Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Have Star Alliance Partners Stopped Rewarding Miles?

Old Aug 14, 19, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP 1 Million, 1K

I was shocked to learn - after the fact - that a flight that I booked directly through the Turkish Airlines web-site, which I presumed to be full fare, provided absolutely NO miles on the outbound journey. Strangely I did receive miles for the return portion. Has anyone else experienced this? I spoke with the Mileage Plus rep at UA - where I use all my miles - and they explained that you have to check the fare status and some Star Alliance airlines simply do not offer miles for certain fares. This is the first time it has happened to me in over two million miles with Star Alliance partners.

- Has anyone else experienced this?
- Is this a new trend? I thought every flight offers miles.

Interested about other travelers' experiences.

Last edited by QameraTravels; Aug 14, 19 at 3:40 pm Reason: update
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:34 pm

Has been like that since many years. Best example P fares (business) on LH!
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP 1 Million, 1K
Thanks. I've must woken up.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:49 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Cheap fares on SQ are another trap..... some Business fares on AC only credit as Y.... its a minefield...
Old Aug 15, 19, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
There are many many fares that don't earn miles at all, but are sold on the carrier's website or even third party booking sites like Expedia. Just offhand, I run into these quite often for TG, SQ, BR, OZ, TK (in regards to earning in MileagePlus), and I'm sure there are many more that I just don't encounter in my own travels. You always have to be careful about what fare class you're buying and some websites make that more difficult than others. Personally if in doubt, try to recreate the same price on Expedia, they have a very easy way to see the fare class... however there are some fares that are only available on the carrier's own site (and the ones most likely to be non-earning in other programs).

Each Star Alliance carrier has different agreements with each other Star Alliance airline about how the miles will credit in their program for flights on the partner carrier, so you'll find they are wildly different depending on which program you credit to.. as another poster mentioned LH P fares, which is a discount business class fare, but doesn't earn miles in the majority of *A FF programs, ET has a P fare as well that only earns in their own program and CA's.

Of course if you only credit to UA MileagePlus they use their website to check what you'd earn on a given fare class, but if you are curious what a certain fare class would earn in all other programs you can check on wheretocredit.com

UA used to be pretty generous and had 100% earning on quite a chunk of *A partners for all or most revenue fares, but those days are long gone and now there are heaps of 25% or 50% earning fares (I don't think the 0% fares have changed, most are still the same they have been for years unless the partner airline has updated fare class structures).
Old Aug 17, 19, 10:16 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Sorry you bumped into this, many of us have had similar experiences one way or another. I got slightly burned once, although nowhere near LH P severity and have been extra careful since.

Wheretocredit.com has been reliable for my needs.
lhrpete and SightseeMC like this.