have vending machines at the gate post security, but they are far more limited in selection compared to what you find outside and often accept local currency only which a transit traveler is less likely to have).
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
To me, this is a no-brainer - I would much prefer to connect at SIN. Even travelling F on TG, when I am greeted at the gate and transported to the lounge by buggy,
is an inferior transfer experience compared to SIN.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I have decided to book through SIN as a new work thing has cropped up suddenly and the 5 hour stopover actually gives me a chance to quickly cross the border and meet someone at the airport.
Hopefully there won't be too much of a fight for space in the T3 SQ replacement lounge...

Will still take your comments into account for next time though, maybe I'll try BKK in the coming months
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
SIN is the more efficient airport but on a long transfer efficiency isn't really such a big deal... and the lousy *G lounge situation comes into play. In your scenario I'd choose BKK for the lounges... except now SIN has The Jewel, which is actually pretty fun to explore, is quite a sight, is an easy walk from each terminal but enough to get the blood flowing and stretch your legs, and has some quite atmospheric food/drink places overlooking the crazy rainforest waterfall. You do have to enter Singapore to visit it, which can actually be a little bit slow and hectic, but I'd say that's worth doing. If you have to meet a colleague, maybe you can meet them there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.